Lexus IS Forum banner

Single IS300 GTE VVTI Build

60K views 137 replies 30 participants last post by  GTE IS 300 
#1 · (Edited)
Updates
Oct 15 2015: The car is currently at Induction Performance and will be tuned today.
Aug 24 2015: The car has been towed to Induction Performance to diagnose a triggering issue that is causing the ProEFI to run extremely rich and to get tuned. The car should be done by the end of this week.

Nov 19 2014
I made the decision to purchase a 2JZGTE VVTI from an Aristo. I chose to purchase the engine before getting an IS300 because I know that If I had a car to drop this engine into I would want to rush and put the engine in. The original idea was to just do a full maintenance and rebuild/upgrade the R154. Plans have changed and I keep adding stuff to the never ending list. From this point on I will be updating the thread as things get done. I'm expecting to receive a big piece of the build hopefully by the end of the week, really excited about it. I'll be turing on the engine next week to ensure that there are no leaks and an excuse to hear the cams. I will be posting a video.

Feeling like I just adopted my first child.

That same night I just couldn't wait to start working on the 2J.

Nov 20, 2014
I was up bright and early to see my work and continue.

Goodbye twins.

Nov 21, 2014
I got this bad boy on the stand.

Getting the parts organized.

Nov 22, 2014
Painted the valve covers wrinkle black and baking them to cure the paint.

Nov 23, 2014
The head was cleaned and the block was painted glossy black.

Nov 24, 2014
Intake runners painted glossy black as well.

Nov 28, 2014
its looking good.

Dec 5, 2014
Took a little break and went to test out this AR pistol I built.

Dec 8, 2014

Dec 12, 2014
Santa came early. The original idea was to do a complete maintenance on the engine and slap a turbo on it and go. Well the build did a 360. I took a quick drive to Real Street performance and picked up a set of BC 272 cams, BC valve springs, BC titanium retainers, BC keepers and supertech valve seals.

BC 272

Dec 15, 2014
New oil pump :)

Dec 16, 2014
Followed the TSRM to remove the old cams.

The Toyo Tool tool made it really easy to remove the old retainers

Dec 17, 2014
Somehow I was able to get this great deal from Induction Performance it was a black Friday special in December. I purchased a billet steel timing tensioner and received the Gates Racing belt free.

Dec 20, 2014
I stuffed about 10 feet of vacuum house into the cylinder and turned the crank to compress it, allowing the valve to stay put. The moment of truth came when the retainer was removed. Don't mind the oil sludge.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Dec 20, 2014

Helping out my cousin drop his 2JZ on a MK3.

Thats more like it.

Very time consuming to install the cams.

TOMEI cam gear

Dec 21, 2014
New oil pump ready to be installed.

Dec 21, 2014
New front main seal.

I got really lucky as all the clearances are in spec.

Took a drive down to Miami and got this R154 that will get the all Marlin crawler race upgrades

The order from Curt came in.

Dec 24, 2014
I had rebuilt the vvti cam gear but I ended up putting too much torque and broke the bolt.

Dec 25, 2014
Spent Christmas with the in-laws and they had just upgraded to these two.
2015 GS350 F-Sport

2015 RX350

Dec 27, 2014
Well a few days later we headed to Lexus of Pembroke Pines and we feel in love with the 2015 IS250 F-sport.

Jan 2, 2015
I got sidetracked after the visit at the in-laws and we ended up getting the IS250.

Jan 6, 2015
The reason why I started my build, my cousin's 2JZ. We fired it up that day everything turned out well.

Jan 8, 2015
The IS250 home at last.

Feb 26, 2015
My build had come to a slight pause, we had gone to two cruises and then I came back to work on the build.

Mar 10, 2015
On March 10 for some reason I googled my address and in google maps there I was building the engine stand back in Nov.

April 9, 2015
I went to Titan Motorsports to get a Precision Turbo 46mm wastegate.

#3 ·
April 9, 2015
I received this junk from suprastore they offered a replacement but I just didn't like the quality for the price. I returned it.

April 15, 2015
BW S362 FMW :)

That forged mill wheel looks awesome!

April 18, 2015
My cousin wanted to confirm that the LSD on the MK3 was working. CONFIRMED!

#5 ·
April 20, 2015
I'm getting the engine ready to test start it and make sure there are no leaks. Can't wait to hear those cams.

April 21, 2015
Painted the water neck wrinkle black.

I also painted the pulley with high heat low gloss black.

April 23, 2015
I ended up getting a cast manifold from eBay. I had to use these nuts on those two studs as the stock nuts would not fit.

B]April 26, 2015[/B]
The porting was suppose to be done by a good friend, but I grabbed the dremel and did it myself. I also polished it. :)

#9 ·
^ na, move it to the build section!

This is great documentation!

I have the same steel tensioner :approve: Just wish I had more alone time with mine to paint more stuff black! :lol:

Very nice!

p.s.: we also have a gun thread in the PL where you can show that AR pistol off!

#10 ·
Today I received the order from DriftMotion, which included drain flange for turbo and oil sump, turbo oil feed line, new bolts for the valve covers, oil outlet adapter fitting and o-ring kit for the injectors. This is everything I needed to fire it up but DriftMotion didn't include the gasket for the turbo drain flange. The stock injectors were temporary installed as the plan has changed. I made my own turbo drain and feed kit. Most of the vacuum lines have been installed. The aristo harness has also been temporary installed as I will be using a GE harness. The engine has been filled with fully synthetic oil.

Second oil feed that used to go to one of the turbos has been plugged with a oil pan drain plug. (seen on the bottom left on the block.)

#12 ·
I got a good deal on this small package. It includes the PNP harness for 02-05 IS300, 5 bar map sensor, IAT sensor and a few extra pins. I'll be adding more sensors that I know I can get for better prices, like the flex fuel sensor, Honeywell 150 psi fuel, oil pressure sensors and coolant temp sensor. This was a big decision, I wanted the PROEFI 128 features on my build and here it is. After two weeks of waiting it's finally here.

#17 ·
Last Tuesday I dropped off the R154 at Brevard Discount Transmission and Auto Center in Merritt Island Florida for the rebuild which was done by Chris. The R154 is ready to be picked up. Here are some pics of the process as he worked on it.

I got this tranny at a good price but it was sold to me as a fully working transmission(craigslist). Clearly we can see a broken shift fork. Great thing I decided to do this rebuild.

The stock bearing retainer vs the Marlin Crawler HD bearing retainer.

#26 ·
Thanks to JesLet who helped my out with some issues getting the jzx110 shifter housing to work with a Mk3 R154.
I didn't liked how only two bolts align with the extension housing, I'm sure someone who doesn't want to spend more money on this step it would work by getting really thin bolts with large washers and a nut as theres is space. I want a much cleaner look and would like to use all the bolts on the jzx100 r154 mount, I went the extra mile and purchased a jzx extension housing (not to be confused with the shift housing).

This is what neutral looked like on the Ralco shifter before getting straighten.

After getting straighten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.