post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Turbo Review

Quote:
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Turbo Review – First Drive
Hyundai achieves an industry first, packing the terms “turbocharged” and “value” in a mid-size sedan

The Hyundai Sonata has gone from complete obscurity to overnight sensation, but the trip from second-rate rental car lots to one of America’s Top 3 mid-size sedans was a long one. With every generation getting better engineered and more attractive, the 2010 Sonata seems to be Hyundai’s opus.

The launch of the current Sonata, in the midst of a recession, was a gamble for Hyundai in itself. No one was quite sure how customers in this typically conservative segment would react to its swoopy, Mercedes-like styling and only one engine option, an adequate but not exactly soul-stirring 2.4L 4-cylinder engine – even if it did deliver the most power in its class.

BEST-IN-CLASS POWER AND FUEL ECONOMY

For 2011, Hyundai is offering more power, but chose to stick to their guns by not offering a V6. Instead, the hottest Sonata is motivated by a 2.0-liter 274-horsepower four-cylinder engine, with a 6-speed automatic gearbox putting power to the front wheels. The horsepower figure is just ahead of 6-cylinder offerings from Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford and Chevrolet. Turbo four engines in cars like the Volkswagen Passat and Buick Regal offer significantly less power to boot, despite identical displacement. Hyundai’s quantitative edge extends to fuel economy, where the Sonata is capable of getting 22-mpg in the city and 33-mpg on the highway, figures that none of the other rivals can match.
Read More 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Turbo Review at AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 AM
\/ Awesome \/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wait a min...is it the same 2.0T that's in the genesis coupe? In the gen coupe it doesn't make near that much power. I wonder if they'll be upping the power for the coupe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiX76 View Post
.....whoa am i in my.sonata/forums?
You're an idiot.

274 HP is awesome. I like this car.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Wait a min...is it the same 2.0T that's in the genesis coupe? In the gen coupe it doesn't make near that much power. I wonder if they'll be upping the power for the coupe next year
It is definitely not the same as the Genesis Coupes, that one is producing somewhere around Civic Si numbers (~200hp). The one problem I see with them putting this into the Genesis coupe is it makes their V6 model basically pointless. Interesting to see what they are going to do with the Genesis Coupe, I really like that car.

Although I am a bit skewed on how I feel about the new Sonata's looks (has awkward angles to me) ... I am still quite impressed with it and this new motor is quite impressive as well, curious to see if it is going to be reliable. I had extensive time in a 4-cylinder Sonata (not this one) over summer on my trip in the east coast, the car was almost on par with the Camry and Accord. Some cheaper interior bits then the competitors and while the steering was made to feel sporty, the car has absolutely no steering feel, you can never find the center through a corner. That is all just detail though, for where this car is priced and marketed it is a big hit for Hyundai, I was impressed with this car even before they put this new motor in. Honda and Toyota clearly have some thinking to do, Hyundai is for real now.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.

2010 Audi A5.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Deity

Quote:
bradb1us wrote: "You're an idiot."

Really? Well I dare say you're an idiot for calling me an idiot. Idiot!
No he is actually right, you are in fact an idiot.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.

2010 Audi A5.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Deity

Quote:
bradb1us wrote: "You're an idiot."
LexIShirm wrtote: "No he is actually right, you are in fact an idiot."

whoa you guys make the geniuses at the apple bar actually looks like saints.
please take the time to pull out the sticks up your a$$e$, and have a nice day.
You make the kids at the special olympics look smart.

2010 Audi A5.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb1us View Post
You're an idiot.

274 HP is awesome. I like this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
No he is actually right, you are in fact an idiot.
Fact of the matter is, they're actually right! You're an idiot! Now, either post something that's actually worth reading or next time, or you'll get an infraction. Read the Rules that are parked in this section.

Love the car, Love the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 10-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Lurker

Gentlemen. It takes one, to know one. All of you are as bitter as the car you're defending. Hyundai automobiles are crap. Always will be. They are the Ford Pintos of today. Anybody that says otherwise are idiots. Actually I prefer the word "dolt". Deal with it. And yes that is a fact.

"Be responsible, save your money and pay your bills on time to maintain good credit. It takes time to establish one's self but it is not impossible with the right attitude, skill set and work ethic." stratman(my.is forum member) on owning an IS-F 10/10/10

03' GGP IS300 Sportdesign 5spd Manual w/LSD- JDM Black Altezza Heads+6000k - JDM Black Altezza Grille w/BP Lexus Emblem- SRT Intake w/Race ECU
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Deity

Quote:
Gentlemen. It takes one, to know one. All of you are as bitter as the car you're defending. Hyundai automobiles are crap. Always will be. They are the Ford Pintos of today. Anybody that says otherwise are idiots. Actually I prefer the word "dolt". Deal with it. And yes that is a fact.
If you knew anything you would know that nobody here has ever cared for anything Hyundai. HotIce is all about German cars, and Bradbus drives cars with rims that are worth more then this Sonata. Please shut up.

2010 Audi A5.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexIShirm View Post
It is definitely not the same as the Genesis Coupes, that one is producing somewhere around Civic Si numbers (~200hp). The one problem I see with them putting this into the Genesis coupe is it makes their V6 model basically pointless. Interesting to see what they are going to do with the Genesis Coupe, I really like that car.
Exactly my point (see winky face)...You don't want them that close and for exactly that reason. I know it's a "different" engine but HOW different is the real question. I bet the block and internals are the EXACT same and the turbo (if even) is the only difference besides a different tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Do you honestly think you're a god or something? Hyundai cars suck because you said so. Right. You really are an idiot.

P.S. Shirm hit the nail right on the head.

P.P.S. Thread locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page