Don't you hate when.. - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Don't you hate when..

You're going to see this coming long before I did.

I'm still getting the '03 I bought sorted out. I had someone do PDR to remove the hail damage and a few other dings. I then brought it to someone to do a professional exterior detail to take out some scratches and marks. He did a fantastic job on body panels and a taillight with rub marks. Only had two or 3 minor chips remaining on the passenger door that with a bit a touch-up will be practically invisible.

So I'm driving home with a big grin about how good it looked and thinking the next thing to do is put on a clear hood bra to protect against road rash and HERE IT COMES - a stone bouncing toward me from traffic pretty far ahead on the highway. Had no way to avoid it. Hit solid on the leading edge of the hood, down to bare metal and the paint flaked away when I checked it later. And another chip about 2 inches further up the hood. Not as deep but it actually dimpled the hood. I heard it roll over the roof but fortunately there's no evidence of that. Talk about feeling gutted.

So now to do some chip repair. I'm going to try the Langka product hoping that will help. I know it won't be perfect but with the clear bra on it eventually it will probably be hardly noticeable.

I know it won't be the last chip over time but couldn't I have had more than just 15 minutes of joy that day?

The work goes on.
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
Damn, sorry to hear about this Don! I would be so pissed! I get all flustered with any little rock I hear hit my car on the highway. What gets me really mad is those stupid semis filled with rocks and dirt and debris is constantly coming off those trucks.

Hope all goes well with the remaining repairs. Share us some pics of the finish product.

Cheers,
Josh

2005 MSM Sportcross: 4/10/09-12/4/13-Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI SOLD
2014 Subaru Forester XT SOLD
2007 Saab 9-5 Sportcombi Aero SOLD
2015 VW Tiguan
1998 Lexus LX470
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Aficionado

Get the clear bra!!!! I have one and I had the same thing happen, it took the initial hit and bounced up the hood, the second bounce chipped up the hood but I can only imagine the first hit would have probably dented the metal it hit so hard.

I bought one for like $35 off ebay with an upper and lower bumper cover, just take it to a prof. tinter to put it on for you if you're not skilled with the heat gun and squeege.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I have the clear bra on another car so I am a believer in the product. I just hadn't even made it home from the detailer to start the next step.

It must run in the family. Years ago my sister hit a deer. After a few weeks in the shop on the way home from there she got rear ended at a light. Drove it right back to the shop.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Follower

That sucks man. It's always something like that too. Don't you just love dump trucks driving down the highway, showering cars with pebbles?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:47 PM

I've got a ton of stone chips and not sure what to do about them. My car is black so they look terrible. don't want to repaint but if I do def. gonna do the clear bra. Its cheap if you do it yourself. I helped do it on my dad's Prius and it came out mint. It's held up good for 4 years now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Lurker

damn i know how that feels. did it leave a dent?
I've fixed several cars that got dented like that, had to PDR the dent and then have a professional touch up guy take care of the paint.

PDR Technician
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Guru

Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Garage
FYI, if the chip isn't filled flush to the surface, you will see an air bubble. I had one little chip on my bumper prior to getting clear bra. Now I have an air pocket between the film and the bumper. The shop did what they could, but the gap between the surface and the film is still visible. You should get xpel for your lights while you're at it.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > SportCross Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page