Lexus IS Forum banner

Finally Going Boosted

21K views 109 replies 29 participants last post by  phistration 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All.
I know this has been covered many times before but I just wanted to document my journey to being boosted here. So bear with me as I indulge myself in my dream as it becomes a reality. My car is a 2003 IBP IS300 manual that I have owned since new. It currently has 166,000 miles on it. So my boosted project is going to be done in 3 stages. Motor, Turbo, Transmission. I will post my direction on each stage and if you guys have some meaningful input I am all ears. My goal is a 450hp, pump gas, daily driver with OEM reliability. So here it goes.

I will be rebuilding the GE that is in the car with the following parts
CP Pistons and rings
Eagle Rods
ACL bearings
OEM gasket set
Metal Head Gaset 1.6mm
New water pump
New timing/tensioner belt
ARP headbolt/studs
Machine work on block
Mishimoto radiator

Turbo
T4 GT35R
Tial BOV
FMIC with custom piping
Tbolt clamps
Injector set
Custom Intake manifold
Tial wastegate recirculated
Stainless steel downpipe
Stainless steel midpipe
Fuel line/regulator/ walbro pump
oil line/feed and drain
AEM wideband
Greddy Profec boost controller

Transmission
I would love to do the AR5 swap but the threads are too difficult to understand exactly what is needed. If someone could chime in here I would greatly appreciate it.

If not I have an R154 on standby.

Attachments

See less See more
#63 · (Edited)
First, I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles!! That's a huge bummer!

Could just be the lighting, but the cylinder wall in pic 1 looks to be in lousy condition. Looks like water sat in there for a long time and began to corrode the wall.

Pic 3, that shows all 6: The walls look super duper used and shiny for a freshly machined block...? Not at all what I normally see in a fresh engine.

Regarding your proposed parts:

The ID1050 injectors are $$$, but awesome. Hard to go wrong there.

Between CD009 and T56, I think the T56 is a no-brainer. There's a current thread going where I pontificate my opinions quite strongly: https://www.my.is/forums/f114/r154-cd009-600hp-need-help-607085/

ProEFI is a great system, no doubt. You've been out of the loop for awhile, but some folks are starting to use Link ECUs - and are able to fully replace the Toyota ECU while maintain the functionality it provides such as cruise control, instrument cluster, etc. Xcessive Manufacturing offers a plug and play unit, where the ecu literally replaces the OEM ecu in the OEM ecu box. Pretty cool. Pretty new system, but I've been reading good things. Might be worth a look.

#64 ·
No rust on the cylinder walls. It is all goobed up lube. I cleaned it all up and unfortunately didn't take any additional pictures after I cleaned it. As for the shine on the walls it could be the lighting. I can see the honing pattern on the walls if that means anything...

#67 ·
So I just did a de-glazing hone on the cylinders and they do look better. I have cleaned the cylinder walls up and will be putting the crank back in tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

#68 ·
So this is the result of tonight's work. Got the crank put back in. Took longer than I was hoping for but at least it is done right. Tomorrow will be grinding rings. I was planning on going to the larger side of the gte spec. Any suggestions?

Attachments

#69 ·
Considering I don't see ARP bottom end bolts, I'm assuming you're not after that mystical 2J "1000hp" target...

As such, I see no reason to aim for the high side of the ring end gap specification. I would recommend .016-.017 (inches) for the top rings, and .018-.019 for the bottom. Whatever you choose for the tops, the bottoms need to be a minimum of .0015" bigger. If it were mine, I'd be going for .016" top and .018" bottom.

I don't know that it truly hurts anything, but I HATE HATE HATE seeing the vertical score marks in freshly honed cylinders on account of grinding burs left on the ring ends after filing.

I recommend you VERY carefully debur every edge of both ends of the ring EVERY time you go for a test fit. I use popsicle sticks with a strip of sandpaper super glued to it. It's frickin tedius as shit, but like I said - I just hate those vertical scratches!

#70 ·
Duly Noted. I was planning on doing that. I am looking for a daily driving target of around 500hp with a hope of something higher on e85 just for fun. I am planning on running a grx3076r gen2 because daily driving performance is more important to me. I am planning on running ID1065x injectors. I haven't decided what fuel pump to run yet. If there are any suggestions for reaching my performance goals I am all ears. My big unknown right now is what engine management to go with. I was planning Pro EFI but am back on the fence again. Listening contently.

