LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Aftermarket HU with Stock Amp & Speakers + New Sub

Hello All.

So I've learned a great deal of info here on the forums but I just need some quick clarification.

I have a 2004 IS300 and want to update the audio just a tad bit.

All I want is to ADD an aftermarket head unit and single subwoofer.

If I buy the metra harness, I should be able to just add an aftermarket headunit and then plug and play, all 6 speakers should work, correct?

For adding a subwoofer, I read that I could use a converter and tap into the 6x9s in the back. Would I do this or would I run RCAs to the head units like a normal aftermarket setup? I of course would install new amp for the lone sub.

Any clarifications would help, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

You would use a metra tyto-01 harness and all stock speakers would work with your aftermarket headunit. Your aftermarket headunit should have a sub output. You would run rcas from the headunit to the trunk for the subwoofer.

I have the older style metra tyto-01 harness with the RCAS thats known to be more reliable for sale if you're interested. $40 shipped+paypal fees.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin923 View Post
You would use a metra tyto-01 harness and all stock speakers would work with your aftermarket headunit. Your aftermarket headunit should have a sub output. You would run rcas from the headunit to the trunk for the subwoofer.

I have the older style metra tyto-01 harness with the RCAS thats known to be more reliable for sale if you're interested. $40 shipped+paypal fees.
Kevin perfect, this is what I needed to know.

1. Ill let you know as right now Im having another serious problem to take care of first
2. Can you explain the "older style" more reliable tyto-01 harness? Ive not read about that...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
You can actually bypass the stock amp easily. There are connectors atop the two rear shock towers and they have standard Toyota wiring colors. You can just tap into those and connect directly to your rear speakers. The front speaker wires are also Toyota colored and are each side kick panel. Just tap into them there and you are good to go. You will lose the voice navigation if you do this though, but if you are a little crafty with a small speaker and small amp from Parts Express, you can regain that function.

Also, at the rear plugs, you can use the high-level input to the factory sub and keep that working as well.

I have a SportCross, so I cannot confirm the sedan has the same plugs in the back, but the front half of the car is identical.

2002 IS300 Sportcross
completely stock...for now

1990 Supra
1JZ GTE twin turbo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)

As the others have said, you will just run your add-on sub like any other setup, no need to tap the rear speakers.

As for the headunit, the best-sounding quality adapter kit is the BeatSonic SLA-91. I had the Metra and it was crap, but the BeatSonic is OEM sound.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noloc4545 View Post
Kevin perfect, this is what I needed to know.

1. Ill let you know as right now Im having another serious problem to take care of first
2. Can you explain the "older style" more reliable tyto-01 harness? Ive not read about that...
The newer tyto-01 has wires that you splice in to your aftermarket radio harness. The older one has 4 rca- two for front and two for rear that you just plug into your headunit. A lot of people have had issues with the newer tyto-01. I've had the older one in a 2001 and later my 2002 without any issues. I would definitely recommend using a metra or beatsonic harness over bypassing the stock amp.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin923 View Post

Do you still have that older style metra tyto-01 harness for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page