Land Ark's Sportcross Restoration Thread - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That looks like some really good work... digging into that dash means you are much braver than me. Given your ability to do that, I imagine the timing belt (and water pump?) swap should not be much of a challenge, especially if you look at the DIY on this site. I found the transmission flush to be pretty straightforward as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I don't know about doing the timing belt. If I could get the crank bolt off with my air gun without having to hold it, I would probably take a stab. But I'll likely just take it somewhere after I accumulate the parts.
I can no longer convince myself that I am saving money buying the car cheap and working on it myself. I overpaid for what I got and I have come to grips with that. Now, I just want to do what it takes to get it to 100% so I don't have to worry about my mom driving it. But what I have learned is that I am a complete IS300 convert. This thing is a pleasure to work on unlike most any other car I've owned. After this, I see myself getting another IS, though this time a sedan. Probably in gray or blue, BLACK! interior and I'd love the darker Sport Design wheels.

Update time:

I got my wheel refurbished at Alloy Wheel Solutions, INC in Chantilly, VA, though that's not 100% accurate since they sent it out to get done. It cost $225. Once I got it back I took the car to get the last two new tires mounted and balanced and get a full alignment - which it definitely needed.

Here's the wheel that was the spare in the car that I did not repair:

And here's the repaired wheel:

Then today I took it to get tint applied. It is 35% all around and I had him black out the sunroof. It's darker than I expected considering it has the ivory interior, I hope it's not going to attract attention.

Next up, get my buddy to make time to do the PDR.

I should also point out that you need to wear a quality mask when sanding. I wore a painters mask while working on my bumper 2 weeks ago and it was not enough. I developed bronchitis the night after my second attempt at sanding it. I'm still coughing and it sucks. So go get some good stuff if you plan on doing your own sanding.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:58 PM.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Today I didn't plan on doing anything but I got restless.

So I programmed a new key fob, the key itself should be here this week so I can have a second master.

Then I fixed some more of the damage on the front bumper. I decided it isn't worth the hassle of taking it to get fully repainted. Most of the damage is fairly minor, so I buffed the front and repainted the bottom side.
Before:

After:

And after an... incident... where I ruined the new shifter I got trying to fix it I received a new one. It took a little trimming for the shaft to fit, but it's on and I think it looks even better than the last one.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:59 PM.

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Ark View Post
I don't know about doing the timing belt. If I could get the crank bolt off with my air gun without having to hold it, I would probably take a stab. But I'll likely just take it somewhere after I accumulate the parts. I can no longer convince myself that I am saving money buying the car cheap and working on it myself. I got my wheel refurbished at Alloy Wheel Solutions, INC in Chantilly, VA, though that's not 100% accurate since they sent it out to get done. It cost $225. And here's the repaired wheel. Next up, get my buddy to make time to do the PDR.
From what I've read, air guns (even heavy duty ones) are not up to the task of taking off the crank bolt. With that said, the bolt is not something a large breaker bar and long pipe cannot tackle. Either way, I don't think the job is that difficult, and DIY'ing is seriously hundreds of dollars cheaper than having Lexus or independent mechanic in the area do it.

$225 is a little steep for the somewhat minor curb rash I'd like to fix (maybe it would be less due to less damage), but it looks like AWS, Inc did a good job from what I can tell.

Not to request too many favors, but I would love to see before and after photos for the PDR. I have been considering Dentmasters in Arlington or Detail Authority out of Fairfax (I think).

Good luck on the final steps!
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan View Post

$225 is a little steep for the somewhat minor curb rash I'd like to fix (maybe it would be less due to less damage), but it looks like AWS, Inc did a good job from what I can tell.

Not to request too many favors, but I would love to see before and after photos for the PDR. I have been considering Dentmasters in Arlington or Detail Authority out of Fairfax (I think).
$225 is steep for as far as I could tell was a straight wheel. If you can find another local place or one you can make local you should be able to get minor aesthetic issues fixed for a lot less. The trouble is with machined areas they have to cut it with a machine that not everyone has. Full paint is easy.

