Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The pontiac bonneville is dead?

Say Goodbye to Some Nameplates as GM Refocuses

Related Links
Detroit News Article on GM's Changes

Kathy Reynolds

Created: 5/19/2005 4:21:51 PM
Updated: 5/19/2005 7:20:49 PM

Grand Rapids-General Motors is shifting gears. The auto giant tells the Detroit News it's taking a more focused approach to making cars. That'll mean big changes at local dealerships.

General Motors has 8 brand names, Buick, Pontiac and GMC among them. According to the Detroit News, their product lines are about to be trimmed.

Steve Sturim owns Steve's Antique Auto Repair, specializing in cars that have had their day, “The collector will look at what's going to be an antique."

General Motors tells the Detroit News, the Pontiac Bonneville is being eliminated.

Steve said, “It bothers me. It was all done right here with US sweat, US tools, US blood and US tears."

The tears Steve Sturim speaks of are the ones GM has cried for many years. Competition forced a drop in sales. To survive, the company must cut its product lines.

Mike Wall is an industry expert, “What they are doing is they are tightening their focus. They are going to have each brand really deliver in a certain product category.”

Buick will go somewhat upscale, create more of a sporty image for Pontiac, and GMC will be sort of the work truck

In turn, GM will invest in Saturn, doubling its line to 8 cars over the next 18 months. The idea is to reposition Saturn as upscale but affordable.

Chris Buben works for Saturn of Grand Rapids, “Now we're getting into Onstar being standard in all our vehicles in '06. And you now have leather, top of the line vehicles.”

It may be top of line for Saturn, but the end of the road for Bonneville. But Sturim suggests, maybe not.

Sturim said, “If it's in good shape and you've got the ability put it in the garage, take it out once or twice a year, it will eventually have its day it'll pay off in the long run

Wall believes the cuts will not have much affect on jobs because GM is adding lines to Saab and Hummer as well. Chevy, we're told, will remain steady.

Its almost laughable that anyone would think a bonneville will be a collectors car someday. how many were produced again?

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Garage Pit Crew Chief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

they are getting rid of the "redundant" models across the Pontiac, Buick and GMC brands .. expect to see a lot of the trucks/SUVs with these 3 badges go away/merge.

I hate the Bonneville and am glad to see that ugly hunk o' metal disappear for good.

"God is my co-driver"

---Aryton Senna

01 SBM E-shift
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Deus Vult

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Does General Motors actually assume that the Bonneville will be missed?

Doubt it.

The only thing General Motors is missing about the Bonneville is the money they pissed away developing the GXP version powered by the 32v Northstar V8.

That's the only thing that will be missed in relation to that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOne
Does General Motors actually assume that the Bonneville will be missed?

Doubt it.

The only thing General Motors is missing about the Bonneville is the money they pissed away developing the GXP version powered by the 32v Northstar V8.

That's the only thing that will be missed in relation to that car.
Wasn't that thing FWD too?

2004 TCM SD E-shift
2012 RX350AWD (wife's mobile)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel
Wasn't that thing FWD too?
If I remember correctly, yes. It's been over two years almost since I sold cars, but I think it might have been FWD as with the majority of the GM passenger car lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page