Toyota/Subaru "ToyoBaru/FT86" Car Thread(Updated 11/9/12) - Page 4 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 2057 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Exclusive Agent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok, I'm ready to see Toyota drop the ball on this one. Drops 40hp...."trying to be more of an eco car"....that doesn't sell to me very well..and I'm 30, right in their new demographic.

...........:::::::: Jay Marino ::::::::...............
..... 2005 Lexus ES330 (current beater) ......
.............. 2013 Lexus CT200h (sold) ..........
.......... 2003 GGP SportDesign (sold)...........
.......... 2002 DWP IS300 Turbo (sold)..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 2057 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMarino View Post
Ok, I'm ready to see Toyota drop the ball on this one. Drops 40hp...."trying to be more of an eco car"....that doesn't sell to me very well..and I'm 30, right in their new demographic.
I was hoping for a powerful 300HP+ engine. Instead, they drop the horsepower. Come on Toyota! Get with the program here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #48 of 2057 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Guru

If the power to weight ratio is higher despite 40 hp, it's gotta be a big change in weight. The market is flooded with fat high hp cars, so it's good to see them stay on target.

Of course I doubt their improved power to weight ratio claim, more likely is a fat low hp eco car.
post #49 of 2057 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Übercargeek

The president of Toyota USA speaks out on the Toyobaru coupe

Sports Car Could Be Scion or Toyota, Lentz Says
By Christie Schweinsberg - WardsAuto.com

Toyota Motor Corp.’s upcoming new “affordable” sports car alluded to by President and CEO Akio Toyoda in a speech here today will be branded either a Toyota or Scion, a top U.S. official says.

The sports car is the famed “Toyobaru” rear-wheel-drive model Toyota is co-developing with Subaru-maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., Jim Lentz, president-Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. reveals in a media roundtable at the 2009 Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars.

“I think it’s going to be great for sales and great for the Toyota image,” Lentz says of the car, which Toyota is fast-tracking for production in a “few years,” as it tries to inject some vigor into its lineup.

Lentz says the model has been on a short-list for production, but Toyota prioritized the Venza cross/utility vehicle ahead of the sports car.

"I can’t say if we would have been better off bringing a sports car forward as opposed to the Venza,” Lentz says. “I think (the) Venza was the better decision to make.”

“Global limited resources” hampered an earlier debut of the sporty model. He refuses to say if it is more of a “sports car” or “sports coupe.”

In February, Toyota-brand Group Vice President Bob Carter told Ward’s a sports car was desired but not a priority given tight product-development resources.

Toyota models, Lentz admits, “could be more passionate and could have better styling,” but that doesn’t necessarily mean the car will be branded a Toyota. Scion is due for a next-generation tC sport coupe, on sale in its current form since 2004.

Lentz says if the new model were to be branded a Toyota, there likely would be some market cannibalization from the tC. He says unequivocally the tC will have a next generation.

Pricing for the new sports car has yet to be determined, but Lentz says it will be important to price it within reach of Generation-Y buyers.

Volume targets also are unclear, but “high-volume and sports car are often difficult to use in the same sentence.”

Meanwhile, the Lexus LF-A supercar that Toyoda announced earlier today would go into production will be retailed in the U.S.

Whether the model will be available in both coupe and convertible form is still to be determined, as is pricing and its target demographic.

It is possible Toyota will be able to conquest Italian exotics with the LF-A, but officials say it also could appeal to current Lexus owners. The ideal buyer would be a person with a Lexus LS and an Italian exotic already in the garage.

While it will be a very low-volume model, bringing the LF-A to market will be important for Lexus to showcase its technological prowess, Lentz says.

Sports Car Could Be Scion or Toyota, Lentz Says

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #50 of 2057 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Toyota's new president plans to fast-track new sports car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorAuthority
Fans of Toyota's sporting history have often lamented the current lineup of perfectly competent yet decidedly boring offerings, calling them 'appliances'. The days of the Supra, Celica and MR-2 may yet return, however, with new president Akio Toyoda at the helm.

Speaking today at the 2009 Center for Automotive Research (CAR) Conference, Toyoda said, "My hope is that I can transfer some enthusiasm from the race track to our vehicles and make driving fun for our customers around the world.

"And to that point, I am happy to announce this morning that Toyota plans to build an exciting...fun-to-drive...affordable sports car and launch it within the next few years.

"I am very excited about it...and I plan to fast-track it."

That could mean a debut of the new car as early as 2011 or 2012, which would put the vehicle right on schedule for the 086A joint project currently being developed with Subaru.

