Might we see a Toyota/Mercedes/Aston Martin collaboration of some sort? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Might we see a Toyota/Mercedes/Aston Martin collaboration of some sort?

Many pundits feel that Aston Martin, now sold off by Ford, will need to hook up with another major carmaker in order to ensure its long-term survival. Many had predicted that would be Mercedes-Benz. (see https://my.is/forums/f104/mercedes-bu...martin-357858/ ). A couple of broad hints have been dropped, however, that Aston may, instead, start collaborating with Toyota:

1) A recent Automotive News article on whether or not new Toyota President Akio Toyoda will continue his part-time auto racing ambitions states that: "Toyoda, who races under the pseudonym "Morizo" on the Gazoo Racing team...in a 2007 entry in a blog he writes under the same name on GAZOO.com writes about running into Aston Martin CEO Ulrich Bez, who was also at Nürburgring to race despite strong objections from his staff. 'It's because there's someone like this at the top that the company can come up with an emotional sports car like the Vantage. That was the feeling I got as an employee at a carmaker,' Morizo wrote on the Japanese-language blog."
New Toyota chief's dilemma -- To race or not to race? - Automotive News

2) The gussied-up Toyota/ iQ that Aston Martin will sell as the Cygnet, as discussed in this Garage thread: https://my.is/forums/f104/totally-une...mashup-392450/

So, Garage denizens, what do you think? Am I reading too much into these two developments, or might we, indeed, see more Aston Martin/Toyota collaboration beyond the Cygnet?

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by jruhi4; 07-01-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

i donno pops... i think it was more of a one nite stand sort of deal

-Mike
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

A Reuters story now making the rounds states that Toyota and Mercedes-Benz might collaborate. Thus, Aston-Martin has ties to BOTH rumored "benefactors". Did Aston's Ulrich Bez somehow serve as a "go-between" or matchmaker between the two luxury giants? Here's the story:

Toyota mulls cooperation with Daimler, report says

STUTTGART, Germany (Reuters) -- Toyota Motor Corp. is considering building derivatives of Mercedes-Benz's A-Class and B-Class cars on its own so-called MC platform to better use its European plants in the long term, a German magazine reported today.

Citing sources at Toyota's Tokyo headquarters, auto motor und sport said the two companies could also look at sharing development costs and even examine the possible joint production of Toyota's Lexus LS flagship luxury saloon and its Mercedes counterpart, the S-Class, the best selling car in its segment.

"It's part of our normal business practice that we regularly talk to other carmakers but there are no specific projects planned at the moment," a spokeswoman for Toyota Motor Europe said.

Daimler called the report "speculation," declining to comment further.

Toyota mulls cooperation with Daimler, report says - Automotive News

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

"at the moment"

-Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am very interested in seeing how this will play out. How will this affect each company? Will we see design cues from each brand? Would they be using parts from each brand? How would that affect quality? Reliabilitiy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I am very interested in seeing how this will play out. How will this affect each company? Will we see design cues from each brand? Would they be using parts from each brand? How would that affect quality? Reliabilitiy?
I've been wondering about that, and I'm especially intrigued by the outrageous notion of the Mercedes S-Class and a Lexus LS sharing a platform. Would that be followed by a Lexus GS/Mercedes E-Class and Mercedes C-Class/Lexus IS?

On paper, in an ideal world, you'd have better-quality, more reliable Mercedes and more sporting. passionate Lexus. Realistically, though, how flexible would this sharing be? You'd have to have some compromise and "give-and-take" from both sides. And how much of that would two proud, sure-of-themselves companies be willing to do? Can German/Japanese cultural and mentality differences be bridged?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
I've been wondering about that, and I'm especially intrigued by the outrageous notion of the Mercedes S-Class and a Lexus LS sharing a platform. Would that be followed by a Lexus GS/Mercedes E-Class and Mercedes C-Class/Lexus IS?

On paper, in an ideal world, you'd have better-quality, more reliable Mercedes and more sporting. passionate Lexus. Realistically, though, how flexible would this sharing be? You'd have to have some compromise and "give-and-take" from both sides. And how much of that would two proud, sure-of-themselves companies be willing to do? Can German/Japanese cultural and mentality differences be bridged?
It almost sounds too good to be true! German engineering meets Japaneese reliabiltiy. A match made in heaven. It'll be interesting to see who messes the relationship up. Toyota would be on the losing end though, I beleive. If Mercedes reliability goes up, then MB's sales sky rocket, what is Toyota getting out of this? Unreliable electronics?

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Deity

Round 2: Doesn't look like Toyota is in the equation though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCar
Mercedes boss Dieter Zetsche believes some collaboration between his company and Aston Martin could happen.
Plans for Mercedes to supply Aston Martin with engines and possibly platforms for future models were afoot but have come to nothing.
Zetsche told Autocar: “Smaller brands need help with new technology and it’s possible we could do things in the future

In 2008, there were reports from well-placed sources in Germany suggesting Mercedes was looking to buy a substantial stake in Aston Martin.
Rumours suggested that Aston and Mercedes could collaborate on a range of ventures, from engine supply to entirely new models
Merc and Aston could collaborate - Autocar.co.uk

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Ahhh, the Aston/Mercedes collaboration rumors are flaring up again. Here's a link that proves that this dates back to 2008:
https://my.is/forums/f104/mercedes-bu...martin-357858/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page