User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How to Buy a Nissan Skyline GT-R in America

A VERY interesting & informative article on the "Holy Grail" of Japanese cars by John Pearley Huffman of Edmunds' Insine Line. Here's the link:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...90379&DARTmail

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Deus Vult

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Interesting article.

On a side note, I expect a certain someone to come in here declaring that Skylines aren't worth the $$$.

I want one btw

bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Garage Pit Crew Chief

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

awesome..i like how it ends with " go buy an Infiniti G coupe"

"God is my co-driver"

---Aryton Senna

01 SBM E-shift
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkc
awesome..i like how it ends with " go buy an Infiniti G coupe"
That's pretty much it as it stands right now. Why spend $60 - 100k in purchasing and legalizing a RHD GT-R when the simpler solution would be to drop 1/2 that cost on a G35 sedan/coupe. For all intents and purposes, the G35 line-up is the Skyline. Granted it's missing the ATTESA system, Super HICAS and a hellishly bulletproof straight six motor blown by two turbos, it's still the Skyline.

The funny thing is, over on G35driver.com, the board members that live in Japan spend $$$ to perform USDM conversions to their Skylines.

Another side note: The actual USDM G35 is offered at Japanese Nissan dealerships at a $12-15k premium over the Skyline versions.

Quote:
What kind of poor ass, food stamp collecting motherf*ckers still drive RWD Corollas? Seriously, this is like being in a time warp, people still buy these things...i mean people with real jobs?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Fiend

Just go to Motorex and u can get an R32 and R33 (both with GTR, GTS, etc.) and they are supposedly bringing back the R34

'01 SY IS300 RIP 2/18/11 :(
Injen/A'PEXi/Sun Auto/Weds Sport/Bridgestone/Kaminari/KONI/Eibach/Hotchkis/EBC Pads and Rotors/eBay Chassis Braces

'06 Subaru Legacy GT spec.B

My Flickr
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Aficionado

Go to japan yourself and buy the R34 for aaaallllloootttt less. Dont make someone rich just cuz they feel like tagging it with 90k. If I wanted one so bad... thats what I would do.

2001 GTE w/ E11 and GT40 at 24psi

"A fast car is useless if you dont know how to drive it."

They broke my "oh sh*t!" handles!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDntPlayThat
Go to japan yourself and buy the R34 for aaaallllloootttt less. Dont make someone rich just cuz they feel like tagging it with 90k. If I wanted one so bad... thats what I would do.
The reason that the GT-Rs have such a high pricetag is to cover the expenses that the seller pays to bring it into the country. To have the car fully federalized and street legal requires $$$ north of $20k for all of the DOT/EPA paperwork and testing and holding. It's a long drawn out process. You can look at it two ways:

1st: Go to a reputable company such as RBMotoring or VIP Imports, where the car has been federalized and is legal for U.S. roads. All the costs are right up front and it's no different than buying a USDM car really.

2nd: Go to Japan and pick out a vehicle. Then, load it onto a boat for shipping across the Pacific ($$$). Then, have the DOT hold the car for anywhere from six months to a year while they run their tests and the mandatory EPA tests. Bear in mind that all of the costs for this are coming from YOUR wallet. Furthermore, should something come up that doesn't make the cut, the car won't be allowed in country, will probably be crushed, and you are out a serious load of dough (the costs incurred here are NON-refundable).

To sum up: the high prices you see for Federalized Skylines are the result of the costs that companies like RB Motoring incur while bringing the car over and having it federalized.

And the R34 GT-R can no longer be legalized into the U.S. due to tighter emissions standards.

I'm going to bed. Have a nice day.

Quote:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Fiend

Has anyone seen the new Skyline testing in Germany? It looks like the the G35c but it's got the AWD and other goodies. I'll try to find pics.

http://thecarblog.com/images/skylineGT-R.jpg

there's a pic. Sport Compact Car did a short article on it, but i can't find it right now.

IS300
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Fiend

I believe Motorex was shut down by the gubment.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd
I believe Motorex was shut down by the gubment.
I've been told they stopped bringing in the R34. But they can still bring in R32's and R33's.

IS300
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Garage Pit Crew Chief

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRECKEDIS300
I've been told they stopped bringing in the R34. But they can still bring in R32's and R33's.
nah..theyre under federal investigation for sticking on stolen/fake VINs on imported Skylines, etc. and all activities are SUPPOSED to be on hold over there....:suspicou

"God is my co-driver"

---Aryton Senna

01 SBM E-shift
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkc
nah..theyre under federal investigation for sticking on stolen/fake VINs on imported Skylines, etc. and all activities are SUPPOSED to be on hold over there....:suspicou
Activities involving the Skylines are on hold, yes. However, MotoRex is capable of working on more than just Skylines. Since their activities regarding the Skylines have been suspended by the government, they have ramped up activities like SR and RB swaps into 240sxs. They haven't been completely shut down. That's also why I mentioned going to a company like RB Motoring or VIP Imports where they have Skylines already federalized and priced.

Quote:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOne
The reason that the GT-Rs have such a high pricetag is to cover the expenses that the seller pays to bring it into the country. To have the car fully federalized and street legal requires $$$ north of $20k for all of the DOT/EPA paperwork and testing and holding. It's a long drawn out process. You can look at it two ways:

1st: Go to a reputable company such as RBMotoring or VIP Imports, where the car has been federalized and is legal for U.S. roads. All the costs are right up front and it's no different than buying a USDM car really.

2nd: Go to Japan and pick out a vehicle. Then, load it onto a boat for shipping across the Pacific ($$$). Then, have the DOT hold the car for anywhere from six months to a year while they run their tests and the mandatory EPA tests. Bear in mind that all of the costs for this are coming from YOUR wallet. Furthermore, should something come up that doesn't make the cut, the car won't be allowed in country, will probably be crushed, and you are out a serious load of dough (the costs incurred here are NON-refundable).

To sum up: the high prices you see for Federalized Skylines are the result of the costs that companies like RB Motoring incur while bringing the car over and having it federalized.

And the R34 GT-R can no longer be legalized into the U.S. due to tighter emissions standards.

I'm going to bed. Have a nice day.

I know how it is.. i had friends bring in cars. I know there and fees and testing... but there are fees around the fees and testing ... anywaayyy... besides all the costs.... dont you thing the importer wants to make another couple tens of thousands for all his trouble? Thats also where you save.

2001 GTE w/ E11 and GT40 at 24psi

"A fast car is useless if you dont know how to drive it."

They broke my "oh sh*t!" handles!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Under House Arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOne
Interesting article.

On a side note, I expect a certain someone to come in here declaring that Skylines aren't worth the $$$.

I want one btw

bad
your right i dont think they are worth the money. you can get a R32 gtr for 5k an r33 for between 6-10k and a r34 for a littl eover 20k. i personally have never beaten a GTR in a race, but my boys integra (all motor btw) can take out a R32 GTR no problem. when i had my R33 i was expecting alot and was severly dissapointed. it hanleded like shit, they look like shit, and although it was fairly fast, it got annyoing seeing every american driving the same car as you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page