Talk me out of it:2012 Mustang GT - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Technical Poseur
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 23,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
           
One thing I never understood about the US manufacturers, why do they try to compete with the imports price wise? With tariffs and other expenses they should be able to blow the imports out of the water price wise. But much like Detroit of old, theyre trying to squeeze every penny out of every sale, not because they have to but because they want to.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
-Tom- is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 8,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckolsen View Post
This is my problem with Ford - their much improved quality and design has been accompanied by much increased prices. And in many cases, over the top designs.
Base GT is at 29k MSRP, and you could probably get it a few thousand cheaper with rebates and a bit of haggling. I don't think that's too bad, mines a bit more because I'm getting 19's with pirelli rubber, 14" Brembo Brakes, etc, none of that is cheap even after market.
JaysonMFK is offline  
post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Deity
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Driving around in my econo-box...
Posts: 11,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
One thing I never understood about the US manufacturers, why do they try to compete with the imports price wise? With tariffs and other expenses they should be able to blow the imports out of the water price wise. But much like Detroit of old, theyre trying to squeeze every penny out of every sale, not because they have to but because they want to.
Huh? Go find me a 400+hp import for under $40k.

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Camaro exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 426 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night... This is black sunshine.

Coming soon: Your mother
scottycameron is offline  
post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 8,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
Huh? Go find me a 400+hp import for under $40k.
If I get it will you be pissed if I make my sig. this?

"Gripping the wheel, his knuckles
Went white with desire! The wheels
Of his Mustang exploding on the
Highway like a slug from a .45.
True death: 400 horsepower of
Maximum performance piercing the
Night... This is black sunshine.
"

You know, the real words to the song
JaysonMFK is offline  
post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Posts: 4,895
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Dude don't turn into HotIce and keep posting in this thread without buying the car!

2010 Jaguar XFR - Mina exhaust with powdercoated tips, custom X-pipe, Mina carbon fiber front diffusers, hood louvers, mirrors and side vents, powdercoated stock Nevis wheels
The PL: It's all politics.
WRXtranceformed is offline  
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 8,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Posting!

But that sounds fair enough, I'll post pics when I get it, otherwise I'll let it die.
JaysonMFK is offline  
post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: On the move
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
One thing I never understood about the US manufacturers, why do they try to compete with the imports price wise? With tariffs and other expenses they should be able to blow the imports out of the water price wise. But much like Detroit of old, theyre trying to squeeze every penny out of every sale, not because they have to but because they want to.
Yeah, in the early 80's the big three auto makers met with congress and stated that they couldn't compete with all the low priced, fuel efficient compact cars imported from Japan. They asked for tariffs on the imports which would give them a price advantage and time to retool to become more competetive. The day after the tax on imports went into effect, all three auto makers raised the price of their cars by the same amount.

During the same time they spent millions and millions on advertising campaigns guilting consumers to 'buy american' instead of producing better cars for those same Americans.

IS300 - it's a Love/Hate relationship.
valhallab is offline  
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Anti-Matter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Latin hotties, thongs, sunshine and mojitos
Posts: 28,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
Dude don't turn into HotIce and keep posting in this thread without buying the car!
In order to do that he'd need to start about 25 different threads about the new car he's getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
A sexy White chick can crash my Bimmer (I have insurance on the car anyway) for all I care. <-- Seriously.

Just cum over to my place and realize why I can catch three donuts without my hands. lol
DJPoop is offline  
post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon
Posts: 4,895
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
In order to do that he'd need to start about 25 different threads about the new car he's getting.
So true.

BTW I saw a 2012 graphite colored 5.0 with some kind of exhaust and it sounded like sex on wheels. It reminded me a lot of the sound of the 4V in the old Terminators which imo is one of the best sounding engines ever made.

2010 Jaguar XFR - Mina exhaust with powdercoated tips, custom X-pipe, Mina carbon fiber front diffusers, hood louvers, mirrors and side vents, powdercoated stock Nevis wheels
The PL: It's all politics.
WRXtranceformed is offline  
post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM
...
 
anfro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson
Posts: 13,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
I would get that bright blue color, not sure what the name is. Tits.
anfro is offline  
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfro View Post
I would get that bright blue color, not sure what the name is. Tits.
Looks like Carolina blue to me. Gag.

I think if I could get a free new car under $50k, it would be the GT550 in black with Recaro seats. I like other cars but that's just badass.
ckolsen is offline  
post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Technical Poseur
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 23,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
Huh? Go find me a 400+hp import for under $40k.
I'm talking about the Taurus SHO and all of their other basic cars. The Mustang is the anomaly of their lineup. Its a fantastic car for the price. EVERYTHING ELSE THOUGH is over priced in their lineup.

How is Toyota able to sell the Yaris here for $100 cheaper than Ford sells the Fiesta yet Toyota has to pay import tariffs on the Yaris? Seriously. Chevrolet was only able to do it with the Aveo by IMPORTING a car (yes I know the Fiesta is made in Mexico) and slapping a badge on it. Same goes with Their compact, mid size and full size offerings. Everything is around the same price point. We should absolutely blow them out of the water by a couple grand.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
-Tom- is offline  
post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
...
 
anfro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson
Posts: 13,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Health and Union benefits?
anfro is offline  
post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
How is Toyota able to sell the Yaris here for $100 cheaper than Ford sells the Fiesta yet Toyota has to pay import tariffs on the Yaris?
Don't think the US applies any import duties on foreign cars. Maybe it did sometime in the past.
ckolsen is offline  
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Anti-Matter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Latin hotties, thongs, sunshine and mojitos
Posts: 28,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
I'm talking about the Taurus SHO and all of their other basic cars. The Mustang is the anomaly of their lineup. Its a fantastic car for the price. EVERYTHING ELSE THOUGH is over priced in their lineup.

How is Toyota able to sell the Yaris here for $100 cheaper than Ford sells the Fiesta yet Toyota has to pay import tariffs on the Yaris? Seriously. Chevrolet was only able to do it with the Aveo by IMPORTING a car (yes I know the Fiesta is made in Mexico) and slapping a badge on it. Same goes with Their compact, mid size and full size offerings. Everything is around the same price point. We should absolutely blow them out of the water by a couple grand.
Tom economics fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
A sexy White chick can crash my Bimmer (I have insurance on the car anyway) for all I care. <-- Seriously.

Just cum over to my place and realize why I can catch three donuts without my hands. lol
DJPoop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Is joliva General Discussion 33 10-05-2011 01:02 AM
[Video]:InsideLine Test: 2012 Nissan GT-R vs 2012 Lexus LF-A -=Hot|Ice=- The Garage 83 04-25-2011 12:23 PM
INdycar 2012 pburnett The Garage 0 12-15-2010 06:41 PM
2012 IS facelift stereovision Showroom 2 07-02-2010 10:13 AM
2012 Mazda RX-9... I want!! NaFooEsi The Garage 21 01-02-2008 01:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome