Toyota/Subaru "ToyoBaru/FT86" Car Thread(Updated 11/9/12) - Page 138 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2056 of 2057 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Former IS owner here. Purchased a 6MT BRZ in Sept. 2100 miles so far and haven't had any of the CEL issues a lot of people are having. Only issue I have right now is the clicking rear deck, which I hope I can get rid of with one of the DIY fixes. Can't wait till I throw some mods on this bad boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2057 of 2057 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Black Hole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Bump from way back.

I still have the FR-S. I believe it has about 50k miles on it now. It's my wife's summer daily and it really hasn't seen any mods.

As an early production car, it had some issues to be addressed. There was condensation in the tailights, squeaky high pressure fuel pump, code for the cam sensors and a few other things that I had done before the bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out. Total for the warranty work (to Toyota) was about $4000. That was in June of last year.

Right around Halloween of last year, I was driving home and the dashboard lit ALL the lights. I lost power. Engine stalled and wouldn't start. I coasted over to a parking lot and called my wife. I told her to bring her AAA card. AAA took about 3 hours to get there, but that's not Toyota's fault. We eventually got it towed to the dealer.

It spent the next month at the dealer getting its engine replaced under the powertrain warranty. The car had 39k miles on it at the time. Total for the engine replacement (it wasn't prices on my sheet but I saw it on the service advisor's paperwork) was $17,9xx charged to Toyota. Considering the no-haggle price of this car was around $24k, I don't think anyone but the service techs made money on this car.

The car is still on original wheels and tires, but it does spend a portion of the year wearing snow tires. Stock tires are probably going to go soon, and I will replace them with something a little stickier but I won't waste fast-wearing tires on the wife's highway commute. No real plans for any modifications since I don't know if we're keeping it. We may sell it and get a Focus ST, or may just keep it. I should probably start shopping for junkyard engines just to have a spare available for the next catastrophic engine failure.

Overall I've enjoyed the car over time we've owned it and certainly don't regret buying this over the limited alternatives available at the time. Despite the engine chewing itself to shit before 40k miles, I still give this two thumbs up.

-Justin

Cunt. Cunt. Cunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page