Sedan remote key programmed for SportX ? - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
V8 Sportcross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

WDLC and BC are different part numbers on the sedan and SX.

However, experience tells me that they will likely interchange with a little debugging post install. I've not tried it, but most Toyota parts are reasonably modular since mid 90's.

You will not want to do this through Lexus, each piece is about $700 retail...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

the thing is the sportx never had the programming to pop the trunk, so when the WDLC is replaced and recognizes the sportx VIN from the main ECU it knows it does not have a response to unlock the trunk. swapping in a sedan WDLC might work but the main hang up could be the VIN and main ECU. since you said you put in a new body computer and did not have to do anything that tells me the programming is in the main ECU and definitely has to have an engineer from Toyota HQ write something. so even if you know people with the tech tool it sounds like its not going to be just a swap and tech tool reprogram because when i used to work at a Chevy dealership (service writer) i would help the guys out all the time so i got pretty familiar with the GM tech tool and all of its functions.

key programming is different because all you are doing is syncing it to the system, there are always an maximum amount of keys or transmitters that can be synced to any vehicle and a tech tool is not needed.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM
V8 Sportcross

I hear what you're saying and with your experience understand why you feel that way. However, I've not found a computer on a Toyota (pre-2005 is my experience) that has had to have a vin programmed into it like the big 3 have. My dodge needed a body computer and ECU programmed with a vin, but the Lexus and Toyota ECU's I've delt with have not. My GS400 ECU is running everything but the coolant temp and traction control system in my Sportcross. I did no programming outside of the immobilizer/key programming. Coolant temp doesn't work as computer wasn't programmed to send out the component address or the component address changed in the BEAN protocol(Toyota's multiplex). (I've not determined which)

It's going to take some basic wiring also. I just glanced at the diagram, but it's close as 'is'. At worst, moving a pin or two. After that, one would just have to figure out what doesn't work on the car after the parts are swapped.

Just depends on what unit does the key processing; Which unit actually receives and processes the key signal? Body computer or just the WDLC or both? I do suspect the sedan key and SX key both transmit different signals for the trunk and panic code. So, keys, body and WDLC are all likely to need to be changed. I'll dig out the manuals tonight. I don't have an electronic version of the lock system to access at work.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Frequenter

my main concern is because it is the lock system of the vehicle it is linked to the security system so there will be more involved than just pins and would require some VIN verification because of liability on Toyota's end.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Frequenter

btw, my key doesn't work right now, i should've bought 2 batteries last time i changed my wife's one, UGH! i was standing outside the car last night ready to pull it into the garage after working on my car and it wouldn't unlock!!! looked at it and the light barely lit up everytime i pressed the button FML!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
I just replaced the batteries on my key last week!

2005 MSM Sportcross: 4/10/09-12/4/13-Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI SOLD
2014 Subaru Forester XT SOLD
2007 Saab 9-5 Sportcombi Aero SOLD
2015 VW Tiguan
1998 Lexus LX470
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Fiend

Brad,
I see mav3rick478 point. I actually work with a tech tool for Volvo and all ECUs are VIN specific. The ECU will not work correctly unless it is programmed with the Correct VIN.

Saying that I see your point where you say that Toyotas are not VIN specific.

But if they are not VIN specific I would not see why It could not be done.

03' Ultrasonic Blue Metallic SportX

//Joe-Z//Kranze LXZ//Gita Visors//D2 Coilovers
//L-Sportline Side Skirts
//HKS Kansai Lip//JDM Vertex Rear Lip
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
V8 Sportcross

I know the Engine ECU and immobilizer is not vin specific. Otherwise, my car would not be operating with the GS400 engine ECU.

I replaced the body computer without programming also. Now, the Engine ECU did require a key programming, but that can be performed without the tool. The Engine ECU/immobilizer may have written code to the body computer when it was new.

Talking with a Lexus tech just a few minutes ago, he wasn't sure what it'd take to make the car recognize the sedan key.

But felt this would do it: Worst case, remove your engine ECU, have it reset (by a dealer or send it to a locksmith that has this ability), replace the body computer and WDLC.

When the key is programmed, the body computer and engine ECU stores the key code in it to keep it a unique ID. The SX body computer and WDLC *might* have the firmware code in it for the trunk release, but may or may not have the transistor driver that triggers the relay.

One may or may not be able to omit one or part of those steps. If someone gets me a sedan body computer and WLDC from a parts car, I'll give it a try in the next 45 days or so. I've been eyeball deep in the wiring this past month anyhow.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM

I just bought one of the sedan master key with remote and transponder (open trunk, unlock, and lock w/panic printed) off ebay last week. Had the key blank cut at a locksmith (no lazer cutting involved, was just cut with a drill type tool he was using to cut other keys). Programmed the remote following instruction I found in the forums. Same with the built in transponder.

The unlock and lock buttons now work just like my original remote. Trunk release does not work or do anything. and unable to set the car off in panic mode by holding the lock/panic button or double/tripple clicking it.

But the new key works like a charm otherwise. Total cost was $75 for the remote/transponder/keyblank + $30 for the key cutting. Only funtion I lost was the Panic mode which I'd probably never use anyway.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
back from the dead!

i'm in a situation. my sportx came with two keys, and only one works. come to find out the other key was cut for another is300 but a sedan. i want to use the transponder in that key but was wondering if this was possible to work on a sportx. after reading the above i'm still inconclusive on the answer.

are there any differences in sedan transponders vs sportx besides the buttons? i know sedan keys have a trunk pop where we sportx owners have our panic button, which makes me believe that this may not work.
just a 2 year update haha!

i was able to program my sedan key transponder to work with my sportx. i simply used the same instructions on here to program both the key immobilizer and the transmitter remote programming. it look a few attempts but the procedure worked great!
https://my.is/forums/f122/programming...n-info-428151/

as stated by philip271, the unlock and lock buttons work fine however the trunk release (obviously) and the panic does not. the key is now recognized by the immobilizer and can start the car!

1cor10:31
- 07 BWB is250
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 AM

So I realized that there're a few other models that use keys w/ the panic button instead of trunk release (ie GX, RX, older SC, some Toyota models, etc.). I see a lot of these on eBay and they have the same FCC ID as the IS sedan remotes. They look identical to the SportX key/remote. I suspect these are the same remote as ours, but who knows. Think these will program?

Here're a few examples I just found:
Lexus RX Remote Key Fob FCC ID HYQ1512V 3 Button Red Panic | eBay
Lexus Keyless Remote with New Uncut Key Shell HYQ1512V | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page