Spy Shots: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Facelift - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Deity
 
LexIShirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar View Post
Shirm, you're right about the value part. And I see your point about the technology...therefore, I must recant my statements about Lexus not introducing any significant (good) new technology in their cars. I've been on this forum since before the IS came out, and I was ridiculously excited about the IS300...even owned one for a short period of time (sold it to get a manual, but never got one)...when the IS350 came out, it was the best car in its car, on paper, at least...styling, as always, is subjective. The only thing it lacked, IMO, was the balanced chassis/suspension tuning that BMW offers in the 3 series (or rather their entire lineup). Lexus has tried very, very hard, but not gone all the way. Perhaps they can't do it on their own (no insult to the Japs), and should consider hiring some German engineers, who can help them inject some "passion" in their cars. Lexus makes damn good cars, but IMO, they're still not at par with the Germans. They don't go all out, they don't update their cars often enough, and they sure as hell don't lead the pack in terms of performance and handling, both of which have become increasingly important to buyers (regardless of whether they ever push their cars to their limits). I agree with most of your points, but the fact remains that Lexus/Toyota still just builds very good, reliable appliances. The S550 is cars people desire, as is the 7 series...Lexus is for "sensible" people, who care about quality above all else.

I just about agree with everything you've said right here. I have had extensive time driving my sport package IS350 (obviously) and driving my cousins 328i coupe sports package ... and while I feel that the 3 series handling is a bit over rated in being THAT much greater then the IS, I do definitely feel that the car is more suited for hard corners and track runs. The biggest problem I feel with the Lexus is you have no clue where the front wheels are, so you never get a feeling for what the car can and cannot do, as in the 3 series you feel like you are extension of the steering wheel, so you feel quite the connection. As far as capability in what the cars can perform in the city I think they are basically identical in what they can accomplish, if you are going for a track run, ok give it to the 3 series ... but just about everyone here drives the streets, not the track.

My biggest problem with Lexus as you mentioned is they fail to accomplish in making that "GOT TO HAVE IT FACTOR", they are slow to introduce new products, and they let models cycle on to long without improving them ... while the German's have something new up there sleeves it seems every single day. Although with the introduction of the ISF, LFA(L, or whatever the fuck they plan to call it), and F products, I hope Lexus will bring up the game a bit, but I hold my breath.

One issue I have with what you said is Lexus is for "sensible" people, and in most of there model line up I would definitely agree ... but personally, I am not the sensible type of car shopper. The IS350 is 328i money, that was my cap to spend around 42k. If I had the money for a 335i, sure I would have purchased it but when you have a set limit, you have to make your choices and when you look at the two spec to spec it is hard to buy the BMW because of pure "passion", the IS offered more features, more power, more everything ... that is why I got it, not because I am a Lexus fan boy.

Yes, the S and 7 are more desirable vehicles, but that desire comes with a huge price premium, so Lexus makes a compelling case for itself at all times. That is my only real point in all this...Lexus is competitive.

I agree with what you've said though, well written.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.


2010 Audi A5.
LexIShirm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Your Dad
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 13,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
why the hell has this become a "this brand is better than that brand because i'm totally biased" thread?

you guys are lost.

*just another My.IS AzN*
petaa7 is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 8,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaa7 View Post
why the hell has this become a "this brand is better than that brand because i'm totally biased" thread?

you guys are lost.

Speaking of Hyundai, DJ AM was found dead apparently from a drug overdose today.
twin is offline  
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Deity
 
LexIShirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin View Post
Speaking of Hyundai, DJ AM was found dead apparently from a drug overdose today.
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.


2010 Audi A5.
LexIShirm is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Deity
 
LexIShirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaa7 View Post
why the hell has this become a "this brand is better than that brand because i'm totally biased" thread?

you guys are lost.
Actually it is quite logical. The discussion of Hyundai raising the bar, lead to the discussion of its main target Lexus, then lead to the discussion of how Lexus fits into the luxury market these days. Plus, why does it matter, it was a good back and forth argument, no feelings hurt. Usually a thread like this would get 5 posts, you expect 3 pages of discussion on the Genesis facelift? Who cares what this thread turned into, aslong as there is no flaming.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.


2010 Audi A5.
LexIShirm is offline  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Your Dad
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 13,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
kiss me at midnight??
...dude...of topic man...

*just another My.IS AzN*
petaa7 is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Deity
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
Bro, I give you more credit then this, I don't consider you retarded, but some of the replies you are making are having me wonder. Every bit of evidence I give you, you use the same lame ass reply. What on earth do you mean when you say "How are they being competitive when they are priced 15k less?" ... is that a joke, or a serious question? You're original point of view on this thread was that Lexus used to offer comparable vehicles to the german competition but for less money, and now they don't. I gave you evidence how that is unchanged and you respond that this is not keeping it competitive? If Lexus is offering the LS for 15k less then the S550 and they are comparable vehicles, then that is quite competitive, I don't know how that is even arguable.

Then you say "If were going to buy a Lexus, The GS and LS would be the only ones I'd buy" ... ummm... what other sedans does Lexus offer? The LS and GS are the highest level sedans Lexus offers and you just said they are good, so what is your point? It seems like you are trying to dog on the IS individually, and why wouldn't you, you drive a 3 series ... but I find it hard to beleive how you can say the LS and GS are good but the IS is not. The only sedan I can agree with you on is the ES, but I don't even consider that a Lexus.

Name on piece of technology and innovation that your BMW 3 series has over my IS ... please let me know, so that I can begin to recant my statements.

I am not saying Lexus is better then the German rivals, for my next car I want an A5 or a 3 series ... my point is ... Lexus is still quite competitive and has a name for itself, and offers plenty of tech.

My work here is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Deity
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
Actually it is quite logical. The discussion of Hyundai raising the bar, lead to the discussion of its main target Lexus, then lead to the discussion of how Lexus fits into the luxury market these days. Plus, why does it matter, it was a good back and forth argument, no feelings hurt. Usually a thread like this would get 5 posts, you expect 3 pages of discussion on the Genesis facelift? Who cares what this thread turned into, aslong as there is no flaming.
Rep when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Deity
 
LexIShirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
My work here is done.
You are something else man ... ... Your work is most definitely not done. I never once implied Lexus was better then the Germans. My point from the get go was that Lexus is competitive and makes a case for itself in just about every segment.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.


2010 Audi A5.
LexIShirm is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Deity
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
You are something else man ... ... Your work is most definitely not done. I never once implied Lexus was better then the Germans. My point from the get go was that Lexus is competitive and makes a case for itself in just about every segment.
Glad I could make someone smile.

My apologies, I misinterpreted your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline  
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Deity
 
LexIShirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Glad I could make someone smile.

My apologies, I misinterpreted your point.
Touch me, i've been naughty.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.


2010 Audi A5.
LexIShirm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spy Shots: Are you the 2011 Hyundai Sonata?(Updated 9/1/09) -=Hot|Ice=- The Garage 24 09-23-2009 10:08 PM
Spy Shots: 2011 Nissan GT-R spotted testing at Nürburgring? -=Hot|Ice=- The Garage 6 04-29-2009 07:53 PM
Spy Shots: 2009 Lexus IS facelift gbb357 General Discussion 23 05-13-2008 08:16 AM
Spy Shots: 2009 Lexus IS facelift gbb357 The Garage 29 05-12-2008 06:39 PM
Hyundai Genesis w/ official pic: You think Hyundai is trying to copy Lexus? gbb357 The Garage 49 01-17-2008 12:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome