Nissan's 4.0L V6 vs. Toyota's 4.0L V6...what's Toyota doing wrong??? - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
‹bercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar
I actually drove my cousin's Pathfinder Armada recently, and though that thing has crazy torque, it's got the worst build quality (1 inch panel gaps every which way) and is extremely ugly.
It gets worse. According to Consumer Reports the most unreliable new vehicle in the U.S. market is the Armada's gussied-up and further uglified fraternal twin, the Infiniti QX56. And the Armada is the most unreliable Nissan-branded vehicle. Nissan's most reliable? Ironically, the Murano!

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."óSoren Kierkegaard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4
It gets worse. According to Consumer Reports the most unreliable new vehicle in the U.S. market is the Armada's gussied-up and further uglified fraternal twin, the Infiniti QX56. And the Armada is the most unreliable Nissan-branded vehicle. Nissan's most reliable? Ironically, the Murano!
Pay attention to which Nissan vehicles had good reliability ratings and which ones were poor. You'll notice that almost all of the vehicles with poor ratings were built in the US, I think it's no coincidence that the Maxima dropped to average after production was shifted to the US. It also appears that Nissan's truck plant is particularly poor as far as reliability goes. All of the Infinitis (except for the QX56) and the Murano are still Japanese built.

I'm not saying US built vehicles are bad, just that Nissan hasn't perfected their US production lines, since it appears that Toyota and Honda are perfectly capable of designing and building highly reliable vehciles in the US.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Deity

In the world of trucks. Acceleration is very rarely an issue unless your buying a stupidity such as the dodge ram srt-10. These engines are built for low end towing power and longevity. Toyota wears the crown in this category, the category of importance. Nissan can have the 0-60 times.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.

2010 Audi A5.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar
Sure Toyota's engines last a long time, but I haven't really heard many complaints about the VQ series engines. They're not very fuel efficient, but they're powerful and reliable - which is why Nissan uses them all across their product portfolio.
I think thr VQ has decent fuel economy. My parent's Murano gets a steady 22MPG per a tank. My lower-powered FWD RX 330 gets about 21MPG. Not sure how much that has to do with the CVT tranny on the Murano.

Sam
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar View Post
Nissan's 4.0 V6 (which I believe is a VQ derivative?) makes:
265 hp @ 5600 rpm - horsepower
284 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm - torque
EPA estimated fuel consumption: 17/21 City/Highway

Toyota's 4.0 V6 (which spawned the new 3.5L in the IS) makes:
236 hp @ 5200 rpm - horsepower
266 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm - torque
EPA estimated fuel consumption: 16/20 City/Highway

One would imagine that if it made less power, it would at least get better fuel economy. Especially considering that the Tacoma weighs over 400 lbs less than the Frontier (4307 lbs vs. 3875 lbs) and has slimmer tires (P245/75R16 vs. P265/70R16).

The information is from edmunds.com. I'm not sure if Nissan is also using SAE standards. What's Nissan doing better than Toyota??
Toyota has less power and sightly less fuel mileage because it has a timing chain assembly and valve train that lasts 5 times longer than the Nissan. Nissan is proven garbage. Ever wonder why the Nissan brings nothing when used vs. the Toyota used vehicles?
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
Huh. Seems weird that I have almost 100k miles of abuse on the wife's VQ Xterra. Also, way to bring a thread back from the dead lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page