LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Black Hole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr1
You know, a few friends and myself were seriously considering a BMWCCA event at Limerock. If you get off your ass and get your car back together that would make for a cool meet.

Our biggest hurdle has been that we will need to transport one dedicated race car, two track cars, and at least 3 extra sets of wheels and tires. We currently only have one enclosed trailer.

I go back in for surgery on Monday, but hopefully I will be able to do more DEs around June or so.
Jon,

I don't know if I'll take it for a track day this season. I semi-intentionally left a leaky steering rack on the car. They won't let me on the track with it.

Logic behind this - as long as I haven't taken the car to the track, I can argue to my wife that it was a complete waste of money if I get rid of it before using it for its intended (claimed) purpose.

-Justin

Cunt. Cunt. Cunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 AM
.net superior m.f.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

since the KB motors are so heavy, why is there so little VQ motor swaps in S13/14s? is the sterring rack in the way?

"Science adjusts itís beliefs based on whatís observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Black Hole

I've seen a dozen or so people start the VG/VQ swap. All of them take measurements and swear it will fit. I think I've only ever seen evidence of one swap completed and that was a SOHC version of the motor and there was so much cutting and welding involved it may as well have been a tube chassis by the time he was through (I think it was for one of the GRM challenges).

The other thing is expense of additional modification. The RB motors already have turbos and leave room for alternate plumbing if you wish. The DOHC V motor would be so wedged in there that I would be shocked if you found space for turbos, and the setup woud have to be completely custom. When you can get an RB25 for less than $4k, the VQ swap looks pretty damned pricey - especially since stock for stock it's output is close to the SR.

-Justin

Cunt. Cunt. Cunt.
post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:55 AM
.net superior m.f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b
I've seen a dozen or so people start the VG/VQ swap. All of them take measurements and swear it will fit. I think I've only ever seen evidence of one swap completed and that was a SOHC version of the motor and there was so much cutting and welding involved it may as well have been a tube chassis by the time he was through (I think it was for one of the GRM challenges).

The other thing is expense of additional modification. The RB motors already have turbos and leave room for alternate plumbing if you wish. The DOHC V motor would be so wedged in there that I would be shocked if you found space for turbos, and the setup woud have to be completely custom. When you can get an RB25 for less than $4k, the VQ swap looks pretty damned pricey - especially since stock for stock it's output is close to the SR.

-Justin
I imagine the VQ would set further back in the engine compartment too giving probably a good place for center of mass, but mounting might be toally custom - and that sucks ass! a VQ35 out of even a Pathfinder (I use P'finder since the junk yards are more likely to be filled with them) is pretty far over the 205hp a stock JDM SR20det.

I agree that it will be easier/cheaper to get the SR20 to~300hp

If you can't tell, I'm still stuck on the idea of getting much low-end torque and no more than about 200rwhp out of my 240sx

maybe I should do the LS1/T56 route like what was in my GTO and be done with it! -- i'd feel like such a redneck though with a 'small block chevy' - i think i'd even HAVE to use a tree and a rope to swap motors!

post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Black Hole

With a little research and a properly-sized GT turbo on there, I'm sure you could build a torque-monster of an SR... or make the KA a beast. It's just that since the physical install of the RB is so easy, not many people have bothered to travel the VG/VQ route.

The space between the strut towers on the S13 is pretty narrow as well,and the DOHC V6 is wide. It is actually MUCH easier to drop a small block V8 in there, but then the weak link becomes the rear end.

-Justin

Cunt. Cunt. Cunt.
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 AM
.net superior m.f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b
With a little research and a properly-sized GT turbo on there, I'm sure you could build a torque-monster of an SR... or make the KA a beast. It's just that since the physical install of the RB is so easy, not many people have bothered to travel the VG/VQ route.

The space between the strut towers on the S13 is pretty narrow as well,and the DOHC V6 is wide. It is actually MUCH easier to drop a small block V8 in there, but then the weak link becomes the rear end.

-Justin
yeah, haha, what about my HICAS!? an aluminum V8 in there would be cool, the LS1 only weighs ~400lbs. what kinda torque do you think would tear aprt the 240's rear?

post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Black Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by malofquist
yeah, haha, what about my HICAS!? an aluminum V8 in there would be cool, the LS1 only weighs ~400lbs. what kinda torque do you think would tear aprt the 240's rear?
Not sure. My friend tore one up with a carbed 383 stroker motor.

I think he may have had the open differential? I used to know, but now I forget... but if there is a weaker and a stronger diff, it shouldn't be too hard to get the stronger diff on there. If you ave hicas, you already have the LSD which should hold quite a bt of power.... now that I think of it again, I'm not sure if he blew the diff or broke half shafts...

-Justin

Cunt. Cunt. Cunt.
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by malofquist
I imagine the VQ would set further back in the engine compartment too giving probably a good place for center of mass, but mounting might be toally custom - and that sucks ass! a VQ35 out of even a Pathfinder (I use P'finder since the junk yards are more likely to be filled with them) is pretty far over the 205hp a stock JDM SR20det.

I agree that it will be easier/cheaper to get the SR20 to~300hp
!
The SR20DET that was in the Japanese S15 Silvia started at 250hp and came with a six-speed manual. The 6MT was actually a piece of garbage and many S15 owners overseas either swap to a five-speed or make the switch to a full on sequential six-speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page