Lexus IS Forum banner

Comprehensive AR5 Swap Thread

182K views 185 replies 43 participants last post by  73luxury 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The purpose of this thread will answer all your questions about an AR5 swap into an IS300. I will cover part lists, Questions and answers, and at the end, an Installation. There are many options and variables to doing a transmission change on an IS300. We will start with the bare-bones parts list, and these will be the basic must-have for doing the swap.

NOTE, this part list may contain parts you already have, i.e., transmission bracket, isolator, bolts, etc. You will need to look at what came with your donor AR5 transmission and use some common sense to order what you need.

The highlighted gaskets I could not find them, but they are part of the original installation for the inspection plates, so I left the part numbers in the list

Now that you have the basic must have a list, now you have some choices to make. The AR5 and the R154 engage the clutch very. Differently, you need to choose which system you are going to use because it will directly affect which clutch you will need to buy.

Option A. The AR5 comes with a bearing retainer that uses a bolt-on internal slave that engages the clutch by pushing on it. This is an all in one system, but it may require the swap to a larger bore clutch master cylinder, similar to the size used on the solstice "3/4". If you choose this option, you can use the W series clutch components; this list is for you.

Option B. The R154 comes with a bearing retainer that uses an external slave and pulls a fork to engage the clutch by pulling on it. This system has many parts, but it may be the most familiar. If you choose this option, you can use R series Clutch components, and this list is for you.

But wait, that's not all. Then there is the aftermarket, where choices are endless. I will cover 2 that seem to be the most popular.

Option C. Spec and clutch masters make a multiplate clutch system that both use an internal slave that is made for the r154 retainer. Spec is a complete kit. It comes with your clutch disc, flywheel, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and clutch master cylinder. Make sure to special order for a correct clutch disk.!!!! The Clutch masters kit comes with the same minus the clutch master cylinder. So this set will vary, but all require the R154 retainer. This is a light list since there are too many variables to make it complete.

Option D. OS Giken makes a movement alteration kit that is compatible with the r154 bearing retainer. This kit covers the r154 external slave movement into a push style. I would consider a middle ground between the above choices, you still have your external slave, but you do not have to buy a lot of small parts. This is a light list since there are too many variables to make it complete.

Now that we covered the part options, you should have a much clearer idea of your parts list.

Now let's cover some questions about the AR5.

Q. Do I need to buy a certain year AR5?
A. Yes! the 06 and older use a traditional bottom mount. 07 and newer use a side mount system that connects to the solstice differential. This would not be ideal for the IS300 and will require additional work.

Q. Do I need to trim the input shaft?
A. No, there is sufficient room to fit.

Q. Do I need a custom pilot bearing?
A. Yes, ID 15mm and OD 32mm Driftmotion sells one.

Q. Do I need to buy the shifter JZX shifter cover plate?
A. Yes! If you want to have your shifter line up correctly for the IS300 application

Q. Do I need to buy the JZX Shifter?
A. No, you can buy a JZX shifter “more straight” or a W55 shifter “slanted slightly towards the driver”. Or alternatively, use an aftermarket w55 shifter.

Q Do I need a “special” clutch disk for the AR5 Spline?
A. Yes R154 flywheel Clutch Disc Diameter (mm): 240 Input Shaft Size (In): 1-1/8 Inch Number Of Splines: 26.
W55/58 flywheel Clutch Disc Diameter (mm): 236 Input Shaft Size (In): 1-1/8 Inch Number Of Splines: 26.

Q. Do I need A custom crossmember?
A. Yes, for a no compromise solution, the custom cross member is the best option, you simply use the AR5 mount and isolator, and it is a direct bolt-in. It can be found on a popular auction site.

Q. I have an automatic transmission. What other parts do I need?
A. I have another thread that can help answer questions for auto to manual swap.
Auto to Manual Swap, Wiring, Ecu, CC, NSS, CLSW, Trac...

Q. I have a Manual transmission. What other parts do I need?
A. The main thing a manual car will need is to wire their speed from the abs instead of from the transmission. Here is a thread that can help you.
How-To: ABS to Speedo Rewire for V160 swapped IS's...

Q. Do I need a custom driveshaft?
A. Yes, AR5 does not use a slip yoke. It mates to a 100mm cv joint. Driftmotion and driveshaft shop both make adapters to convert to 4 bolt flange. You can modify your two-piece driveshaft or get a one-piece telescoping driveshaft. The transmission output flange to diff flange is 51,” but you should always measure yours to verify!