#71 ·
Well, you have some great ideas and sound like you know what you want. I say you can’t go wrong with ProEfi or any of the modern Standalones (Infinity, Haltech, ECU Master). If you are using E85, make sure to get PTFE line and fittings, it will eat rubber lines. 500hp DD shouldn’t be an issue.

#72 ·
I have an old Master Power 72 on my car, and have been considering a turbo upgrade. Traditionally, I'm a Garrett guy - but the Borg Warner EFRs are very, very hard to ignore. I suggest you take a look at them, yourself. A call to PowerHouse or Full Race is probably in order - they have more expertise than me in terms of matching you up with the correct sized turbo, but I'd think the 7670 would be extremely responsive, with about the right amount of headroom for you to achieve what you're talking about.

ID1050 injectors will handle ~600whp on E85...and that's pushing them up to 90% or more duty cycle. They'll do it, but you might want a bit more headroom than that.

Who's going to be tuning your car? I ask, because most all of the current ecu systems on the market are quite good, and easily capable of making your 2J run well. Thus, it's not about picking "the best" ecu, but rather, picking the one your tuner is most comfortable with. A Megasquirt 3 is super capable, but if your guy isn't familiar with it - he'll either refuse to tune it, or you'll be paying him for a lot of hours of "getting up to speed", or perhaps he'll simply do shoddy work and you'll get a car that doesn't run great (or worse).

My advice is to pick a tuner, and get the ecu he suggests.

If it's gonna be you doing the tuning and you don't already know which ecu you prefer - then you've got lots and lots of due diligence to do. Downloading user manuals, downloading software, reading manuals, navigating software, browsing forums, etc etc etc.

Did you take a look at the Link plug and play kit that Xcessive motorsports offers?

#73 ·
When I run the numbers on injector dynamics web site it says that the 1050x will be at closer to 80%. What numbers did you use? I will look into the BW turbos. Are those internally gated? I think I looked at them a few years ago. As for the tuners that is why I am now opening my options because my previous plan/Tuner is no longer valid. If anyone has any suggestions for good tuners in or around MI let me know. I did see the link ECU but know nothing about it at all.

#74 ·
On a side note...I need an engine wiring harness because the guy ran off with mine. Does anyone know what the actual differences are between the automatic and manual engine wire harnesses? They have different part numbers. BTW my car is an original manual.

#76 ·
No idea what all the differences are. You'll need to pull out the wiring and diagnostics manual and do some studying.

Just a few days ago, I saw a manual 2002-2005 engine harness on one of the "genuine toyota parts" websites for like $875. Doesn't seem like a bad option, considering you get a brand new, unmolested harness direct from Toyota instead of some 15 year old piece of chopped up crap for $250 on ebay.

#75 ·
I don't care for Injector Dynamics' calculator. It assumes both a BSFC and a power based on AFR and boost. How do you know what power level you'll be at with a given boost pressure? I know they say their's is better, but I don't like it.

I used Fuel Injector Clinic's calculator. Like I said, the ID1050s will do it, but 600whp on (true 85%) E85 is going to be pushing them towards their top end. Based on the moderate price increase to get the 1300s, that's what I'd do - but the 1050s will do it.

The EFRs are available with both internal and external gates. Back in the day, we all said internal gates sucked. And they did. However, they don't necessarily suck anymore. The EFR internal gates are quite excellent, but if you prefer divorced - that's available too.

What Link has going for it, right now are two key aspects:

A smart dude has reverse engineered the CANBUS messages required to run the AC, instrument cluster and cruise control so that you can maintain that functionality WITHOUT the oem toyota ecu in place. That CANBUS programming is (currently) only available with Link. Most of the new ECUs can do CANBUS, but it's not easy to reverse engineer what the message formatting is.

Secondly, they offer a patch harness that makes the unit plug and play. You unplug the toyota ecu, plug the engine harness into the patch harness, plug the patch harness into the Link ecu, stick the Link ecu into the box where the toyota ecu used to live, and put the lid back in the box. You now have a full-featured, fully programmable standalone, without the loss of AC, instrument cluster, or cruise. Pretty nice.

I've not used this, however I've used other Link products in the past. They are squared away, quality products. I'd have pulled the trigger on one of these for my car, except my original engine harness has been chopped into, plus it's kinda old and crappy. So I'd prefer to make a new harness, skip the patch harness, and locate the ecu inside the car.