I'm going to PM you my pdr guy's info. I'm sure those places are great, but I will never use anyone but him.
I tried taking before pictures of the dents, but I just can't seem to get them to show up. There's a bunch on the roof and a few on the sides. It's not the worst I've seen, but it will give him a full day's work.
The first car I had him work on was my Legacy wagon and before it looked ok, but people would mention some of the dings because they know how much I care about my cars. After he worked on it, it looked like it was fresh off the dealer lot.

If anyone else lives in NoVa and wants his info, PM me.

In other news, look what arrived last night:

Could it be???

The second wheel I ordered was wrong, of course, and after I sent it back the order never got cancelled since they were still trying to find a replacement. I never told them to cancel because having a spare would not be a bad thing, plus I never actually thought they would find one. Now to figure out where to put the thing.

I've got some exciting, and what I consider really cool, updates coming next week. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:01 PM.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

This arrived tonight, taped up in a cardboard box.

It was shipped from Florida for $247, it's from an FR-S. At that price, I felt like I had to buy it. I have no idea when I will attempt to put it in, I'm going to be watching the thread where others do it. But this isn't a huge priority at the moment.

Again, next week should be neat.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Ok, so here's what I was so excited about last week:

So most folks will probably see them and say "Who cares? Tan seats, big deal." And for the most part you'd be right.
However the more astute of you will notice something a bit odd about the driver's seat.

Watch the link below.

That's right, the red marks you see on the headrest are from the dummy used in the IIHS crash test in 2002.

That means these seats have less than 100 miles on them. But what that also means is that they have been sitting around for 13 years and need some massive clean up.
I won't be cleaning the headrest though, I'll probably put that on a shelf, I think it's a really neat thing to have.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I installed the seats today. Everything appears to work. The seat heaters aren't going to burn you, that's for sure. I'm used to having to turn them down on my Subaru.

Here's how they look.

And here's the result of not sliding it forward on the tracks before trying to take it out. I was super pissed.

And speaking of my Subaru, and being pissed, this happened to it on Wednesday.

How it normally looks:

Low miles, no accidents, rare 2007 wagon... I guess all it means now is I'll really never sell it.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Gonna fix the Subaru? Looks mostly cosmetic
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

cool story on the seats

I really enjoy folowing this thread. Keep it up!
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
Gonna fix the Subaru? Looks mostly cosmetic
Yeah, it got towed to the shop where it's sat since. I don't recommend getting in a wreck at the end of the day before Thanksgiving.

Miraculously a witness stopped and the other driver's story matched mine when the police talked to her, so I'm hopeful everything works out. Oh, and I also drive with a dash cam, so I've got that if I need it.

My biggest concern is that it was leaking oil and I'm not sure why. I'm worried since it's a notoriously oil-finicky engine/turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysz28 View Post
cool story on the seats

I really enjoy folowing this thread. Keep it up!
Thanks so much. It's funny, I started this thread to help get my post count up so I can access the classifieds to try to save some cash on the parts I need. But by the time I reach 50 posts and the 3 months end I'll be done with it.

I'm now thinking of swapping the windshield washer nozzles and picking up the '03+ cup holder insert.
Of course, I may also talk myself into another console before I'm done.

Last edited by Land Ark; 11-29-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Great to follow this. I'll be going through something similar. Sorry to see the Subaru get wrecked. Hopefully it all works out in your favor.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awesome to see this. Been looking for some heated front seats for a while, was going to ask you what those 3 cars in Lynchburg had but you answered it. I'm in Fredericksburg. If you come across any SX rear black seats let me know!
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

FYI stay away from Ye Ol Wheel Shop. Terrible experience there a few years ago.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin311 View Post
FYI stay away from Ye Ol Wheel Shop. Terrible experience there a few years ago.
Good info for those wandering through here looking for a place. Thanks.

I'm sure you've seen them, but there are black SX rear seat pieces on eBay for... not an outrageous price. I'd say that's probably the best you'll find unless you're really patient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Justin Sanciangco
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page