Lexus IS Forum banner

is the Altezza black headlights easy install?

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  vietcious 
#1 ·
Lexus 1st Gen IS Altezza Headlight (Black Housing)

I'm thinking about getting these for my 02 is300. Not sure if it is easy install (plug/play) or something. Which bulbs do these take? Hid xenon? If anyone has these please let me know, im really looking into buying this set. Also curious if it still work with auto-leveling?

#2 ·
Installling them isnt hard. Its identical to the USDM ones. Same mounting holes and all. JDM headlights uses 9006 bulbs. You will have to splice 9006 plugs in place of the D2R plugs. Put in Halogen bulb and you can see at night. If you want HID, then you would have to buy a 9006 HID kit. Its easy, if you know electrical fundamentals

You will also lose the auto-leveling functions and might get a foglight indicator on your dash

#7 ·
I believe 1 mounting point doesn't match (not a big deal at all), they point the wrong way, you lose auto-leveling, you have to splice your headlight wiring to run "regular" bulbs, and you'll get ricer-flash because they only have 1 signal instead of 2. They look nice, but it's a billion times easier/cheaper to open your current set and paint them.

#9 ·
I believe 1 mounting point doesn't match (not a big deal at all), they point the wrong way, you lose auto-leveling, you have to splice your headlight wiring to run "regular" bulbs, and you'll get ricer-flash because they only have 1 signal instead of 2. They look nice, but it's a billion times easier/cheaper to open your current set and paint them.
Might be easy for you thats probably done it multiple times, but for someone thats never done it before can be nerve racking. If he has a shop do it, it would cost the same. Stop telling false info

You can get rid of the hyper blink by keeping the bulb in the other socket and have it dangle. Black tape the bulb and now its invisible

#8 ·
Are the cheap black ones on ebay reliable and work with auto-level? And do they take the hid bulbs? I just need some black headlights to go with my black wheels lol it will look really nice. Im afraid to take apart my stock ones and paint them and the lenses are bad shape.

#13 ·
The black housing Eagle Eyes versions are plug and play. I recently helped a friend swap one in and the harnesses fit right into the aftermarket eagle eyes. There is only one difference, if you twist off the bulb holder for the turn signals, the OEM does not twist into the aftermarket and vice versa. Not a big deal since you can just disconnect the harness and plug it into the new head lights.

I have pictures on my phone, PM me if you'd like to see what they look like mounted on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.