User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lexus Japan

I just took a look at the Lexus Japan site -I'm sure many of you have. If you haven't seen it, it's pretty cool.
www.lexus.jp

Does anyone know why the GS350 isn't available in the US? Will it be for 2007? Also, which engine is used in the the US 2006 GS300?

It looks like they are planning on selling the SC in Japan but the link is dead. They have sold the SC in the past in Japan as the Toyota Soarer so I'm guessing (and hoping) that they will be releasing a new version of the SC, something along the lines of the LF-A concept vehicle, i.e. the next generation Supra.

-RC
Altezza Gita: "Height at the Song of God"

2004 IS300 SportCross
Graphite Gray Pearl
Super Stock: NAV, Leather, Heated Seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCartland
Does anyone know why the GS350 isn't available in the US?
It's not just the U.S.. Europe and Australia/New Zealand don't get the GS350, either. Bear with me, because the explanation is a little convoluted. In Japan, there's a Toyota called the Mark X, which is essentially a rebodied 3rd-generation Lexus GS (the wheelbase on both is an identical 112.2"), powered by the new 2.5-liter, 200+hp 4GR-FSE direct-injection V6 (the same as the upcoming IS250) and, as an optional upgrade, by a 3-liter, 245-hp 3GR-FSE version of this engine. If this latter engine were to be the base GS engine in the Japanese Domestic Market Lexus GS, it would overlap too much with the 3-liter Toyota Mark X. Thus, the GS350 is the base GS ONLY in Japan. The rest of the world gets the GS300, powered by the 3GR-FSE V6. (BTW, for more info on the Mark X: http://www.is300.net/forums/showthread.php?t=231106 )

Quote:
Will it be for 2007?
Probably. The touchy issue with offering the GS350 in export markets is that it will almost surely be more powerful than the current GS430's V8. Lexus has already registered the GS460 name, indicating that the V8 will eventually grow to 4.6 liters. It seems that only then will we see a GS350 outside Japan.

Quote:
Also, which engine is used in the US 2006 GS300?
As noted above, the new 3-liter, 245-hp 3GR-FSE direct-injection V6.

Quote:
It looks like they are planning on selling the SC in Japan but the link is dead. They have sold the SC in the past in Japan as the Toyota Soarer so I'm guessing (and hoping) that they will be releasing a new version of the SC, something along the lines of the LF-A concept vehicle, i.e. the next generation Supra.
The SC link in the Lexus Japan website is not so much dead as "under construction", just as the IS link was prior to the Geneva Auto Show.

The 2006 Lexus SC for Japan (and the rest of the world) is expected to be merely a facelifted and rebadged version of the current Toyota Soarer retractable-hardtop convertible. It may well be the first recipient of the aforementioned 4.6-liter V8.

There is expected to be a production version of the LF-A concept, however. Current rumor calls it the GT450 (or, possibly, GT500) and it's predicted to go on sale as a 2008 model.

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by jruhi4; 05-06-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page