Seeking a 2nd car, CLK 55 AMG, C5, Boxster S, M3 - Lexus IS Forum
View Poll Results: Which weekend warrior would you get?
Boxster S (986) 0 0%
AMG CLK 55 0 0%
C5 Vette 0 0%
E46 M3 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Seeking a 2nd car, CLK 55 AMG, C5, Boxster S, M3

I'm planning on keeping my IS as my daily.

Budget: 15k or less

Looking for:
- Fast (er than the IS)
- Cool factor (From a guys perspective)
- Pimp factor (I'm married, so not necessarily to pick up chicks, but something that would be cool to ride around on the weeknds with my wife or solo)
- Sport factor - I don't AutoX anymore, and most likely won't get back into it for some time as I have other hobbies for the weekend..however if I get a car like the boxster I could see myself going to events or track days.But I do enjoy spirited driving on the back roads.
- Convertible
- I like the WRX, but I'm not interested at this time.

I know all of the cars in the poll are very different so this is my thought:

CLK55: Fast, and luxury. Out of them all, this car is probably more my 'style' so to speak. I can easily pimp it out, make it sound good, nice wheels, etc.

C5: American muscle, can tune it, make it sound mean, roll around on nice summer days.. the downfall is, the flip up headlights are too old school , lol not sure how pimp they are now

BoxsterS 986: I've heard this is a REALLY fun car to driver, really a drivers car. The downside is, it's expensive to own, but if it's taken care of it can be very dependable. I'd probably bring this to auto crosses just to get the most out of it. Downfall is most peoples perceptions of boxsters which to me lowers the cool/pimp factor. Not that I care what other people think... but I don't want it ride around with the top down and get people telling me I wish it were a 911 or something. The other thing is, tuning is limited on this car. You have to spend 7grand to get 20-30hp our of it which places more stress on an already sensative engine.

M3: I place this in the same category as the boxster S. (M owners like to be compared to 911's so they'd prolly shoot me for saying this) This and the boxster are more drivers cars, probably more so on the boxster end. The M3 is nice but I don't think it's as --pimp--- per se as the AMG..just IMO..

What would you get, and why?

2001 | Silver | LSD | MSM | Graphite Wheels | SEXY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

S2000. Low maintenance costs and very reliable. Resale prices have held steady or gone up over the last few years. Slower than everything on your list but they take to supercharging very well on a stock motor and can be plenty fast.

The Corvette interior sucks and the other three sound like money pits.

Other fast convertibles around $15k:
Mustang Terminator
Crossfire SRT
BMW M Roadster

I went down this road a few years ago and went with an S2000. No regrets and I plan to get another as soon as possible.

Last edited by fwdt; 09-20-2013 at 07:38 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdt View Post
S2000. Low maintenance costs and very reliable. Resale prices have held steady or gone up over the last few years. Slower than everything on your list but they take to supercharging very well on a stock motor and can be plenty fast.

The Corvette interior sucks and the other three sound like money pits.

Other fast convertibles around $15k:
Mustang Terminator
Crossfire SRT
BMW M Roadster

I went down this road a few years ago and went with an S2000. No regrets and I plan to get another as soon as possible.
I did think about the S2000, however from reviews I've read made it seem like they're no fun until you get on it. I may have to go drive one for myself. The plus side is they're probably the cheapest to maintain amounts the bunch. Maybe I'll look into this more. What's your preferred forum for them?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

s2ki.com

I'd try to get an 02 or newer. In 04 they switched from the F20 to the F22 which added more low rpm torque and lowered the redline from 9k to around 8.5k. The suspension was changed a bit in 04 to reduced oversteer and there were changes to the wheels, lights and bumpers. 06+ added VSA.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

I've decided to go with a car that's not on the list.

SC43

Pros to this are it's luxury, cruisibility, uniqueness, somewhat performance, has a back seat(for my son), factory hard top...and probably the most reliable out of the bunch! oh yea, and 20" sport wheels, yum!

Con: It's bubbly appearance - - this can be fixed as there are some nice kits out there to give the car a little more aggressive look without getting to riced out.

Now time to find one!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I still think you should go for an m3, but the SC430 is alright. A friend of mine back in high school's brother had one and my friend took it out one day. He flipped it multiple times going 130mph and walked away without any serious injuries (just a few small bruises).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexifer View Post
I know you guys might tear me apart for this but what is a PL?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohnIS View Post
I still think you should go for an m3, but the SC430 is alright. A friend of mine back in high school's brother had one and my friend took it out one day. He flipped it multiple times going 130mph and walked away without any serious injuries (just a few small bruises).
daang flipped at 130 and walked away? 1 word, Miracle!

My issue with the m3 is I see them everyday. 2 in my neighborhood I like the car, I just want to be a lil different. The sc430 stock is okay, but "tuned" they are sick,(er) than the M3 IMHO.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

S2000's ride like shit, are cramped, and sit very very low and are a pain in the ass to get in and out of unless you are a 5'2 asian person.

o3' Graphite Grey Turbo IS300 w/ 6spd swap, ProEFi128, T6765 Billet, stock head
Going to throw a Supra tranny (V160) into your IS? Got questions? Feel free to ask me.
* * *TX2K9 & TX2K10* * *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page