New member intro - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New member intro

EDIT: Oops! Just saw there's a parked new owner intro thread. Moderator, please feel free to delete this (doesn't seem like I can do it) and I'll post my intro there. Sorry!

Hey guys! New SportCross owner here. My wife has been driving a sweet Mini Cooper for a few years but finally just wanted a car with more than 2 doors. I'm a die-hard Mazda guy so our default choice was a hatchback Mazda3 or Mazda6 wagon. The 3 is popular and resale value seems high, so it was hard finding one in our price range in the year/condition we want. The 6 is even harder to find, harder still after a perfect example slipped right thru our fingers. I've been a big fan of the Altezza ever since it first came out, and have always adored the SportCross. I toyed with the idea but they're so rare, plus I didn't think the wife would like it. I happened to find one, went to check it out, was in decent shape, and turned out she loves it. So we now own an '02 MSM SportX!

As I said I'm a Mazda guy. I drive an RX-8 right now, and used to have a '93 RX-7. So far (after a day!) both of us are loving the SportX. First off, it just looks so cool! Size is simply perfect for us. Driving-wise, very pleasant. It has enough of that user-friendliness and buttery smoothness of modern Toyotas to please the wife, yet the suspension feels tight and firm like in my RX-8. Steering also feels great. After we brought it home I was snooping around and found out that it has the LSD! From what I've been reading, these cars are also very reliable and well-built? This is like the perfect car.

Anyway, got a few minor questions.
-It came with a master key and a valet one. I tend to want to have a lot of keys just to feel safe. If we lose the master key, can the valet be used to program? How does the transponder work with Toyotas/Lexus? Is the chip in the key or the remote? (ie if I buy one of those remote key shells, is there a transponder in there?)
-Do these cars typically use synthetics? I don't have the records from the previous owner, so I don't know what kind of oil he's used all its life. If it's never used synthetics, I don't want to switch. Seems like it was serviced largely at the Lexus dealer.
-What should a new owner check on? It has just under 117k miles; timing belt was done around 96k. This will be our daily-driver, and we want to keep it for a long time. Any reliability items I should pay attention to?

Thanks! And here's a photo of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spx.png
Views:	64
Size:	584.1 KB
ID:	33849  

Last edited by roaduscarnivorous; 10-28-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Fiend

All you lucky dogs and your factory LSD's. I really wish I was so lucky but anyways nice buy! I really think the sportX's look nice. I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you they are very reliable and well built, as long as regular maintenance is kept up you should be able to pull at least 250k out of the car maybe much more i really don't know. Sorry I don't know the answer about your keys but I use fully synthetic 5w-30, welcome to the forums.

K&N FIPK Intake /// HKS Carbon-Ti /// Hotchkis Sway Bars /// Pioneer P4300 /// Rigid Bars /// Blue Brakes /// Tokico Illuminas /// Eibach pro-kit /// FIGS HeatShield /// Enkei RPF1's 18x8.5(F) 18x9.5(R) /// Hankook V12's 265's

"I think it looks great! Love the wide wheels and it doesnt look like a Mexicans Isuzu Rodeo on 13's". -xboostx
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, do you mind me asking how much you picked up the car for? You may find the information about your key here.

https://my.is/forums/f87/do-i-have-ls...k-more-300932/

These cars are pretty solid, since the timing belt was done already and you said it was regularly serviced at the dealership, I don't think there is anything specific to look for maintence wise. Synthetic is not required I use it to space out my oil changes a little longer.

13 J8A FR-S Series 10
02 CW Sportcross rebuild in progress
02 BO Sportcross 2jzgte build in progress
11 SW Tundra DC TRD supercharged

02 MSM L-tuned Sportcross 5 Speed Sold
01 DWP IS300 Sold

Sportcross owners group on facebook

My Story: https://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...8/#post7991882

My For Sale: https://my.is/forums/f99/sportcross-s...hifter-438917/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I did look thru that thread before but I guess not hard enough. I'll probably just get a non-remote transponder key off eBay. Can't seem to find key with remote or just the transponder for cheap, but I'll keep an eye out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curran View Post
Welcome to the site, do you mind me asking how much you picked up the car for? You may find the information about your key here.

https://my.is/forums/f87/do-i-have-ls...k-more-300932/

These cars are pretty solid, since the timing belt was done already and you said it was regularly serviced at the dealership, I don't think there is anything specific to look for maintence wise. Synthetic is not required I use it to space out my oil changes a little longer.

Last edited by roaduscarnivorous; 10-30-2012 at 11:41 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Welcome to the SportX family. Glad to have you.

03' Ultrasonic Blue Metallic SportX

//Joe-Z//Kranze LXZ//Gita Visors//D2 Coilovers
//L-Sportline Side Skirts
//HKS Kansai Lip//JDM Vertex Rear Lip
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Guru

Looking good. Welcome!

I coalesce the vapor of human experience into a viable and logical comprehenshion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Frequenter

Welcome to the family!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Frequenter

Garage
Welcome. That's my favorite color n wagon

SportX msm.... MK4 6sp single.... thats it...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Follower

welcome homie

------------------------------------------------------

Nice parts dont make a nice car, paying to have pros do every little thing and never touching it yourself or driving it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page