User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm gonna make the switch to a manual soon

I've decided that my next car is gonna be a manual. Whether its the 330i or IS350. Can any of you give me some pointers on driving a manual? I honestly suck at driving it and I know that practice is the only way to get better. But anything I should know so I can be more comfortable while driving?

Chan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Deity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

well, at this point there is no manual for the upcoming IS350. So I guess that reduces your choices down to the 330i.

My suggestion for learning manual is NOT to do it on a 40,000 dollar car. It takes a month or more of regular driving to really "learn" manual. Sure you may get the car from point A to B after a 15 minute lesson, but you really arent driving it "right" until you have significant time behind the wheel.

With this in mind, I would not suggest learning on a brand new luxury sedan. Instead, purchase a $500 beater Honda a few months before your new car is to be delivered and drive it to and from work everyday. After 2 months behind the wheel of the honda, you will be experienced enough to drive any car "properly".

Then sell the $500 dollar honda for $400 and consider the lost 100 bucks as the best insurance you have ever bought!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Mr. Negative

you can put a 5spd in your existing car for about 4grand(as little as 3g's and that's w/ a R154 tranny from the 92turbo supra) if you want. that's what i'm about to do.

as for tips. the best thing is to watch someone drive your car and then do it yourself. the most important thing I try to tell people is to not baby it. it's mechanical and is meant to be used. let out the clutch and get on the gas.

you'll learn that your gas foot and clutch foot are closely related. as you let out the clutch and it engauges you start pushing the gas peddle so the revs don't drop. it's fun and easy.

2010 Lotus Exige S260 Sport
2007 E63 AMG
2003 IS300T 23k miles - 700whp

Sold-
Ferrari 360 F1
97 JZA80
2001 IS300T
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Aficionado

Before you get your nice 30-40k car, learn how to start driving uphill and downhill. Its a hassle learning how to control the cluth while driving uphill, its not easy at all.
Start driving in an empty parking lot, when you get good at driving the manual hit the streets then the hills.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 PM
.net superior m.f.

I had a 1971 BMW and the owners manual gave the best shifting advice I ever read. It had to do with an engine for a car is not like a gas-generator, it is designed to be cycled through many different rpms in every gear. don't be afraid to 1-6k rpms the car every time it's turned on.

of course with the GTO I had, I would try to shift @ 1k rpm to see how good gas mileage I could get around town. all that low-end torque was fun

"Science adjusts itís beliefs based on whatís observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Deus Vult

Honestly, manual is the only way to go for me right now. I moan when somebody buys a sports car like a Corvette or a 350Z/G35 and opts for the auto/semi-auto transmission. Makes me feel like a good car has gone to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Altruist

i practiced on my then-new is300...no problemo
those up hills are kinda hard tho, i used the hand brake and when the gear slowly engaged i let the hand brake off
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Guru

I can sorta drive manual, I stall occassionally but I don't see myself as a "good" manual driver. The hills are the hardest for me. Any tips on stand still starts?

Chan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Guru

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAltezza
i practiced on my then-new is300...no problemo
those up hills are kinda hard tho, i used the hand brake and when the gear slowly engaged i let the hand brake off

I prefer a different method when teaching someone to get going on an uphill.

I tell them to stay on the brake. Then watch the tach and let the clutch out slowly until they see the rpms drop a tiny bit and to hold the clutch there. Then release the brake (there will be enough drag to hold the car). Slowly ease into the gas and slowly let the clutch out. Smooth as can be even for a beginner. This has the added benefit of getting them to feel where the clutch engagement begins.

Car sold to a good new home!

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms

Last edited by TeCKis300; 05-05-2005 at 11:23 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeCKis300
I prefer a different method when teaching someone to get going on an uphill.

I tell them to stay on the brake. Then watch the tach and let the clutch out slowly until they see the rpms drop a tiny bit and to hold the clutch there. Then release the brake (there will be enough drag to hold the car). Slowly ease into the gas and slowly let the clutch out. Smooth as can be even for a beginner. This has the added benefit of getting them to feel where the clutch engagement begins.
You're good, when i first began driving manuals i would use the hand brake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page