Officially Official: Happy 50th - it's the MINI Coupé Concept! - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Officially Official: Happy 50th - it's the MINI Coupé Concept!

MORE PICS IN HERE: Mini Coupe Concept — Autoblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog
Rumors have been swirling for months about what BMW would do on August 26, 2009 for its Mini brand. After all, that is the fiftieth anniversary of the public debut of Alec Issigonis' original Mini. With most of the speculation revolving around either a coupe or some kind of cropped windshield speedster, it turns out the reality was somewhere in between. Unlike the original coupe of the Sixties that simply had a fastback replacement for the standard square-back roof, the new MINI Coupé Concept completely replaces everything from the beltline up. The upright windshield that has been part of the Mini look from day one is finally swept back and a truncated roof covers the remaining two seats.

All pretenses of being a four seater has finally been dispensed with for the new coupe. The shape of the roof indicates that should Mini move ahead with production, and it could easily be replaced by a folding fabric unit to create the anticipated speedster model. What's more, dumping the rear seats means Mini could theoretically add a hefty brace back there restoring some of the structural integrity lost in the standard convertible, or perhaps restore some cargo room as compared to the Cabrio. At this point, it's unknown if those B-pillars are are tinted glass or just big solid blind spots, but visually, the lower half of the car remains pretty standard R56 John Cooper Works.

Although we don't have images of the interior yet, it sounds like it's largely standard Mini, although there are two clocks hanging off the sides of the steering column mounted tachometer much like the so-called Openometer in the convertible. One tells time while the other is a stopwatch for recording laps. The MINI Coupé Concept will be shown publicly at the Frankfurt Motor Show next month alongside the production version of the new Crossover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Take a small car and make it smaller?

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Take a small car and make it smaller?
the regular mini's back seat is not exactly useful.

Quote:
"He is not gay, he's married"

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Fiend

I actually like it. Kinda seems like you'd be staring at the dash while driving. Looks like the seats set lowww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexist7 View Post
hahahaha - if I ever saw a half inch clit I would fist fight it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Class III Aficionado

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Reminds me of a fiat 500. I like it

Vice President and CTO of The A.S.S

“I’m sorry, but having a DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch.” - Jezza
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Guru

Damn, that looks pretty cool. Having one of those for a second car would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page