User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This bumper is the very definition of "better to replace than try to fix." But $1000 is just too much for me to spend on one relatively minor area. I've sanded it all down and put 2 full tubes of Bondo for bumpers on it. I am not the master of this stuff. Some of it didn't get enough curing agent and won't dry. But, it is looking a whole lot better than when I started. My neighbor came by yesterday and gave me a card for a place he took his car to have the bumper fixed. I am going to take it out there to see what he says. He did my neighbor's for $250. I'll happily pay that since after spending $200 on supplies, I still have no way to add flex agent to the paint.

This is what it looked like after about 30 minutes of sanding. I have a 33 gallon air compressor that just cannot keep up with the amount of air that gets put out spinning the wheel.

This is round 2 of the bumper Bondo.

While waiting for the air pressure to build up one of the many times I took some steel wool to the exhaust tip.

Half done

Done

And next on the agenda, next week I plan to do the dash swap and stereo install. Here's the new setup:

And again while waiting for the air pressure to build I went ahead and installed the backup camera. I had to place it farther to the left than I wanted but there wasn't a flat surface to mount it otherwise. It sticks out about 1/4 inch, not ideal but it will still serve its purpose, I hope.

Also, the last wheel is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am praying it is actually 7.5" this time. If so, I got the tires Friday night so I can take it to get everything mounted and get an alignment. I may have them check on the grinding noises too. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Your posts almost sounded like you were talking about my car. I bought a SportCross with black exterior and tan interior a couple months ago that spent 13 years in DC, which resulted in scratched bumpers, curbed wheels, and even gouges out of the tire sidewall rubber. Having owned pristine automobiles, I actually am more than fine with the cosmetic issues, as I am never too concerned where I park it, etc. So, most of my attention since buying it has been making sure everything is in excellent mechanical shape. I hope it is not an odd question, but are you the "Land Ark" poster on truthaboutcars? I visit the forum daily and your username seems familiar.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan View Post
Your posts almost sounded like you were talking about my car.

are you the "Land Ark" poster on truthaboutcars? I visit the forum daily and your username seems familiar.
That's hilarious. Did you buy yours in Fairfax too? That would be too much.

I often think of how much better my life would be if I could actually deal with a beater. But I'm a tinkerer, so it'll never happen.

And yes, I am Land Ark on TTAC. I actually intended to post all this in the user forums but for whatever reason I can't get the posting page to load anymore. It's a great site for the most part, a nice change from Jalopnik.

And as for a quick update I dropped the bumper off this afternoon. $200 to fix it and I should have it back possibly tomorrow. We'll see if I get what I pay for.

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

My new wheel just arrived. Supposed to be 17x7.5 but it was not. So frustrating.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Ark View Post
That's hilarious. Did you buy yours in Fairfax too? That would be too much.

I often think of how much better my life would be if I could actually deal with a beater.

And yes, I am Land Ark on TTAC. It's a great site for the most part, a nice change from Jalopnik.
I bought my IS from the original owner who lived in Foggy Bottom. The purchase was an ordeal (the seller almost backed out of the sale after we agreed on a price and I paid nearly $300 for a PPI), but it went through and I think it was a good deal.

Life really is better for me not being paranoid about dings in parking lots and chips from rocks on the highway. I am satisfied just making sure it is pristine mechanically.

I too have migrated more from Jalopnik to TTAC. I seem to learn a thing or two quite often. For better or worse, I have perused those sites for years, but never was interested in taking time to make an account and contribute to the comment sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Ark View Post
My new wheel just arrived. Supposed to be 17x7.5 but it was not. So frustrating.
Have you considered having your wheels repaired? I honestly did not know that was an option until I started watching Wheeler Dealers some years ago. Anyway, I would love to know if somebody has a good experience, because I do have some wheels with curb rash that I would like to fix. I just don't have a repair shop I trust, but these shops seem to have good reviews:
Ye Ole Wheel Shop
Kwicksilver in Fairfax
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Have you considered having your wheels repaired? I honestly did not know that was an option until I started watching Wheeler Dealers some years ago. Anyway, I would love to know if somebody has a good experience, because I do have some wheels with curb rash that I would like to fix. I just don't have a repair shop I trust, but these shops seem to have good reviews:
Ye Ole Wheel Shop
Kwicksilver in Fairfax
I did look into it and I would ultimately prefer refurbing them than buying unknown refurbs. Both places I asked for quotes from (neither of the ones you named) said it would be better to replace them. Of course that was before they attempted to find them. Both ended up giving me quotes of over $200 + tire mount and dismount charges on top each. So more than the 50 pounds Mike always seems to get them done for. One of the places I contacted is near my office in Chantilly and I may end up going with them.
I also just emailed Kwicksilver for a quote. Thanks for the heads up on them.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:02 PM

I have no affiliation with these local shops, but I would love for someone to be a guinea pig.

Please let us know the quality of work and cost if someone refurbs your wheels.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Please let us know the quality of work and cost if someone refurbs your wheels.
Kwicksilver quoted me $125. I'll be contacting him to schedule an appointment. I'll be sure to report back.
I will probably mount my front tires on the new front wheels and put them on the back in the meantime.
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Called Kwicksilver and was told there's actually a rolling charge depending on the amount of damage. Up to $155. Plus, if it's bent then that's another $145. The Fairfax place is gone so the only location now is in Stafford (at least an hour and a half from me) so that's pretty much a no go.
The guy was nice and helpful. He's checking to see if the refurb place he'd send it to (he recently moved and presently has no CNC equipment so he sends the wheels out - should have equipment to do it on site by the end of the year) would allow me to ship it myself. But he doesn't think they will. So he's also going to search for a replacement for me. I am not holding my breath.

Picked up my bumper today. Looks good, not perfect but better than I would have been able to do. Only problem is two of the four the bolts I left in it went missing. I called back to see if they could find them but I doubt they will. I ended up calling a local Toyota parts desk and ordered new ones. They should be here Saturday.

It's one step forward and two steps back with everything. Frustrating, but I will persevere.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the update... that is too bad about the wheel repair. I assume that Ye Old Wheel Shop in Elkridge, MD is too far from you. Good luck with getting your bumper back on. I have found that even some of the basic fasteners (like the 4 for the engine cover) are special order via Toyota.
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Break time.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:55 PM.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

And 7 hours later...

White LED gauge and climate swap - backup camera functioning.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:56 PM.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks good
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Put the bumper on. Came out nice and worth spending the $200 on it. Well, $205 since the locator screws went missing.

And I wasn't doing anything so I took the new wheels and tires over to get mounted and balance. I'm still getting quotes for getting the rears repaired. I'm not going to put the new rear tires on until the wheels are complete. But that means no alignment until then either. We'll see.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:56 PM.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Minor update - I'm coming to the finish line, or at least, it's in sight.

I dropped a wheel off to be refurbished. Turns out there was only 1 7.5" wheel on the car. I had 3 17x7s. So I took the one already on the car to get fixed and put the "spare" 7.5" wheel on. Once it's back from being repaired, the car will go in for tire mounting and and alignment.

Today I spent a few minutes shaving the piles off the driver's door.
Before:

After:

It needs a good cleaning, but looks better.

So what's left?
I may take the front bumper to get repainted.
Moderately tint the windows
Paintless dent repair
Recover driver's seat
Timing belt service
Trans fluid change

I should have plenty of time to get it all done before I turn the keys over.

Last edited by Land Ark; 06-30-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page