Lexus IS Forum banner

89 Mazda RX7 FC Drift Build - updated 7/28

43K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  FRaCTioNaL 
#1 · (Edited)
In this thread you will see the progress, frustration, and determination between 2 ricers and their struggle to craft a functional drift car with style that only Elton John could compete with. We live in a small, quiet town where the only dominating car scene consists of vtec, wheel gap, and fart cans. We are here to break away from this tradition by bringing a fresh, QUALITY build with attention to detail and showcase of skill (somewhat). This is the story of the "Pirate FC" and the bond between ricers so strong that it must be gay. Here is our story.

- Chad & Russell

A few months back a friend of mine and I came across a deal on a rolling chassis RX7 FC + spare parts at a price we couldn't pass up. So we jumped on it and have begun the tear down and accumulating parts for this build.

What did we get ourselves into - right off the trailer (cool body kit br0)

Pepboys special interior w/side of cheetoh's crumbs and AIDS

Spare parts in the hatch

Rat's nest in the bay

See less See more
#29 ·
Okay, so now it all looks like we're getting somewhere. I like when things fit..Rear end assembled. (middle school skateboards = true garage build)

Uhhhhhh sonnnnnnn. #AllGoldErrThang

Here's the 44mm vband adapter plate we had to purchase in order for the HKS manifold to accept the tial.

And now, as we wait to save more money and collect tax returns we found ourselves wanting to keep taking it further. I mean we already painted the underside of the car, so we figured let's clean up the engine bay. We're going to plan on running a custom wire harness and tuck, and we're also going to be plumbing all of the brake lines with our Wilwood pedal/reservoir setup. So we decided to fill/plug all the holes in the bay as well. We prepped all the the areas to be filled with filler by belt sanding them to bare metal, then a rough scuff with 150grit 3M bodywork sand paper, and then finally brake cleaning the area and quick wipe down before applying the filler. We used Evercoat metal glaze putty with cream hardener, stuff is amazing to work with and sand.

Also note, that this was days worth of prep, sanding, applying many layers of filler, mixing...But again, semi to somewhat worth it. We mocked up the front end too just for shitsngiggles.

What do you know about wheel clearance?

#31 ·
Damn, that shyt is starting to look sexy. Almost thought you guys were going to do all gold. Nice contrasting colors so far. Keep balling on a budget :cool:

#33 ·
Awesome work chad.

#35 · (Edited)
nice build... idk if i missed it but did you say what motor your putting in, the fuel pump lead me to believe its a 2jz.

#38 ·
madchyers; said:
In this thread you will see the progress, frustration, and determination between 2 ricers and their struggle to craft a functional drift car with style that only Elton John could compete with. We live in a small, quiet town where the only dominating car scene consists of vtec, wheel gap, and fart cans. We are here to break away from this tradition by bringing a fresh, QUALITY build with attention to detail and showcase of skill (somewhat). This is the story of the "Pirate FC" and the bond between ricers so strong that it must be gay. Here is our story.
They share everything

#39 ·
Thanks guys, we're planning on 13b turbo. Hopefully with bigger turbo, hks manifold, supporting fuel mods, bolt ons and standalone we should be able to squeeze 300-350hp out of it. Depending on how much we want to spend maybe even do a mild street port or something cool like that. This car is going to be shared between Russell and I, yes.

#42 ·
hadnt seen a 20+ year old car being brought back to life thread since i owned my 4th gen civic, definitely brings memories, awesome job on the car chad.

#44 ·
Wonder what the car looks like now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.