Lexus IS Forum banner

new tranny options !!

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  White2003Lexus 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'm waiting for them to come out so people install them. I have a transmission, but I'm not willing to cut my tunnel out. If this works out, I won't have to (since they're apparently using the stock 1jz-R154 bellhousing to 350z transmission). Has anyone actually pre-ordered one of these?

#12 ·
From what I've heard, the ratios are very similar to the V160. Yes, it doesn't look like they have the option for the IS300. I haven't seen what needs to be done for the transmission mount.
The only issue this adapter solves is the mounting to the engine. You still have to run new hydraulic lines. You still have to fab a rear mount. You have to figure out where the shifter will end up and if you have to shorten it. You'll have to come up with a compatible driveshaft.

$600 for the tranny
$500 for the adapter.
$600 for the clutch and flywheel.
$200-500 for a driveshaft?

This is no cheaper than doing an AR-5 but the AR-5 is a known to fit solution in the IS300.

#15 ·
My setup will cost a bit less. I picked up a CD003 for $250 about 2yrs ago. It should only cost about $2-300 for a custom two piece drive shaft using my old rear section. I already am using the stock W55 transmission with a single mass flywheel/W58 setup. I'm going to need to pick up a SR20 clutch disc for this to work. So I'll need the $500 adapter plus the hydraulic lines with a T56 throwout bearing. I'll have to find a way to custom mount the transmission.

The only thing I'm not really liking is the adapter doesn't really line up like a stock JZ-R154/AR-5 bellhousing. Who really looks under the car though? As long as it works, and doesn't mess up the bearings in the transmission... My setup is going to be normally aspirated for the time being, but eventually I want to be able to put this behind a 1jzgte VVTI.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm a little leary of the fact you lose the dowel pins too. They're what give the bell housing to block it's ability to resist torque. You still have the dowels at the bell but you don't between the adapter and the tranny.

Have you trial fitted it yet? Seems like the shifter will have to be shortened a decent amount.

#17 ·
I have haven't bought it yet. I've been waiting on someone to do it in the my.is realm. I really don't want to be the guinea pig for this, as my car's a daily driver.

There's a couple companies building shifters that might work. I think I saw Maverick Motorsports and one from Serialnine that you can rotate the shifter to 3 different locations.

#18 ·
I think Im going to be the guinea pig guys. Im new to my.is but Im not going to wait around for someone to do it. Im going to need a lot of advice on the way along with a group to keep my hopes up and out of the dirt. I have a cd009 on the way. I just dont know which adapter to go with.. any suggestions? Ive seen three so far. I too feel as if the collins is the best way to go.

let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.