Lexus IS Forum banner

Do I have LSD? I need a replacement key! + General Info, where to look and more

140K views 69 replies 51 participants last post by  01 SolarYellow 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
PLEASE DO A SEARCH BEFORE POSTING A THREAD/QUESTION
yes I know the search doesn't always work, but it does work, keep trying, give it some time and try again when the server is less busy.

Also, READ THE FAQ & STICKIES, most info is posted or linked there.

Doing a search and reading the faq and stickies will help save bandwidth which will, in turn, allow the search to work more often and not clutter the forum with repetitive topics therefore allowing new info and discoveries to have more exposure. Thank you!

FAQ
http://my.is/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Everything from; choosing bolt on power mods, suspension mods, maintenance procedures to reviews, what to look for when buying a used IS300 as well as Forced Induction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001-2005 Definitive Change List;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=201863

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it ok to use lower octane gas?

Yes and no.
The car will adjust to run "ok" on lower octane gas. What it does is retard timing to prevent knocking or pinging which will cause damage to the engine. However, the car will not run optimally, that and long term risk of engine damage due to dirty gas, is it really worth it to save ~$5 a fill up? A few gallons in case of emergency should be fine, though. Just don't make it a regular habit.

The manual says to use only premium fuel. The inside of the gas cap says to only use premium fuel. If you want to run regular, get a car that runs on regular. Why buy a "sporty" car and then run crappy gas that will not allow the car to run at its peak and drive like a grandma when a civic will do the same without all that hassle?

My a/c smells very bad
Change your a/c filter. It's behind your glovebox.
Open glove box, pinch (push) both sides in and the whole glove box should swing completely open. You can prop it on something to prevent all your stuff from falling out or just let it drop. Whichever works for you.
There is a black door, open and pull the tray all the way out. The filter might look nasty. Chuck it in the trash and replace.

Suggested replacement every 10,000 miles or so. More often if you live in an area where the filter tends to get dirty quicker.

IS300.net store sells it, Lexus dealer sells it, park place lexus online sells it, irontoad sells it, carson toyota sells it, cost is under $20. park place has free shipping on all orders.

Blitz makes an "anti odour" filter that is rewashable, costs $50ish.

cdeslandes said:
First, change your AC filter.
If your AC still smells like a locker room, try this:

- start car, let engine warm up a few minutes;
- open all the windows;
- turn cabin air to full heat, full fan speed, out the dashboard vents;
- let that run 15 minutes to evaporate any H2O in the ducts;
- turn to full cold AC, full fan speed, out the dashboard vents, NOT on recycling;
- blow some Lysol for 30 seconds right into the AC inlet vents outside the car (usually just below the windshield)
- then let the AC run as is for a few more minutes to get rid of the Lysol smell.

Optionally, also remove the AC filter and blow some Lysol in there while the fan is running.

The Lysol will kill any mold present in the system and replace the mold smell with Lysol smell (which goes away after a day or two)

Works wonders. I do this on all my cars yearly, as my wife suffers from asthma and cannot tolerate mold.
Also, there is a drain tube that might be clogged;
BJ02ISgray said:
Update! Its been awhile I know, but I did find out what the water sound was from under the dash(its not coolant). Wow lexus is DUUUmmmb! There is a drain for the excess condensation. For what ever reason the tube that goes under the dash through the fire wall, was not clamped down (it's in the engine bay)and was'nt draining properly. It would just sag and collect water. This is mounted on the passenger side strut tower directly across from the headers. If you hear the water sound from under the dash this could be your issue. Btw, lexus tried telling me it was a hot/cold servo, and that its not under warranty so they would charge me to remover the dash. Such a scam!!!

Turning off Maintenance Required Light;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=259909

Stock Wheel Specs
LXS4Ross said:
stock IS300 wheels are 17 x 7 with a +50 offset. The Sportcross model has a +55 rear offset.
Sportcross wheels are wider in the rear at 17 x 7.5
Bolt pattern is 5x114.3

We have separate forums for each aspect of the car
ie;
Inside and Out for interior and exterior mods (aesthetic)
Go Fast for bolt on N/A mods.
Go Faster for turbocharging and supercharging.
Stop Drop and Roll for brakes sways, struts, shocks, coilovers, springs…
Wheels and Tires for wheels and tires, obviously.
Mobiletronics for headunits, ipod integration, nav retrofit, subs, tv’s…
Member Sale/Trade Forum + Member Wanted To Buy/Trade Forum For sales and request of IS300/250/350’s and related parts. No commercial selling allowed and we currently do not have a forum for unrelated items.

