User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By White2003Lexus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

First time buyer - Thoughts on this IS300?

Hi all. I'm interested in an IS300 that I found in my area. I gave it a test drive today. It seemed to drive fine with the exception of making a kind of rubbing sound while turning on uneven surfaces.

I've been putting some thought into the car and I made a spreadsheet with some of the information on it. I've pasted it below.

Car
Year: 2003
Make: Lexus
Model: IS300
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Tan/Black
Mileage: 95,000 miles
Price: Originally $8,000, but said the lowest they can go is $7,000.

Problems - Additional Notes
Suspect suspension - Noise while turning on uneven surface. Last two services included suspension.
Cracked front bumper - Upper driver side, parallel to fender. Looks as though it was torn after hitting a curb or parking block. That whole side sticks out slightly.
Paint oxidation - Light. Typical of the age
Faded headlights
Faded fog lights
Wear and tear on rims
Worn/Dirty interior
Struts are beginning to wear down - According to owner (from what the dealership's service center said)
Unsure of warranty - Not sure how much the warranty will cover or of the terms. Owner said that it covers basically everything. There's about one year left on it according to him.

Known Prior Services By This Owner
Control Arms
Bushings (?)
Transmission Mounts
Cooling System

I'm a bit concerned about the suspension. It seemed to drive fine for the most part. I just don't want the suspension to give out on me. I'm not exactly sure of how the warranty works so I'm concerned that I'll be mislead with the warranty. I was also planning to get the timing belt, water pump, etc. changed with the warranty, but I'm unsure of if they'll cover it if isn't showing signs of wear or something. I can't really afford to have to pour much more money into it for repairs.

The owner said that he rarely uses the car anymore and that it mostly just sits around.

I need the car to be a reliable daily driver. I have no real plans to modify it. It seemed to drive fine, but I'm also very new to this.

Do you guys think it's worth the buy? I feel like all the problems lower the value below $7,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

It's my understanding that a warranty covers the car and the person that bought it.
Also a warranty is for a certain amount of time or mileage, not and. The car is 12 years old. Don't be fooled into thinking this guy has a warranty that will protect you. Turn off the radio, roll down all the windows and Take it around the block, jump on the freeway and drive it hard. Smash the gas, smash the brakes, turn hard, pull the e-brake and listen and feel how the car reacts. If it's leaking, over heating and you take it to a mechanic and he says that it's no good either get a second opinion or take then bus or ride a bike.

I bought my car because it's bullet proof to some extent. You take care of it and it will take care of you. There are members on this site with 300K + miles and still going after keeping up with maintenance.

Go to a Lexus Dealership and ask questions to the people that are certified and will tell you the truth to your face.

Most importantly spend 3 hours on this forum reading about the car, use the search function. We are all her because we have something in common. We love this car.

/end rant.
The Nuke likes this.

Build Here

Video Here

DIY Oil Filter Relocation Here

Follow Instagram.com/FSprtJK <--Here
Check out TireStickers.Com <--Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Dealers and Pricing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page