Cars aren't going to become lighter anytime soon - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
View Poll Results: Will cars become "lighter"?
Yes. 2 14.29%
No. 3 21.43%
Maybe, Just not in the immediate future. 9 64.29%
I like technology. I don't care if it becomes heavier. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Sofa King Awesome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lets mass produce CF chassis through LFA technology...mission accomplished.

'10 Solid Red 370Z 6MT Sport
'08 Obsidian IS250 6MT - SOLD -
'04 EBP Acura RSX - SOLD -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
I think you are confusing 'size' with 'weight'.
I don't think I'm confusing anything honestly. The two go hand in hand. It's the principle that if your car and my car were to get into a fight, who would win? I'm trying to come up with a good example of a light, cheap feeling SUV but I doubt we'll get very far on that point. Fact is, people like the feel of a heavy beast of a machine...people who don't enjoy turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I don't think I'm confusing anything honestly. The two go hand in hand. It's the principle that if your car and my car were to get into a fight, who would win? I'm trying to come up with a good example of a light, cheap feeling SUV but I doubt we'll get very far on that point. Fact is, people like the feel of a heavy beast of a machine...people who don't enjoy turning.
People buy SUV's because they think it's safer. They like the heavy feel of the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Frequenter

Garage
As long as steel continues to be more affordable to use in car manufacturing compared to aluminum and carbon fiber, and as long as people want more features and comfort options in their cars, they're not going to get lighter anytime soon. Plus, there's the safety factor. Most cars nowadays have at least 6 airbags, and that alone adds a lot of weight, but if it helps get or keep a 4 or 5-star crash ranking from NHTSA (which, along with features and MPGs, is a selling point for any new car), then adding those extra pounds is a no-brainer for automakers.

1. 2001 Lexus IS300: 100% bone stock for now, daily driven.
2. 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V: personal project, BPU, 15.68 @ 87.44 mph, not done yet.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer_TRD View Post
As long as steel continues to be more affordable to use in car manufacturing compared to aluminum and carbon fiber, and as long as people want more features and comfort options in their cars, they're not going to get lighter anytime soon. Plus, there's the safety factor. Most cars nowadays have at least 6 airbags, and that alone adds a lot of weight, but if it helps get or keep a 4 or 5-star crash ranking from NHTSA (which, along with features and MPGs, is a selling point for any new car), then adding those extra pounds is a no-brainer for automakers.
Shedding weight also increases MPG though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Frequenter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Shedding weight also increases MPG though...
True, but automakers don't consider that because:

a. It's too costly to build frames with lighter materials in mass-production. An automaker may use aluminum or CF in a single model (often a halo model and 99% of the time a sports car), but to try and extend that to the rest of the lineup will make them increase the prices of their vehicles to compensate for their manufacture expenses, and people nowadays don't want to spend more than needed, especially when the gross of the consumers buy cars as an appliance.

b. If they take the route of eliminating features consumers will shift their focus on competitors who offer features than X brand doesn't.

So automakers turn to other MPG-improving means like diesel engines and gas/electrical hybrid systems, among other things. Reducing weight is pretty much the last thing on the list because, like someone posted before, people tend to associate "light" with "small", "cheap", "unsafe" and "not enough features"....once automakers attempt to change that kind of mindset on the consumers we may start seeing lighter cars...

2. 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V: personal project, BPU, 15.68 @ 87.44 mph, not done yet.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Oompa-Loompa of Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer_TRD View Post
So automakers turn to other MPG-improving means like diesel engines and gas/electrical hybrid systems, among other things. Reducing weight is pretty much the last thing on the list because, like someone posted before, people tend to associate "light" with "small", "cheap", "unsafe" and "not enough features"....once automakers attempt to change that kind of mindset on the consumers we may start seeing lighter cars...
Its also important to note, that this "big=safe" mindset is pretty much exclusive to the US. Europe definitely does not think like that, as there are plenty of small, premium cars that are very popular. But they also have very high gas prices.

A few years ago with the fuel spike in the US, you definitely started to hear about the US makes wanting to produce small, premium cars. But that went away after the price of gas came back down.

My prediction...the US will be forced to change their mindset once gas goes back up to $5-7/gal (and it definitely will). This will also push the development of weight saving technologies.

The US automotive buying habits will never change automatically. It will be forced to change. Higher gas prices will get us back to smaller cars, and it will also make the smaller cars even lighter to get better MPG. Win-Win with expensive oil.

my .02...

I was the Anti-Bling...
Now just another
E30///M3
owner
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
I think you are confusing 'size' with 'weight'. People don't buy SUVs because they are heavy, they buy them because they are BIG. Making future cars lighter will come from the result of making the frames lighter. That would also make SUVs lighter without effecting there appearance of safety, imo.
The correct way of saying that would have been to compare a Hyundai Accent hatch to a VW Golf. If you know absolutely nothing about cars you would perceive the VW to have a significantly higher quality based on the much more solid feel of the vehicle (weight) and the stability it has (weight) and the very nice (by comparison) interior and its panels which have a nice sound if you tap them (weight) and additional sound deadening (weight) ect ect ect...

Accent 3 door weight 2457
Golf 3 door weight 2968

500lbs of quality feel.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Frequenter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NattySlide View Post
Its also important to note, that this "big=safe" mindset is pretty much exclusive to the US. Europe definitely does not think like that, as there are plenty of small, premium cars that are very popular. But they also have very high gas prices.

A few years ago with the fuel spike in the US, you definitely started to hear about the US makes wanting to produce small, premium cars. But that went away after the price of gas came back down.

My prediction...the US will be forced to change their mindset once gas goes back up to $5-7/gal (and it definitely will). This will also push the development of weight saving technologies.

The US automotive buying habits will never change automatically. It will be forced to change. Higher gas prices will get us back to smaller cars, and it will also make the smaller cars even lighter to get better MPG. Win-Win with expensive oil.

my .02...
I couldn't agree more .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page