LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
RX style Auto Tailgate for SportCross

Just wondering. . . .

Has anyone looked into the possibility of powering the Sportcross tailgate / rear door by fitting either RX parts < i.e. Door Actuator & Sensors > or generic parts < i.e. replacing struts with small linear motors?

I've been thinking about this as it's quite a handy feature; even the mid-price wagons seem to have this feature now.

I would prefer to use an OEM RX style actuator & sensors but; I haven't as yet eyeballed an RX to check out the mechanism - but very much doubt the parts could be modified to suit the Sportcross.

Assuming this to be the case I've noticed a few generic retro-fit kits that comprise Linear motors replacing the struts; common-sense tells me this would probably be my only option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I don't have a RX to reference, but I do have a sienna so I would imagine there similar. The mechanism is larger than the pillar space on the sx, and would be located in the same space as the rear tweeter location. But I say so it, maybe use a sedan fob with trunk release to activate it.

13 J8A FR-S Series 10
02 CW Sportcross rebuild in progress
02 BO Sportcross 2jzgte build in progress
11 SW Tundra DC TRD supercharged

02 MSM L-tuned Sportcross 5 Speed Sold
01 DWP IS300 Sold

Sportcross owners group on facebook

My Story: https://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...8/#post7991882

My For Sale: https://my.is/forums/f99/sportcross-s...hifter-438917/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:56 PM

I looked into this. The opener is mounted on the roof under the liner. Lots of custom work needed for a clean look...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Newbie; that's pretty much what I figured from looking at the exploded diagrams on Toyo.DIY.

It would be quite a P.I.T.A.; the headlining would have to come out; and brackets for the opener custom fabricated & attached to underside of roof. (assuming that is; that there's actually enough space btw the SX pillar & headliner for it to fit.

Even then you would probably have to repaint to the duco on the roof because of damage caused by heat transfer from the welding process- unless that is; you have a lot of faith in JB Weld).

The other issue is that AFAIK; the opener directly actuates one of the door hinges; so you would have to adapt an RX hinge. .

Now; if you had a (hell of a lot) of time on your hands and got this far. . . you would THEN have the issue of mounting the LH & RH sensors; which (from Toyo.DIY diag.) seem to mount onto each edge of the rear glass / door pillars. I figure the chances of these RX sensors fitting into the SX back door with an OEM look to be 2/5 of F.A.

Apart from this I had to peel away the leading edge of the headliner when fitting the rear camera. It seemed to be glued in & didn't pull away easily - it seemed to me that you could easily damage or even destroy the headliner trying to get it out if you weren't very patient / careful.

I think I've answered my own question here - it's all too hard. Might look again at the feasibility of replacing OEM struts with Linear Motors.

I might check this out closer to Christmas (our Holiday period) when I've got a bit more time on my hands. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page