post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Corvette Could Go Hybrid To Survive Strict Fuel Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorAuthority
Not so long ago the idea of a hybrid powertrain in a sports car was anathema to enthusiasts. But after this year's Formula 1 season, the debut of cars like the Tesla Roadster and Audi's all-electric R8 e-Tron at Frankfurt and the wider acceptance of hybrids in general by the buying public, it's not so unimaginable anymore. It's also at least a real possibility for the greatest American sports car: the Chevrolet Corvette.

It's not very likely the Corvette will go hybrid, says Tom Stephens, GM's vice chairman of global product development, but the company will do whatever it takes to keep the Corvette around once the recently announced fuel regulations raise the national standard to a company-wide 35.5 mpg average in 2016.

Stephens also says it's not likely that the Corvette will have to adopt a smaller six-cylinder engine either. Instead, a high-tech V-8 engine should be able to meet the fuel efficiency floor with the assistance of low rolling resistance tires, a lighter curb weight and electric power steering.

The engine itself would get direct injection, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. The current Corvette would need to nearly double its combined efficiency rating to meet the 35.5 mpg standard. Since the 35.5 mpg figure is a company average, however, GM could shoot for a more realistic target, say 30 mpg, and let its more efficient, higher-volume models pick up the slack.

The 430-horsepower 2010 Chevrolet Corvette gets a number of new features for the new model year, including launch control, new graphics options and a return of the Grand Sport model.
Corvette Could Go Hybrid To Survive Strict Fuel Rules - MotorAuthority

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Extremist

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Stephens also says it's not likely that the Corvette will have to adopt a smaller six-cylinder engine either. Instead, a high-tech V-8 engine should be able to meet the fuel efficiency floor with the assistance of low rolling resistance tires, a lighter curb weight and electric power steering.
please no, that would just be dumb.

Have a question? Try the my.is FAQ or, if you can't find an answer there, search before posting your question (hopefully in the correct forum).

2002 IS300 5mt. MSM stock for now
Cobra Project:
FFR MKIII '65 Cobra Replicar - 427 cid V-8 (thats 7.0 liters) engine 525hp/520lb-ft torque at the flywheel (and this is in a 2200 pound car) Painted Lexus Spectra Blue Mica with GM Arctic White stripes -- now street legal
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Boostin in the 505

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
They wouldn't sell a single one if they did

02 Onyx IS300
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnights View Post
please no, that would just be dumb.
Times are tough, they gatta do what they gatta do.

Quote:
Quote:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Guru

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That would just be ludicrous. It's a Corvette, not a Prius.

The death of the Corvette?

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Death of CARB and Obamas standards?

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Fiend

i think i just puked reading this thread....

05 IS300 (MSM)|5-Spd w/LSD
73 240Z|4-Spd
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:

The 430-horsepower 2010 Chevrolet Corvette gets a number of new features for the new model year, including launch control, new graphics options and a return of the Grand Sport model.
Wouldn't this be an irresponsible combination by the manufacturer?
I claim no real knowledge of these sorts of tires, but from what I can pick up, they offer very little "sportiness" or high-level grip? 430hp isn't something to skimp on the tire option, imho.

2003 Lexus IS300 - 5-Spd - GGP
2002 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro - 5-Spd - For Sale
1995 Nissan 240sx - 5-Spd - RB20DET - Sold
1990 Honda CRX Si - 5-Spd - Sold
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Addict

How about high output Twin Turboed or Supercharged 4 or 6 cylinder engines, before they jump on the hybrid bandwagon? Though I can appreciate the Prius for what it is, I don't think gas/electric hybrids are the right solution. Instead, I think BMW has it right - with their efficient dynamics technologies, they're avoiding the production of expensive batteries (the process to produce creates so much more pollution than the car would if it emitted CO2 its entire life), while improving their existing engines (and producing new ones) to increase output and yet increase fuel efficiency. Just look at the BMW product line.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Frequenter

The corvette is one of the most fuel efficient cars with that kind of power out there. They need to just keep it how it is with the more fuel efficient V8. Maybe even throw in a 7th gear for highways if they are really desperate. Just a thought.

But the regulations are for the whole brand across the board. What they need to help is the mpg's on those big trucks. Who do you know that really needs a chevy 3500 turbo diesel full cab, extended bed, lifted, with 40" tall tires? Either that or just make some rediculously dumb, high mileage car to help the average.

Just don't get rid of the corvette!

-Alex
GGP '03 SD E-Shift
A lot of bark and no bite
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Extremist

trucks don't count the same way as cars do for the CAFE regulations, their standards are significantly lower whereas the corvette does have to meet the higher requirements for light-duty cars.

Have a question? Try the my.is FAQ or, if you can't find an answer there, search before posting your question (hopefully in the correct forum).

Cobra Project:
FFR MKIII '65 Cobra Replicar - 427 cid V-8 (thats 7.0 liters) engine 525hp/520lb-ft torque at the flywheel (and this is in a 2200 pound car) Painted Lexus Spectra Blue Mica with GM Arctic White stripes -- now street legal
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Frequenter

Oh yeah I forgot about that. That's why chrysler made the PT cruiser. Regardless... America cannot lose a staple like the Corvette because of one president. When I was younger my dad was telling me stories about when he was my age with muscle cars. I don't want to tell my kids when I'm older that I saw the day corvettes along with all the other American, high-performance vehicles went extinct. The viper's already gone...

-Alex
GGP '03 SD E-Shift
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Extremist

It really would be a shame to see the american high performance cars disappear

the viper is still around though, they had stopped production (along with all other chrysler vehicles) and there was talk of a sale but eventually they decided to keep the brand and it was even the first vehicle to begin production again.

Cobra Project:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Frequenter

damn... where have I been? My uncle and I have been pissin and moaning about the viper being dead for months... AND NOW ITS BACK! I'm going to go make his day and let him know

-Alex
GGP '03 SD E-Shift
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Why not use forced induction?

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page