LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm
Did you get a chance to take a look at the VIN of the car you test-drove, or look at the door label to see where it was manufactured? My biggest problem with a lot of the current VWs is that the N.American versions are manufactured in Mexico/South America.

When the last Golf was first released, I believe some of the first ones were initially built in Germany, but later they were produced in Brazil. VW/Audi's reliability isn't the greatest, but i'd guess that the German built vehicles are better than the Mexico/Brazil versions.
I think all the Audis are built in Germany, or Austria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckolsen
I think all the Audis are built in Germany, or Austria.
im pretty sure they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4
I'm not even sure if Audi has released an S3 version of the current, 2nd-generation A3. If they have, it's only available as a 3-door hatch, and the Audi rep at the NY Auto Show stand told me there are no plans to bring over the 3-door A3 to the U.S. And I know for a fact there's no S3 version of the A3 5-door (yet). Hopefully at the Frankfurt Auto Show this fall...
I was told by an Audi dealer they are not going to produce an S3 but an RS3 that is supposed to be as fast or faster then the new S4 or RS4 (i cant remember).
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Übercargeek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Audi just released official pricing on the A3 for the U.S. in this Automotive News article:

Audi A3 starts at $25,460
By Dale Jewett

Audi's new A3 wagon will carry a suggested base price of $25,460 when it goes on sale in mid May. The price includes a $720 destination charge.

The base A3 is equipped with a 200-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter engine and six-speed manual transmission. For an extra $1,400, the A3 can be equipped with Audi's advanced dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Base equipment on the A3 includes side curtain airbags, side-impact airbags for the front seats, stability control, automatic climate control, remote locking, power windows, 17-inch alloy wheels and a 140-watt sound system with in-dash CD. Side impact airbags for the rear seats are optional.

Two equipment packages are offered. The Sport package lists for $1,800 and adds 17-inch bi-color wheels, sport suspension, leather-covered steering wheel, fog lights, sport seats and leather seat covering.

The Premium package lists for $2,025 and adds a trip computer, auto-dimming mirror with rain sensor, power driver's seat, fog lights and leather seats.

Additional options include a cold weather package with heated seats, mirrors and washer nozzles; high-intensity discharge headlights; and a glass roof panel with sunroof over the front seats.

Audi said that all its dealers in the United States and Canada have an A3 available for test drives. It is offering an incentive of 33 free song downloads for those who take a test drive and a free Bose speaker system for those who order an A3.

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Altruist

I drove the A3 and A4 last week too. Was not impressed at all with either. I couldn't even drive the A3 since everytime I tried to lift off the gas, my shoe would get stuck underneath the break. Those pedals are way to close together. THe interior was a lot cheaper than I would have liked for that price. The car is peppy from what I could tell in between my 10 second shifts.

The A4 was nicer, but I like last years model much nicer. That aluminim interior is just nasty, the car is MUCh slower than the A3 (duh), which make it a non fun to drive slow car. They went the cheap route moving cupholders, etc in the center console instead of the cool dash based ones. Eh, just crappy.

That 3 series looks nicer every day. Just can't be the value there IMO

Current: 2010 135i 'vert (waiting...)
Old: 2006 IS350/Nav/ML/Lux - "Inside peanut butta, outside jelly!"
Old: 2001 Turbo Lexus IS300
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Altruist

I did get my 30 odd free itune mp3's though

Current: 2010 135i 'vert (waiting...)
Old: 2006 IS350/Nav/ML/Lux - "Inside peanut butta, outside jelly!"
Old: 2001 Turbo Lexus IS300
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Garage Pit Crew Chief

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckolsen
It seemed to be $30k loaded with premium, cold weather, sport and auto. Not sure how you'd get to $35k.

I'm not sure why having a hatch suddenly makes the car overpriced though. It was as roomy as a 3 series or IS300 inside. Or 'as cramped', depending on your perspective.
i just built an A3 online ( fully loaded ) with premium package, cold weather package, sound package, big ass moonroof, rear side airbags, xenon lights, satellite radio and nav...

and the total was... $33,785 with the 6-speed manual ... add another $1400 for the dual clutch auto , and your grand total is $35,185 including the $720 destination charge.

there you go ckolsen... i was bang on the $$ when i said 35K .. those Audi's are NEVER priced for mass consumption... and I just dont see myself paying 35K for that when I could just get the IS with ALL options for about the same , if not less !

"God is my co-driver"

---Aryton Senna

01 SBM E-shift
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkc
i just built an A3 online ( fully loaded ) with premium package, cold weather package, sound package, big ass moonroof, rear side airbags, xenon lights, satellite radio and nav...

and the total was... $33,785 with the 6-speed manual ... add another $1400 for the dual clutch auto , and your grand total is $35,185 including the $720 destination charge.

there you go ckolsen... i was bang on the $$ when i said 35K .. those Audi's are NEVER priced for mass consumption... and I just dont see myself paying 35K for that when I could just get the IS with ALL options for about the same , if not less !

Dang, you have a point.

But you can factory order an Audi, so there's no need to load it up with crap you don't need. The IS250 comes with crap pre-installed, making it slow and heavy.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi
They went the cheap route moving cupholders, etc in the center console instead of the cool dash based ones. Eh, just crappy.
IMO
Those dash cup holders SUCK! They are also known as drink launchers! As cool as they may look, they are a poor excuse for cupholders in a luxury car brand. All the Audi owners on boards welcome the new cupholders, but still gawk at the new front ends. The big fish mouth grills only look good on the A8's.

Previous: 01 IS300, 02 IS300 MT, 04 A4 Ultrasport 1.8T GIAC 6spd
Current:
05 S4 6spd
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Under House Arrest

was it driven with the dsg tranny?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page