Lexus IS Forum banner

01 Is300 Auto tranny shift problems

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sebas004 
#1 ·
Hi I recently bought an 01 is300 which seem like it's skipping 2nd and 3rd gear. I'm getting the cel p0763 which is shift solenoid C. Does anyone has any experience doing this and know how difficult it is to fix? Or would it be a better idea to purchase a new tranny and just swap it out? Would appreciate any input. Thank you

#2 ·
You can typically get a used tranny off ebay for close to the same price as a solenoid. The issue is you don't know how good the used tranny is.

The process of swapping the solenoid requires you to remove the oil pan on the transmission and expose the valve body.

Personally depending on the cost I might buy the used tranny and then first try the solenoid from the replacement tranny before swapping over.

#11 ·
You can typically get a used tranny off ebay for close to the same price as a solenoid. The issue is you don't know how good the used tranny is.

The process of swapping the solenoid requires you to solution crédit consommation remove the oil pan on the transmission and expose the valve body.

Personally depending on the cost I might buy the used tranny and then first try the solenoid from the replacement tranny before swapping over.
Yeah I will let you know the outcome!

#6 ·
The solenoids are electric and require plenty of juice to move them. Check you battery, battery ground, alternator first. Also check your MAF as it affects gear shifting. I once had a funky shifting issue and it turns out the battery was dying. Then I would do a transmission flush to clear any crud that may be binding the valves.

#7 ·
I'm getting the cel p0763 which is shift solenoid C.
He's getting this though. The solenoids terminate at the ECU so you could unplug the ECU connector and try checking the resistance manually. There's another connector on the end of the transmission and there are internal connectors inside the transmission. It could be a wiring problem but I'm skeptical.

#8 ·
The fluid and contaminants may be causing the issue. Cheaper than replacing components or tranhy.

"What the P0763 code means

The PCM (powertrain control module) in a vehicle with an automatic transmission utilizes shift solenoids in order to facilitate the various transmission gear ratios required to increase and decrease speed. These solenoids are instrumental in fluid transfer between hydraulic circuits and actuation of gear ratio changes. These changes optimize engine performance and enhance fuel efficiency. When your vehicle stores code P0763, it means that the PCM has detected an aberration in the function of shift solenoid C, indicating that the intended gear ratio doesn’t match up with the actual gear ratio.

What causes the P0763 code?

A shift solenoid C fault can be caused by one or more of the following:

Clogged internal transmission fluid passageways
Contaminated transmission fluid
Mechanical transmission failure
Low transmission fluid
A faulty shift solenoid
A faulty TCM (transmission control module) or PCM
What are the symptoms of the P0763 code?

When your vehicle stores this code you may not notice any symptoms at all, or you may experience rough shifting, slippage during shifting, transmission overheating, or complete transmission failure resulting in an inability to put the vehicle into any gear. You may also notice decreased fuel economy, an illuminated Check Engine light, and other stored shift solenoid codes. In addition, the vehicle may enter “limp” mode, which is a reduced power mode designed to allow you to make it to a mechanic. You should not drive the vehicle any significant distance in limp mode."

#9 ·
My vehicle entered "limp " last night. Low battery, issues, when in E-shit it does slips from gears. After entering 'limp mode' . When at a stop the vehicle will just completely turn off. Didnt have any power at all. I had to jump it serval times. I hope it's the battery itself. But if its more than that . How would I get in contact with you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.