That car is expected to be a RWD sports coupe powered by a naturally-aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine rated in the neighborhood of 200hp. Some reports have the car being sold in the U.S. as a Scion, which would help mate the car with Toyoda's statements about affordability and excitement.

Whatever the car ends up being, or looking like, it's exciting to see such enthusiasm for driving, racing and cars in general at the head of Toyota. Let the talk of a Supra revival - hybrid or not - begin!
Toyota's new president plans to fast-track new sports car - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

Quote:
Quote:
post #51 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Übercargeek

Toyota's FT-86 Concept revealed!

Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachiroku
by Damon Lavrinc - Autoblog

Toyota's President Akio Toyoda has said the automaker is in desperate need of an excitement injection, and here's the first dose: the Toyota FT-86 Concept.

Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept was designed by the automaker's ED2 styling studio in France and bears a remarkable resemblance to the FT-HS concept shown at the Detroit Auto Show several years back.

Since it's a "concept," Toyota hasn't divulged much about the FT-86 yet, but we do know it's powered by a Subaru-derived 2.0-liter boxer four sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling and, according to one source, the platform is unique to the concept. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity in check, and the overall dimensions of Toyota's new 2+2 are 163.78 inches long and 69.29 inches wide, with a wheelbase of 101.18 inches.

After the FT-86 bows in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show next month, the production model will be shown sometime next year with sales beginning sometime in late 2011 carrying a sticker price somewhere north of $20,000.

PRESS RELEASE

1. FT-86 Concept (world premiere)
The FT-86 ("86" pronounced "hachi roku"), a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car, provides driving joy and excitement.

* Compact design gives driver greater control, while body's lightness and low center of gravity allow racecar-like handling
* Both power and environmental performance provided by 2-liter boxer engine and light body
* Flash Red body color contains hint of blue; interior expresses modern feel with minimal coverage of the highly refined structural components evoking enthusiasm for cruising

Length: 4,160 mm (163.7")
Width: 1,760 mm (69.3")
Height: 1,260 mm (49.6")
Wheelbase: 2,570 mm (101.2")
Seating: 4

Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachi-Roku — Autoblog

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #52 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Imperessive. I was all excited when the Genesis coupe came out, but a bit disappointd by its weight and (for todays market) low 4 cylinder power output. Sounds like Toyota may have the weight thing under control, but if there's no turbo under the hood I will still be left wanting.

Body looks great, like a smaller and MUCH more affordable LF-A. This car may be worth the wait. Welcome back to the cheap speed side of the market, Toyota.

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #53 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

#1 is the radio zippered in behind a leather dash?!

#2 the Subaru variant MUST be AWD or they will have to ditch their slogan "The beauty of AWD"

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #54 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 AM
\/ Awesome \/

That car is way too out there to be a toyota....it'll never happen, at least not looking like that.

I really like the front. Any word on power output or more importantly...weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #55 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
That car is way too out there to be a toyota....it'll never happen, at least not looking like that.

I really like the front. Any word on power output or more importantly...weight?
Not at this point, unfortunately.

Educated guesses have been on a 2-liter, 200 hp flat four and a curb weight no greater than 2800 lbs.

post #56 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Exclusive Agent

Love it, Love it, Love it.
Interior is a little crazy.

Some people say that Toyota is too conservative with no RWD cars and main stream styling. This is going to change that.

...........:::::::: Jay Marino ::::::::...............
..... 2005 Lexus ES330 (current beater) ......
.............. 2013 Lexus CT200h (sold) ..........
.......... 2003 GGP SportDesign (sold)...........
.......... 2002 DWP IS300 Turbo (sold)..........
post #57 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Guru

I like it! Toyota, please build this car. They're the only car manufacturer that don't have a single sportcar model, oh and Buick. And i'm not including the Scion. That's quite pathetic IMO.
post #58 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Love it, Love it, Love it.
Interior is a little crazy.

Some people say that Toyota is too conservative with no RWD cars and main stream styling. This is going to change that.
Absolutely! I think this will be my "car-after-next"...

post #59 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
That didn't take long. Hot on the heels of the Toyota FT-86 Concept's reveal, we've got videographic proof that ToMoCo's new boxer-powered 2+2 is bound for the virtual circuits of Gran Turismo 5.

Make the jump to see a darkened shot of the C-4S flat-four underhood, followed by the FT-86 romping through some European backroads, running a street circuit and then sliding sideways at Tsukuba with its predecessor and inspiration, the original Toyota AE86 Corolla.
VIDEO: Toyota FT-86 Concept finds its way into Gran Turismo 5 — Autoblog

Quote:
Quote:
post #60 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Quote:
Let's hope it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page