Q. Lots of parts seem to be discontinued. Where do I find them?
A. Amyama trading company is a good site to find parts, often times at a greatly reduced cost. Shipping can be a killer, so try to get it all in one order!

Installation

Here is an installation guide for my setup “option D” Many steps will be the same for all other options.

Remove AR5 bellhousing, slave cylinder, and shifter cover,

Install 2jz bellhousing, and jzx shifter cover

Install breather plug

Install R154 retianer seal

Clean up, and apply fipg

Install movement alteration kit

Install pilot Bearing, I got mine from driftmotion, but all you need is a pilot bearing with an ID 15mm and OD 32mm.

Good time to do your rear seal!

Install your flywheel and torque bolts to your hardware specs, i.e., the arp will be different than stock.

Insert alignment tool and install clutch disks and cover plate

Install transmission to the engine

Used some spare connectors for the reverse light.

Swap slave shaft for movement kit shaft

Install cover plates

Install slave

Trim AR5 Isolator bolts. Always have the bolt on before cutting,

Install AR5 Metal Mount, isolator, and crossmember.

Install Driveshaft, clutch slave line to master cylinder

Install shifter

See less See more
#6 ·
Thank you Sir.

Thank you brandon for taking the time to make such a list
The original progress thread was so long, we needed a clean start with well documented information.

Awesome write up!

However, with the link to your old thread, all of the pictures are broken, just so you know.
Yes, my old image hosting stopped supporting free hosting. so I needed some time to update the thread with my current hosting site. It is now up!

Are there any particular year models of the ar5 to stay away from?
YES!!!!! do not get any side mount! 07 and newer changed to a side mount system that connects to the Solstice differential. This would only further complicate your swap. Purchase a 06 or older for a traditional bottom mount.

#3 ·
Thank you brandon for taking the time to make such a list

#7 ·
The AR5 you want, like Brandon already clarified, is a 2006 or older. I just wanted to add that the correct transmissions are called "without interim design change."

And Brandon, have you seen that sometimes they are labeled 2006/2007 without interim design change? Weird because a straight 2007 has the side mount like you said.

#10 ·
I can't say from experience only from what I've read in threads on this forum in regards to the r154 and how much power they can hold and if memory serves which it may not I believe it was the retainer that typically failed first in higher power situations. I'll try to dig up the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I think I see where you are coming from now, your talking about the bearing plate retainer. Yes I see that there is a upgraded part from Marlin crawler. I can't say if the AR5 unit is the same or different than the R154 because I haven't personally opened the two transmissions to compare. I have not seen mention of it either.

The point of using the AR5 for me at least is to have a alternative to the old, overpriced R154. If it ends up needing to be "built" I think I will have still made the right choice, seeing how I basically got the transmission for free, can't say I see that happening much with the R154.

#12 · (Edited)
Nice write up! Few quick questions for you about option A:

1 - Any specific year land cruiser for the master cylinder?

2 - What clutch? Having a hard time finding one with those measurements. Every 240mm 26 spline I come across is 1.375 in. input shaft diameter.

3 - Just to confirm, the bell housing you have listed, is a 1JZ bell housing?

4 - If I were to use, say, a B&M or Ralcorz short shifter I wouldn't need the JZX shifter lever right?

Lastly, not concerning option A, any input on using an AR5 from the Colorado or H3 instead of the Solstice?

#13 ·
Lastly, not concerning option A, any input on using an AR5 from the Colorado or H3 instead of the Solstice?
Anything can be made to work. The Solstice transmission is just the easiest one to fit. You'd have to figure out the mounts and determine where the shifter will come out on the transmission tunnel. Using the Solstice transmissions makes this swap pretty close to an R154 swap.

Any IS300 compatible shift lever will work once you put the proper housing on the transmission to convert from solstice to Toyota style shifters.

#14 ·
The 4x2 Colorado AR5 looks identical to the Solstice AR5 except for the shifter assembly. Since you're swapping that out for a Toyota one it shouldn't make a difference. But that's just going off pictures I was able to find online so I'm trying to get a 100% confirmation before buying a trans I can't use lol.

