User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Ok, I think I figured out the rear view mirror. Can someone tell me if I'm right?
It looks like the mirror has been off and reinstalled in a new location. There's a chip on the inside of the glass in the black dot area (you can see it in the first picture below) which I would guess was its original location. Someone stuck it back on where they could. Yeah?

I washed it for the first time yesterday. With clean wheels and some touched-up paint, it looks quite presentable. I also had my mom drive it for the first time today. I can't get a real vibe on how she feels about it. She says she likes it but she might just be being polite.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Its definitely coming together man. Kind of funny but it looks like were from the same area. I grew up in the centreville/chantilly area. That brz diff will be fun once installed. Good luck getting the rest buttoned up. And that really sucks about your subaru. I miss my wrx, but dont miss the ej platform lol.

2004 IS300 Eshift
BRZ 4.1 LSD - 18x8.5 Evo X Enkei's - Koni
- Tein - Stoptech - EBC - Tanabe
Thread: https://my.is/forums/f219/tvl3rds-2004-is300-565586/
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Yup, I used to live all over NOVA. I grew up in Winchester though. I spent some time in Centreville, Manassas, Vienna, Rosyln, Arl-andria, and finally settled out here in Sterling.
I was just in Richmond this weekend. Stopped by Japanese Classics while there too. Wow

post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I've been driving it fairly regularly recently and it is running great.
I put a bunch of the maintenance parts I plan on getting on my Christmas list, so hopefully that will help. I plan to do the timing belt service sometime early 2016.
I still haven't been able to nail my buddy down to do the PDR, however it's probably better since this month is going to be expensive without him.

Anyone able to weigh in on my mirror question above?
If someone would take a picture of their mirror placement, that would be great.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It's supposed to be where the dot is...I took a pic for you but it's not uploading for some reason. If you want it I can email it to you.

What all does Japanese Classics keep in stock? Never thought it was worth stopping by but judging by their website maybe I'm wrong!
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

So I was right! Well, that's just going to be how that is unless it falls off.

They have more cars in stock than the site shows. I'd say there were a total of about 35 cars - including ones they don't sell.
I just stopped by on a random Saturday and asked if I could look around. I felt like they were super accommodating and friendly. You get paired up with an employee and they take you into the warehouse space and you can walk around and look at everything.
I really wanted to see the Cosmo they had and he let me get in and look it all over and take my time. Overall I got a really great vibe from the place and will probably give them a bunch of money here in the next couple years.
Definitely worth a trip.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)

Garage
The top of the rear view mirror should sit up against the headliner
spyfi likes this.

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Yup, thanks, after reading up on what it takes to replace it, I believe I will just leave it alone.
mm71522 likes this.
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Not much to update. It's been doing great though I haven't been driving it too much.

I got some parts for Christmas and then ordered some more afterward. Should be ready to go soon.

I also picked up this NOS rear cargo mat for a pretty good price. The fitment isn't the best since the floor panels have flaps that stick up, but it covers everything nicely and adds a little more completeness to the car... for me anyway.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:08 PM.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey LandArk I have a question about the interior parts you got locally. Don't want to derail your thread - can you email me? Justins311 at hotmail dot com.
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nice job man. I just got dmv registration yesterday. I also have all over scratched wheels, so $225 was for all 4 wheels or only 2? And where you got sigarette lighter knob? Lol I have almost same problems with my car
like: timing belt, wheels, seats, PDR, electronics, etc. Currently located in Centreville. Got sedan 2001 IS300 MSM with 163K. Also which backup camera you installed? could you provide details about that? sorry for lot of questions and good luck with restoration process.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4b3ck View Post
Nice job man. I just got dmv registration yesterday.
There seem to be a ton of new IS300 owners in NoVa. Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Let's see...
$225 was the repair of ONE wheel. But since you have a sedan you are fine just getting 17x7 all around. You can get already refurbed wheels for way less than that. I use wheelsandcaps.com whenever I buy wheels because I have had a lot of good luck with them.
I also had great service from autorimshop.com. They were the ones who sent me the wheel after I sent the wrong size one back. They ended up not charging me for that one and didn't ask for it back. Plus the woman working for them was very attentive and nice. wheelsandcaps isn't quite as friendly.

I got the lighter from a junk yard. My advice, since it sounds like you are going to get a new stereo, don't bother with the lighter (unless you smoke) and get a USB plug for it instead. That's what I have in there now.

If you have a black interior, seats shouldn't be a problem. It would be worth a trip up to Mt. Airy Maryland to the junk yard there. There were really nice full leather heated seats in two cars when I was there a couple weeks ago. I tried getting one out but it was slid too far forward to reach the bolts.
In any event, I was able to find black seats everywhere I looked. Try Car-Part.com, that's how I found mine.

The camera I have is a Boyo VTB123HD and I got it for $46 shipped off ebay. It does require drilling and it comes with the bit you need. But I'd probably recommend just getting a license plate frame camera so you don't need to put giant holes in anything and you can take it off for another car later if you want.

Best of luck with your new car. I can't stop looking for a sedan for myself. If one with low miles shows up close by I'll be in a bit of a bind.
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Probably not going to be working on it for a while.

Actually with our weather it'll probably be all melted by Tuesday.

TobiasSing and Trendie like this.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:08 PM.
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I had my timing belt service done and while it was in I also had the RF wheel bearing replaced. I also had them check the other bearings which checked out ok. The guys who worked on it all marveled at its low miles and condition. I let them know that it was not always the case.

So, since I have been pretty up front with things up to this point I figure I'll give you the price break down.
Timing belt labor was $428

Now, they originally quoted me $210 to do the wheel bearing which I thought was appropriate. Well, turns out they didn't know it was a press in and they ended up charging me $428 to do it. I feel like that was way too much for that - WAY too much. But, it was already there and I know they would actually do the work and do it right so I gave them the go ahead. I won't be going back for bearings there however as I got a quote from another shop for $275.

They also noted that the drive belt tensioner was making noise so they replaced it, I was really hoping to avoid that because of the cost, but when I picked up the car he spun the old one for me and they weren't kidding.

So, the labor and the pulley cost me $1055. A lot more than I expected but it's done and I don't have to worry about any of that.

Next up, I'll do a trans fluid change and try to tackle the diff swap.
I keep thinking I'm nearly done. At least the big ticket items are out of the way.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

The time has finally come. My mom turned in her lease and officially took over the IS. We spent some time a couple weeks ago going over everything so hopefully she'll know how to answer an incoming call and use the windshield wipers.
I handed her the keys this afternoon and she's on her way to pick up her grandson (my sister's kid) as we speak.

I ended up not installing the rear diff. I was worried about being able to get the axles off without ruining the bolts plus I would be laying on my back to take it out, so I figure I'll either do it another time or I may sell it and tell her to stay off the road when it snows - which she should be doing anyway.

Bon voyage! Until my next IS.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page