Beasts from Middle East - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

While of course you are right in pointing out the gdp and some of the "technicalities" there is a little bit of something that you may have just not wrote or maybe not realized. The country is run by the ruling family and their children. In case you are wondering I grew up there and my father worked for the Shaikh, and my brother and sister went to school with their children. Because the oil and gas reserves are controlled by the ruling family the GDP comparison is not a true measure of who has the wealth as it is assuming an equal division of assest. I quickly looked up the GDP for the UAE and for 04 it was 95.5 billion. Basically what that amounts to is that the ruling family brought in close to 100 billion into their own coffers. If you do that for oh lets say the last 20-30 years you can imagine what king of money we are talking about. Now, I realize that that is over simplified but I hope that people get the point that when they see those ridiculous hotels being built or the fact that they are currently building the tallest building in the world over there that it is really just play money to them. On car note if you check out where those ridiculous Swedish supercars with 800+ hp stock the first one was sent to a buyer in the UAE and they actually have a showroom that sells them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Off topic here, looking back at the Popular Science magazine about 1year ago, they have some crazy projects going on there in Dubai. One of them is building an island in a shape of a plam, somewhere of shore. Like someone stated, there are filthy rich, but that goes only to the rulling people. Rest of the county is starving.

Here is some info on this project:
http://www.dubaicityguide.com/specia...ex.asp?id=1034

http://www.palmsales.ca/palm/status.htm

It's beyond sick.

2004 TCM SD E-shift
2012 RX350AWD (wife's mobile)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Fiend

my dad jus came back, and showed me pictures of the islands they built to look like a world map. thats also off shore .
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx2002
While of course you are right in pointing out the gdp and some of the "technicalities" there is a little bit of something that you may have just not wrote or maybe not realized. The country is run by the ruling family and their children. In case you are wondering I grew up there and my father worked for the Shaikh, and my brother and sister went to school with their children. Because the oil and gas reserves are controlled by the ruling family the GDP comparison is not a true measure of who has the wealth as it is assuming an equal division of assest. I quickly looked up the GDP for the UAE and for 04 it was 95.5 billion. Basically what that amounts to is that the ruling family brought in close to 100 billion into their own coffers. If you do that for oh lets say the last 20-30 years you can imagine what king of money we are talking about. Now, I realize that that is over simplified but I hope that people get the point that when they see those ridiculous hotels being built or the fact that they are currently building the tallest building in the world over there that it is really just play money to them. On car note if you check out where those ridiculous Swedish supercars with 800+ hp stock the first one was sent to a buyer in the UAE and they actually have a showroom that sells them.
This perfectly says it all. While the ruling elite rules the country and swim in it, the rest of the country is still poor. But that's what the world is all about. There are the poor, and then there are the rich. Can't have both.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus_300
This perfectly says it all. While the ruling elite rules the country and swim in it, the rest of the country is still poor. But that's what the world is all about. There are the poor, and then there are the rich. Can't have both.

I can tell you which one I'd rather be though!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I repeat: the average Emiraty (UAE citizen) is NOT poor and NOT starving. Alot of wealth is given away by the government to the citizens through a number of social benefits. They LIKE their ruling family!!!!! The are living well, and the ruling family is "nice"; they don't care about who's ruling. Of course their ruling family is rich, but that doesn't necessarily mean the common person is poor. Besides, the fact that they don't have social unrest means that everyone is fat and happy about the status quo.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Frequenter

Aldo is correct the local citizens are well off as well, if people really want to look for problems the immigrant workers are tremedously exploited. One reason the the social outlook over there is so bright is because the ruling family looks at there role as more of a patriach over a family. The UAE came from 7 individual states that combined and each state is ruled by what used to be the leading tribal family. This is a much different situation than a typical monarchy where the ruling class actively distances themselves from the lower class. A tribal leader tries to better the life of his tribe and his people. This form of government is often referred to as a benevolent dicatorship.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Loyalist

Ahh. eplaains the video I saw online yesterday. It was an r34 walking on a hayabusa, and in the end the camera turned to the crowd of people who all seemed to be wearing dresses and speaking as if they had jello in their mouths. Weird

Kill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page