Tablet installs? - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yes one i have is has bluetooth. gps tether to bluetooth is one idea for gps.
screen is an samsung touchscreen just worked right out the bad when plugged in through usb, but it thinks its a mouse and not touchscreen like how phone works
I will make a thread soon enough when i get further in with kinks worked out. screen is a samsung one supposedly with a control board attached for touch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1u-Z5IjKlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFRp4boEAc

'14 NGP IS350 Fsport
'04 GGP Altezza'd out IS **past =[

plusONE +1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ah sweet! So the screen has a HDMI input and USB input. You plugged it in and it was good to go. I guess that makes sense as well. I know that on the MK808's you can use a powered USB hub to add more to it as well.

So MK808B + Finless Rom (for location settings), BT GPS dongle, touch screen seem like a winning combination.
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Spec:

Do you know the model number of that screen? I think I'm going to order one today....

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Lurker

The plan for me right now is:

MK908 + Finless Rom ( Location Setting and Mass Storage Device )
Powered USB Hub
Touch Screen: 7" 1280x800 USB+HDMI
USB GPS Dongle ( BU-353 looks to be my best bet )
64GB Flash Drive ( Music Storage )

TPLink MR3040 Mobile Broadband Router + Work's Verizon 3G card for Internet. ( I already have the router that I carry in my backpack. I may consider getting a 3020 ( Same thing, but no battery ) for dedicated use in the car, and just have the USB port handy so that I can add and remove the USB stick as needed. I've tried messing with offline maps, but in my tests it still didn't seem to do what I wanted to without an internet connection.

Also looking into a USB ODB II input.

The thing that would be nice is if there was a way to connect your phone to the tablet to make calls. But really, I have a little bluetooth speaker on my visor that will work, or if I REALLY wanted to, I could get the grom unit with bluetooth. ( Or go a different head unit route, which I'm trying to avoid for now )
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

How do you plan to address the audio?

I was just thinking about ordering everything then it hit me....how the heck are we going to do audio? Originally I was going to use my 3.5mm port, but with that setup, audio will be going through HDMI instead.
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihiryu View Post
How do you plan to address the audio?

I was just thinking about ordering everything then it hit me....how the heck are we going to do audio? Originally I was going to use my 3.5mm port, but with that setup, audio will be going through HDMI instead.
I can't speak for SpecOne's setup, but the touchpad that I am ordering decodes the HDMI stream and output's it to a 2.5mm connector. I'm guessing that SpecOne's is similar.

After that I will go in stages. Stage One "The ghetto stage" involves plugging in a tape adapter to the connector. Later I will either get a Grom unit, or another head unit, and have a proper AUX.

this is the screen I ordered, keep in mind it was a pre-order and I have yet to receive the thing. Shop | Chalkboard Electronics
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Man that is cheap! I was looking at a few other ones and none of them are really what I'm looking for
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

I'm excited! I finally got my 04 cubby deal! Now I just have to order the parts to convert it.
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

This is the setup i Have

Samsung 7" LED LCD Touch Monitor Kit Out Door Industrail Grade Sunlight Viewable | eBay

I am getting audio to my radio through bluetooth instead of actual audio cable.
My reasoning for Bluetooth was so I have AVRCP Control from my stereo for Music applications.

I have not seen any USB GPS dongle work with Android, If you guys figure out one do share. I have plugged in a Microsoft one that works for PC but Android does not know what to do with it.

Also want to let people aware the the touchscreen acts as a mouse for android so you get a cursor and I do not know why but I cannot touch the edge of the screen, it will not respond so I also using a Airmouse (Mele F10) to navigate in conjunctions with the Touchscreen. I am thinking of getting a trackball mouse and mount in ashtray area.

'14 NGP IS350 Fsport

plusONE +1
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleego View Post
this is the screen I ordered, keep in mind it was a pre-order and I have yet to receive the thing. Shop | Chalkboard Electronics
I have seen that screen it looks really nice as it is capacitive touch.
I considered scrapping my screen and going for that one but I don't wanna throw more money in the project as I might actually sell my car in the next couple of months but I wanted to get this project out of my system as it has been in my mind for way too long.

Let us know how the screen is. I am definitely interested in it, Maybe if I decide to keep my car I will upgrade to that one also.

'14 NGP IS350 Fsport

plusONE +1
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleego View Post
I have seen that screen it looks really nice as it is capacitive touch.
I considered scrapping my screen and going for that one but I don't wanna throw more money in the project as I might actually sell my car in the next couple of months but I wanted to get this project out of my system as it has been in my mind for way too long.

Let us know how the screen is. I am definitely interested in it, Maybe if I decide to keep my car I will upgrade to that one also.

'14 NGP IS350 Fsport

plusONE +1
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by specONE View Post
I have not seen any USB GPS dongle work with Android, If you guys figure out one do share. I have plugged in a Microsoft one that works for PC but Android does not know what to do with it.
I have seen a few message board posts here and there that seem to try to tackle the issue. This is one here: Our Houzz: Installing G-STAR IV BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver (pl2303 based USB GPS Receiver) on no GPS Android Tablet - Part 1

& here: Can someone support the USB GPS - Page 6 - xda-developers

I think between the two I should hopefully figure something out.
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Lurker

Well damn, the 7" screen I wanted to use for this is having more delays and they are cancelling pre-orders. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for a bit. ( Or to try to find a way to stuff a 10" unit in somewhere )
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM

I'm glad I found this thread. I am currently taking on the same project and have gone through a very similar thought process. My current road block was finding an open frame touch screen. I'm surprised that there aren't more on the market. Two years from now I'm sure they will be very common.

bleego, thanks for the link to the screen you are considering. Their blog post describing their delays is entertaining. Generally I don't like a company that takes your money and doesn't deliver product but they seem to be honest and upfront about the development process.
Update on 7inch status | Chalkboard Electronics
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Lurker

James, Although I am unhappy to report that they still aren't able to produce the screen. I can at least mention that they did refund the money that I paid in the meantime.

Unfortunately I think I will have to scrap that particular design as a result. Which is sad because I was really looking forward to having a static screen that could have it's "brain" swapped out at will. ... in case I upgrade the tablet, or windows 7 gets better or something.

But I think with the new Nexus 7 being released. I may either 1) get a new Nexus 7, or 2) get an old Nexus 7 if I find one really cheap and tear it apart to fit in the cubbyhole. Since the price of the Nexus 7 isn't that much greater than one of these screens. And it already has GPS so that is one less thing for me to worry about. I have a few things I need to worry about first before I can get to it, so I'll at least have a little bit for prices to settle on old Nexii and see what the best option for me is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page