User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Immortal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

MB Quart vs. Diamond Audio

I've read a lot about these two specific brands of speakers being installed on a lot of our wonderful IS300's, but I've never really seen a comparison of the two by members. Just wanted to start this topic so that people with either brand can shine some light on why they chose the brand & line that is in their car. If you know of anything else that competes with these two brands for the same price range, feel free to drop that name as well. I'm considering the Premium PCE216 from MB Quart and the DA counterpart for the price, and just wanted to know what people thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSchmonda View Post
I would give Denard a blowjob while I wear my #16 Michigan jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
maybe your the one that's stupid. It's spelt "Canada", not "canadia"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have owned MB's in the past, and am currently running Diamonds in the IS. Both are great, I personally like the diamonds sound quality a little better, they seem to hit sharper highs and are very crisp sounding. I listen to alot of multichannel sources (5.1 dts) and the diamonds really fill the cab with a nice rich sound.

Cant go wrong with either.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Immortal

Cool, what line of Diamond Audio do you have? Anyone else care to shed some light? I'm also interested in Focals.

Quote:
Quote:

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Guru

I like diamond better compared to the MB Quarts. THey sound more natural and tighter.

2011 ZCP Melbourne Red M3 Coupe. 6MT
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Altruist

this is such a loaded question. Everyone has different tastes in sounds and music. So there is not really one speaker bette than another. Some sound more pleasing to the ear than others in different sictuations. I personally have MB Quarts. I love them good crisp response. however I have had Focals in the past and they were not what they were cracked up to be for the price. However I am impressed with the new line upthat they have. You have to jsut go in a shop and listen to each speaker on the SAME headunit and judge for yourself. Cause as you should know each headunit will pickup the freq's a little different and put them out to an amp and they will sound a little different,.

01' IS 300 N/A Slug (SOLD)

13 SR5 CrewMax 2WD Tundra
1970 240Z, LS3/Magnacharger/T56 swapped......JAPTIN
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Immortal

Yeah I completely understand listening to all of them on the same head unit, and I've done just that at local stores. The only problem I faced with that situation is the dynamics of the car. The way a speaker sounds in an open room will be slightly, if not dramatically, different than in our smaller sedans. So I guess I'm trying to ask is everyone pleased with their speakers in their cars based on how they rated the speakers in a store. See what I mean? Overall I like MB Quart those most, and have heard the Q and Reference lines in my friends' mustangs, but I just want to make sure that the dynamics of the inside of the IS is consistent with most other cars when comparing imaging and staging in similar locations.

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Addict

I personally did everything Diamond Audio. When comparing them to MBQuart it is a hard decision. Both companies make an awesome sounding speaker. I chose the Diamond Hex series for all my components. Things I did not use from diamond were their crossovers. With the Hex crossovers you will hear much more voice comming from the 6.5" speakers. Rather than 4" kicks shooting out more vocals. So I chose to JL eclipse crossovers and the difference was amazing. As far as comparison. I would have to say it really depends on your taste. I feel the Diamond's sound a bit more clear and solid than the MB's; a more full sound. The MB's I found to be a little pingy at times and sometime earpiercing. For those with the love of extremely loud and voicy sounds the Mb's are your choice. I chose which speakers made the "Lexus" luxurious sound I wanted and then it was all Diamond.

-Matt

02 IBP 6spd Turbo IS300 *Modified Magazine April 05*- Sold to grasp reality
99 Porsche 911 Midnight Blue- Sold to afford a life.
02 Lincoln LSE FOR SALE
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Frequenter

Diamond audio is not as great as the mobiletronics forum seems to make them out to be. There are so many better speakers out there. MB Quartz are not worth buying unless you get the QSD sets.

Go with Focal, They are easily better than Diamond audio and MB Quartz. I said to go with Focal 'cause it was your other choice you threw in there, there are many others to choose but that is a good one.

Anything would be better over stock but if you're gonna upgrade why just barely upgrade.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Addict

Focal Yummy! I think both Diamond Hex's and the Focal Utopia's are both excellent choices when properlly fed. I have seen many of these competing setups in IASCA this year and they are just thumping....You get what ytou pay for def with the Focal's :crazy:
-Matt

02 IBP 6spd Turbo IS300 *Modified Magazine April 05*- Sold to grasp reality
99 Porsche 911 Midnight Blue- Sold to afford a life.
02 Lincoln LSE FOR SALE
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo
Cool, what line of Diamond Audio do you have? Anyone else care to shed some light? I'm also interested in Focals.
I have the Diamond Hex series 6.5s for front and rear, and am running 2 JL 300/2 amps for them.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Immortal

so to power the K2 line of Focal (utopias just dont seem like they're worth it, lets face it) would the Alpine MRV-F540 be good enough to run those? It has fabulous power output and I love Alpine.

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Useless

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmin
Diamond audio is not as great as the mobiletronics forum seems to make them out to be. There are so many better speakers out there. MB Quartz are not worth buying unless you get the QSD sets.

Go with Focal, They are easily better than Diamond audio and MB Quartz. I said to go with Focal 'cause it was your other choice you threw in there, there are many others to choose but that is a good one.

Anything would be better over stock but if you're gonna upgrade why just barely upgrade.
I had both in my own personal vehicle and as much as I love the Focal Utopia's, the DA Hex series own when it comes down to price. I am not sure why it is you do not like the DA speakers, but for the monies the Hex series really is hard to beat by any brand. The shallow mid bass has an unbeleivable midbass response to it. The choice of silk or aluminum tweeter for different choices of music is a great addition. The RAF feature that not near enough people use or understand is 1 of the greatest benefits that one could get for a stereo and not video install. The crossover is not made with the components of the Focal Utopia x-over, but the nice looking metal and plexi case make it attractive for installation purposes.

I love the Focal tweeter over the da and the linear response, but lets face it, The Utopias are over $1000.00 for the 6.5" set and the DA's retail for under $600.00.

You are hard pressed to find for the money a better package than the Hex series from Diamond Audio. The choice is ultimately yours as your ears will decide what is right for.

BTW, In the sales forum, their is a used set of Focal Utopia's for around the price of a set of Hex's. :D

"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason."
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 07:25 AM
Fiend

these are also good products..

Alpine SPX: http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...in=10&p_more=y

^good price @: http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2171

Resonate Engineering RE Comps: http://www.bladeice.com/compre.htm
http://www.reaudio.com/html/
http://www.reaudio.com/html/images/re_comp.gif
contact RE for pricing. best comps > $200

^id take any of these over any Diamonds or MB Quarts and id take Focal K2P/Utopia over RE/SPX's but im focal bias..

if price is no concern then id recommend
DLS (Iridiums): http://www.dls.se/english/index.htm
DynAudio: http://dynaudio.com/eng/mobile/index2.htm
AVI Sound (BSM): http://avisound.com/ (havent auditioned these but have heard very good things)
Seas Lotus (Reference): http://seaslotus.com (i have these)
Alpine (F1 Status): http://alpine-usa.com/ (Scan Speak drivers)
Genesis (Absolute): http://www.genesiscaraudio.net (havent auditioned but uses Scan Speak drivers which are very nice)
Rainbow (Platnum): http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=3 (havent auditioned. Profi Vanadium line is nice but not in the same league as others listed)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:23 AM
CRB
Extremist

Second to Dynaudio! But installation might have some issues.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Immortal

I asked some local shops around my area (Gainesville as well as Tampa) and they all praised DA for the sound quality and what not, but said that whenever there is the slightest problem with the amplifier (clipping, underpower, overpower, etc) that the crossovers fry? Is there any truth to this rumor?

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page