rehosted - 2 vids 600hp Evo video vs. - a lot of cars - - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

^^ I don't know, - one of the turbo guys on here would probably know that kind of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Addict

Turbo's all have different limits. Depening on the size of the turbo depicts how much boost and hp you can get out of it.

Watching these vids makes me wanna go out and smash on some evo's.

Current: '03 BMW M3
Recaro | VOLK TE37's | Stoptech | Rogue Engineering | SuperSprint | Meisterschaft | VF Supercharged | AST 4100's

Gone: '03 SRT Built IS300 (615rwhp @ 19psi pump gas)
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:51
isn't it all relative to the size of the turbo? Which means Sam's 37 psi on what is more likely a larger turbo than that EVOs put out more?
Indeed. It's relative to quite a bit. I was ignoring the previous 35psi comment, as it's a bit of a blanket-statement... Unfortunately, there's a huge misconsception that boost equals power. On the stock twins, when people learned I ran 22-24lbs of boost, they'd step back in awe. I currently make more power at 15lbs of boost on my setup at the moment. Boost is only a measure of the restriction in the system (IE - Heads/cams/valves/piping/intercooler/etc) A stock longblock supra may make X hp at 30psi, change out the cams, and proceed to make that same X horsepower at 25psi or lower. It's a change in the efficiency of the motor.

While I'm on it... This "Stage 1/2/3/4/5" Bullsh*t needs to curl up and die. I understand that in the IS300 realm, it makes sense, as the manufactuers are limited, and all very similar in offerings. Within a particular like minded/like owning crowd, it makes sense... When a Honda/Chevy/Ford owner asks me what stage I'm running, it get's me a bit irked - Not that they're curious, just that they've been so unknowingly blindsided by this ricer mentality. *sigh* So much more informative - "A 71mm wheel turbo on a tubular mani". Even turbo genealogy (of sorts) is causing me grief. 60-1's, T78's, PT67's, etc... While it seems of late, the main stream tendencies with the people I run across are leaning towards Precisions, too many ways to skin the cat...

Either way, the boost a car is running does not determine how far parts will fly should the block let go. (While it does impact cylinder pressures, the boost level itself isn't a measure of this, without a measure of airflow for the particular setup.) The RPM would seem the more likely place to look out for flying parts (Clutch, flywheel, etc - Things that leave large holes in floorboards, hoods, and on unfortunate situations - people)

~Nick

I guess I'll have to put the beer down now... Just little things adding up to truly frustrate the hell out of me... The Evo bashing sounds like a good idea... I've still got some race gas in the Supra...
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Fiend

Awesome Answer...+ rep.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:51
Awesome Answer...+ rep.
Thanks for reading it through and not taking it as an attack... I may be just a "tiny" bit sensitive about things like that happening lately... I seriously couldn't stop typing though... I think I hurt my keyboard...

OT - Found out my distributor cap slipped, and the vacuum advance unit on my Firebird siezed.... Apparently I was seeing 30+ degrees of timing advance... (So that's why it felt a little sluggish... )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page