• 1 Post By trowe2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Head unit recommendations

Since this sub forum seems to be dead...

I'm going to be removing my dash to fix the melting mess and was thinking about anything else I could/should do while it's out.
So I thought about the head unit - my unit in there now is a Sony single din cd/mp3 player that I got in 06 or 07. Back then I only wanted a rear aux for my sirius and 3 5v preouts for the amp.
Things have changed a lot since then, so I'm open to suggestions for upgrading. Since there's so many choices out there I'll just ask for manufacturer recommendations.

My biggest thing is keeping the rca outs at 4v or higher. I remember only Sony and Pioneer did that?

Thanks!

-= 15 Riviera Red GS350 F Sport =-
-= 03 Intensa Blue IS300 5spd =-
-= 99 Black Turbo ZX2 L10auto =-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)

Any head unit should work. It really depends on what features you want. What has changed since you put that in? Why is it not good enough? Any big name brand should work though, it's a universal thing, so that's why this subforum is "dead"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Got a JVC kwv420BT and I'm really happy with it, got all the features you could want. Bluetooth of course, Video playback, A really nice and hefty Sound related parameters. 14 band equalizer. Really easy to use. easy to setup. By the way JVC and Kenwood are the same company so you can have a look for the Kenwood. Even the Interface is nearly identical

https://www.us.jvc.com/archive/car/m...dia/kw_v420bt/
Posh469 likes this.

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Garage
Back when I used to install Audio Systems - I almost went exclusively with Pioneer.

Great quality but most of all - great control over EQ's to balance your system specific to your ear / car.
- I am sure they make some nice double-din systems or motorized LCD Displays.

Personally, I would stick away from motorized displays if your suspension set-up is more aggressive.

A nice double-din LCD would be pretty clean.

<3 IS LUV <3
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

I love my ATOTO A6 PRO unit! It works very well and boots up faster than the pioneer double din that it replaced. I have it connected via torque to the obd2 and the audio quality is very good. I have offfline maps downloaded and the GPS works very well. I have a subwoofer in the truck and the settings on the unit are very easy to use. I use a backup camera also and the integration is easy and the volume automatically lowers when you put it into reverse, as long as the wiring is done properly.

2004 IS300 8N6 automatic - F&F Coilovers, Eibach sway bars, DIY Intake hardpipe, FR-S LSD swap, buddy club driver seat, Aftermarket HID's and LED Tail lights, Trunk strut mod
.....Soon to be NA-T with CX Racing hard parts, Garrett 60-1 turbo, Tial 50mm BOV, Tial MVR wastegate and FIC 6 piggyback
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just finished a install of an Alpine ilx650. Great unit especially if you want CarPlay (not wireless tho) a deal at $300. Additional benefit is that itís only about 3 inches deep which makes the install super easy. I have a pioneer in my other rig and itís a great option also.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If you aren't all that big into head units like me just install the GROM system. I bought mine on Amazon even. They have an option for an AUX cable but phones are doing away with those anyway so I bought the bluetooth version. It works perfectly fine and I get to keep my stock dash and head unit. I can use the button on the stock head unit to change songs and everything. It also transitions from music/radio to calls easily as well through the bluetooth. It was also like $100. If you have any questions let me know, it was very straight forward.
Jaysz28 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh469 View Post
Back when I used to install Audio Systems - I almost went exclusively with Pioneer.

Great quality but most of all - great control over EQ's to balance your system specific to your ear / car.
- I am sure they make some nice double-din systems or motorized LCD Displays.

Personally, I would stick away from motorized displays if your suspension set-up is more aggressive.

A nice double-din LCD would be pretty clean.
Pioneer seems to be one of the few other brands that have a higher voltage pre-out, so they are on my radar. The EQ point is great, thanks for that. I have the "standard" settings on my current unit so I'm guessing the overall sound can be much better with something that has better control.

-= 15 Riviera Red GS350 F Sport =-
-= 03 Intensa Blue IS300 5spd =-
-= 99 Black Turbo ZX2 L10auto =-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the older Pioneer AVHX3800BHS in my land cruiser and its a great head unit, 4V preamp, lots of customizing options s cool graphics etc. My main complaints are that the screen washes out in direct sunlight (a sunny day and polarized sunglasses make it virtually unreadable) and its is a little slow to boot up. These issues may be fixed in the newer models and the glare issue may mot be as bad in the IS due to the head unit being lower in the car. My new Alpine has a larger capacitive touchscreen that is awesome, boots up faster but still takes a while, has cleaner power (no distortion until over 90% volume vs. 75% on the Pioneer), 4V preamp, I like the cross over settings better and its set up for Sirius but is about $100 more than the comparable pioneer and the graphics aren't as cool.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...t=&awug=111328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page