#77 · (Edited)
Does the link ECU allow you to still have immobilizer function?
There is also about a $600 difference between the 1050x and the 1300x. That is almost double the cost.

#78 ·
I'm not the authority on the Link ecu, you may want to contact Xcessive.

I *think* the OEM immobilizer is lost. However there are several different approaches to replace it with the Link.

Regarding prices of injectors: Gotta pay to play! I think I've seen 1700cc EV14 style injectors for under $300 on eBay. No idea how good/bad they are - but there are products available at every price point.

#79 ·
Yeah... I am willing to save a buck or two when I can but certain things like fuel injectors are not where I want to do it. The engine has some no name 650cc fuel injectors that came with it. They are sitting in a bag and will not be going back on the car. Plus they are low impedance injectors. I need to contact FIC to see if they have any IS300 applications. All they have on thier site is supra related. I already know they are different sizes. There is still a lot of research/learning that I need to do but keep the comments and suggestions coming. I am already learning a lot.

#80 ·
Well the piston ring gaps are set. .308mm and .483mm all the way around. Tomorrow will be piston installation. I am going to give FIC and Injector Dynamics a call tomorrow to see what the best option is for me. I have to see what tuners in the area are using now for ECU's.

#81 ·
Well I just looked up the ring gap on the CP website and looks like I have some more filing to do. Min .018 for turbo applications. Back to it this evening...

#82 ·
Tonight I regapped the rings to cp specs and cleaned all of the old assembly lube off of the rod bearings. Pistons will go in tomorrow and hopefully I will have time to assemble the head. Pics tomorrow.

#83 ·
Progress is slow because I am super busy but there is progress. Piston and rods are in. Rear main seal and oil pump are on. Oil pan #1 is on. Hopefully o will get a chance to visit a shop tomorrow and talk to them about timing options. I can say that I contacted ProEFi for some options on shops to tune in my area and they have been very helpful. They even reached out to the shop to start the dialogue.

Attachments

#84 ·
Work is still going on although at a slow pace. I have the bottom end finished. Now on to the head. I decided to go with ID1300x injectors and a walbro helcat 525 pump. Those should be here soon. I am still going back and forth on the transmission between cd009 and t56. Anyone with experience with the cd009 swap want to chime in? I am all ears.

#88 ·
Received the 525 hellcat pump and ID1300x injectors. Just ordered the T56 transmission swap this morning...hopefully I will have some time to put the top end of the motor together this week. Taking the turbo manifolds in to get ceramic coated Friday. Moving right along.

#89 ·
Haven't been working on the car much lately due to "Life". However I have been spending money...lol.... Work will begin again soon...

Attachments

#90 · (Edited)
Yes, yes you have spent some serious money!

I dont think the hellcat pump will fit the stock sending unit...what trickery do you have planned? It will be a good pump if you can get it to fit.

I’m working on getting a billet sending unit from an Evo to fit the IS300. Hopefully not much to it, plug off the Mitsu ports for the siphon pump since it’s all inside on a Toyota. The top hat is like 3/32 too big diameter, so it’s going to go in a lathe. Hope to test fit it soon, though, and not be a 400$ mistake!!!

#91 ·
I was planning on taking a look to see what modifications would be needed to get it to fit with the stock hanger. Otherwise I may just end up getting a dual hanger and going from there. I like what you have going on with your Evo hanger though.

#92 ·
Turtle moves over here...lol. The motor is basically done. I put some old cam covers on it to keep my pretty ones pretty. I am currently rebuilding the power steering pump. Once that is done it is on to the clutch.

Attachments

Reactions: TobiasSing
#93 ·
Looking good, and getting closer. Nothing good happens fast at this stage.

May I recommend a billet timing belt pulley bracket, while you have the motor out? The billet steel PHR with the bronze bushing and hardened steel seat is a good one. May as well get a better crank damper too.

I like your anodized VVTi pulley. Never seen that done before. My Evo hanger is working great so far. No leaks and measuring fuel consumption like stock. You could probably fit a hellcat on the Evo hanger. Otherwise, you’ll have to mod a stock hanger. The base of the walbros where it swells out makes it harder to fit. If you could find an IS300 SRT or Squash hanger I think they’d work with a hellcat pump, too.

I see the Mcloud clutch box in the pic, did you get a twin disc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.