Higher-mile SportCross with cosmetic issue worth $5500? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Higher-mile SportCross with cosmetic issue worth $5500?

Hi all,

I tried to submit this yesterday, but it didn't go through. Hopefully this doesn't end up a duplicate.

I've been looking for a few months to find a IS300 SportCross for a DD. I'm looking to spend $6-7k, so I'm mostly considering higher-mile vehicles.

I've had my eye on one for a while, but it's about a 9hr drive from me, so I want to get your opinion before I make the drive to check it out in person.

It's listed for $5500, and it has just over 200k miles. Clean title, interior looks to be in great condition (except some wear on the steering wheel), and the exterior is in great shape too - with one exception. After a parking lot fender-bender, the front left fender was replaced and repainted, and the color is a noticeably different shade.

It sounds like a lot of maintenance has been recently done, including timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and a bunch of suspension components. My only reservation on that front is that it has upgraded springs and adjustable ball joints, which makes me wonder if it's been driven hard (the blacked-out front emblem suggests this too).

Also, the seller doesn't want to take it to a mechanic for an inspection, which gives me a little bit of pause.

Here's the info I've gotten from the seller about the car:

Mechanical:
• Is the check engine light on? No
• Are there any abnormal vibrations as you drive, even at a narrow range of speeds? No
• Does the transmission shift normally? Yes
• Does the engine ever bog or hesitate at WOT? No
• Are there any fluid leaks (oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid)? Particularly, oil leaks at the camshaft seals? No
• Do you know the condition of the motor mounts? Engine mounts are good, there are no motor mounts

Body:
• Has the car ever been in an accident? Yes, drivers front fender was dinged by another car while parked, replaced and painted
• Does it have any significant dings? Scratch in back right corner panel, filled in with touch up paint
• Is there any rust, on the undercarriage or otherwise? No

Interior:
• Does the CD changer jam? No
• Are there any tears, cracks, or holes on the upholstery? No
• Do the power door locks all work? Yes

Misc:
• Are there any known electrical issues? No
• Are all the lights equal brightness that should be? (e.g. opposite headlights, opposite sidemarker lights, opposite reverse lights, opposite DRLs, etc.) Yes
• Do the headlight leveling motors function properly? Yes
• Is it equipped with the Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) package? (I think there’s supposed to be a light on the dash with the key in the on position.) Yes
• Are either of the master keys (the key with the button) missing? No
• Is the Lexus First Aid kit (bag with jack, tire iron, etc.) missing? First aid kit is missing, wheel, tire iron and jack are not missing and are in the trunk
• Is the dash sticky/melted at all? No
• Given that it’s a Lexus, I’m assuming it’s been pretty reliable – has this been the case recently? I’m looking for a car to drive across the country and use as a daily driver, so it needs to be reliable. Yes, very reliable and well maintained. My husband is a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician and has maintained the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hey, so i just got my SportX with 234000 miles on it had the sedan before. if everything has been maintained as they say you should be good. Your budget is 6-7 so if you get it for 5 flat i think your good but i love the SportX so i'm biased.
good luck either way.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivin' View Post
Also, the seller doesn't want to take it to a mechanic for an inspection, which gives me a little bit of pause.
Walk away from this car. It would be a solid no for me.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM

Hi, If your still looking for a sport cross for sale Im selling mine I'm in the San Diego area let me know if you are interested and I can send details. Thanks, Hollie
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdreams7 View Post
hey, so i just got my SportX with 234000 miles on it had the sedan before. if everything has been maintained as they say you should be good. Your budget is 6-7 so if you get it for 5 flat i think your good but i love the SportX so i'm biased.
good luck either way.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
Walk away from this car. It would be a solid no for me.
The seller ended up having it inspected, and the report was very clean except a few consumables (air filters and wiper blades). I ended up buying the car for $5000, and so far (in the 600 miles I've driven it) no regrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcrossmom View Post
Hi, If your still looking for a sport cross for sale Im selling mine I'm in the San Diego area let me know if you are interested and I can send details. Thanks, Hollie
Thanks, but I bought the one up in Oregon. Best of luck selling! If yours is the one I see on Craigslist I think you should have no trouble getting $5500 for it.

Based on my conversation with the seller I purchased from, you probably want to list it elsewhere than Craigslist (e.g. Autotrader). The seller said it was on Craigslist for quite some time and only attracted lowballers but began to see genuine interest once it was put on Autotrader. Because its value is largely based on the scarcity of the car, you need to find someone who is looking to buy that specific car - and odds are that person won't be within the same Craigslist region as you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM

congrats and enjoy
i personally love it more than my old sedan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Lurker

Congrats! At least the seller came through with the inspection. I sold my cars before and never deny bring it to an inspection.

After 13 years, I finally got my IS300... and an ISF in the same week. Lexus Fam!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page