#15 ·
The 4x2 Colorado AR5 looks identical to the Solstice AR5 except for the shifter assembly. Since you're swapping that out for a Toyota one it shouldn't make a difference. But that's just going off pictures I was able to find online so I'm trying to get a 100% confirmation before buying a trans I can't use lol.
Looks like there's at least 5" or more difference between the shifter positions. I think you're making incorrect assumptions that are going to cost you some serious cash. You can see the colorado shifter connects right on top of the housing that the toyota housing extends. You can't mount the toyota adapter on the colorado housing too. Wrong number of bolts and wrong size.

#17 ·
Yeah seeing that as well. Just didn't have clear pictures to compare to at first, thanks!

1. 85-87 land cruiser clutch master cylinder cmt-032. I have one new in box if your interested you can pm me.

2. shouldnt be hard just get a clutch disk for a solstice or Colorado, or call your clutch supplier and give them your specs.

3. Yes the 1jz/r154 bellhousing or refer to the part number above.

4. That is correct, the shift lever can be substituted with any w55 or w55 compatible aftermarket shifter.

Lastly, the Colorado is very different externally than the solstice transmission. The shifter cover plate pattern is not compatible with the jzx shifter plate. The output flange is also very different. As ek9b18 mentioned it could potentially work, but you will be creating more work for yourself.
Thanks! Does the GM throw out bearing need to be mounted upside down? You haven't mentioned anything about that but after reading through ExtremeFam07's thread he says it does.

#16 ·
1. 85-87 land cruiser clutch master cylinder cmt-032. I have one new in box if your interested you can pm me.

2. shouldnt be hard just get a clutch disk for a solstice or Colorado, or call your clutch supplier and give them your specs.

3. Yes the 1jz/r154 bellhousing or refer to the part number above.

4. That is correct, the shift lever can be substituted with any w55 or w55 compatible aftermarket shifter.

Lastly, the Colorado is very different externally than the solstice transmission. The shifter cover plate pattern is not compatible with the jzx shifter plate. The output flange is also very different. As ek9b18 mentioned it could potentially work, but you will be creating more work for yourself.

#18 ·
Thanks! Does the GM throw out bearing need to be mounted upside down? You haven't mentioned anything about that but after reading through ExtremeFam07's thread he says it does.
I have the GM TOB on my car. It's because my V8 adapter requires it. I'd much rather have a conventional external slave cylinder. I just like being able to actually see it operate and being able to replace it without dropping the tranny is a large plus.

#23 ·
I used the whole driveshaft, however the drive shaft was shortened. The fixed end matches the IS300 differential flange. The telescoping end was converted to a custom flange to mate to the AR5 transmission.

I'll shoot him a PM. Would you happen to have the measurements for the crossmember, mainly the height from the tunnel to the lowest point of the crossmember?
I Don't have that measurement, you can find those awesome crossmembers on a popular auction site.

#25 ·
Hi. Thanks for the great info here. I'd love to do this but the funds are about dried up for the Lexus. I was curious about the cost before I look further into this and I got a good idea from what you posted.

So I created a Google Docs spreadsheet with options A-D and auto->manual info. There's still work to be done entering part numbers and cost of parts for the auto->manual.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kGInDiM3clZjhZmWr24-jWWEY3si8b6eEMUPmiUkpm4/edit?usp=sharing

To keep this list accurate it's not open to editing unless you want to edit it @Curran let me know. All others 'File'->'Make a copy...'

#29 ·
Is it possible to just replace the AR-5/MA5 input shaft to the Toyota Supra/Chaser/Soarer R154 input shaft to have matching spline teeth and get an R154 type clutch ?

This would be an easier way to just reuse R154 clutches and parts onto the 2JZ, no ?

I would assume the tail of the AR-5/MA5 can not be converted to use the R154 type tail end, since nobody has mentioned it or attempted to do so.

It would make it easier to just get drive shafts available from DSS or DM.

In for replies, I'm looking into getting an Solstice AR-5/MA5 very soon

#44 ·
Hi, some clutch kits will have varying clutch disc diameters, 240mm is the maximum. If act calls for a 236mm disc for there kit, that would be the one you use. I will update the thread to reflect stock size versus maximum possible size.

#41 ·
I just got my auto salvage license recently and I cant believe how many solstices there are in auctions and slowly in the junkyards. This swap is truly amazing and can be had for cheap. PM if you are looking for a trans on the cheap. I am not looking to make money off of this really, just trying to pay it forward in the community!!