We also have forums for Regional meets, events and two forums for Offtopic discussion; The Parking Lot for general offtopic and The Garage for automobile related discussion (non-IS.)

Gas Capacity
IS300; 17.5 gallons. After the gas light comes on, you still have 2.5 gallons remaining.
IS250/IS350; 17.1 gallons. After the gas light comes on, you still have 2 gallons remaining

Oil Capacity
JW said:
Oil Capacity (liters/qts., without oil filter): 5.1 liters / 5.4 qts.
More if you use a bigger oil filter.

How to tell if my IS300 has LSD?
Look at the sticker on your driver door sill/jamb, look for the area that reads "A/TM"
You'll see numbers such as B02A, B02B, B02C
A=no LSD
B,C = LSD
If you are still unsure, call 1800 25 LEXUS and ask them to look up your VIN and they can tell you what options it came equipped it from the factory.

If you bought your car second hand, there is a possibility the owner of a non-LSD IS300 swapped in a factory LSD, if this is not disclosed, it makes things a bit more challenging.
Here are pics and info on how to distinguish the two by looking at the gears;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p=3637468#post3637468

More info on LSD's in the link below.
http://my.is/forums/f87/official-oem-lsd-thread-case-closed-important-info-inside-380603/

The methods of doing a burn out and checking if there are one or two tire marks / jacking up the car and spinning the wheels are somewhat debated and I am unsure if this is a valid way of determining if your car has lsd or not.

Info on how to perform a swap; http://my.is/forums/showpost.php?p=4278310&postcount=10

Lost Keys / Adding Keys / Replacing Broken Keys

2001 Models- If you lose both master keys, Lexus claims you will have to get a new replacement engine ECU, in addition to the replacement master keys, as the ECU is reportedly “unflashable / not reprogrammable”. There are reports of certain places being able to reprogram the ECU for you if you remove it and send it out. See here for more info; http://my.is/forums/showpost.php?p=2774522&postcount=4

2002+ Models- If you lose 1 master key or wish to add another master key, all you need to do is get a new key, have it cut, and get a transponder (if it is not included with the key already) and follow these steps;
There are two parts to this, the first is programming the Immobilizer, which allows you to start the car, the second is programming the transponder, which locks/unlocks and opens the trunk.

Lextech1 said:
To Program The Immobilizer |Chip that allows you to start car|

this is a long process, but heres what you will need
your new key
a MASTER KEY (one with the remote in it)already programmed to car.
to program the transponder- (thats the immobilizer part)
sitting in dr. seat, put the master key in ignition, and turn to on.engine OFF. press the gas pedal 5 times to floor and release. now press brake 6 times (press and release)
remove master key from ignition. install new key and turn to on...engine off. press gas to floor once. now wait. the security light will blink for about 45-60 seconds, then it will go off if you did it correctly. once the light is off, car should start.
black86 said:
i finally got it to work. since no one really commented in verifying lextechs method. maybe its because i have an 04. but this is what i did.

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. turn key to on but do not crank engine.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition. Turn key to on but do not crank engine.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

and bam! it started. i found those instructions online, but it didnt mention turning the key. so it never worked. just thought id try turning the key and it worked. so if anyone needs the steps to program the immoblizer for at least an 04 IS those are the steps.
Lextech1 said:
all IS300 ECU's after 2001 model can be reset to accept new keys if all masters are lost. this process also would be the best way to clear the missing key out. then you just program back in the keys you do have. You will not need a ECU. lock cylinder sets are available with new keys to match in one kit.
black86 said:
also this

To delete all but one key from the unit:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
4. Within 10 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the accelerator pedal seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indication all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the only key still programmed to work

Add Duplicate Key:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times.
4. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal six times and
remove the key.
5. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key into the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal one time.
7. After 80 seconds the new key is registered and the security light will go off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release the brake pedal 1 time.
If your key breaks and you would like a cheaper way to “fix” it instead of buying a new key and getting it cut, what I did was get a used key, cut out the old blade and transferred my blade into that housing, here are the pics and steps;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p=2878682#post2878682

You may have a total of 4 keys programmed to the system, if you add more, it will erase the other keys, oldest first. This is the actual Lexus pdf file with procedures;
http://my.is/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6201

I have seen new keys with transponders go for ~$80 on ebay, so keep an eye out, just beware the ones without the Lexus logos and the ones that are just regular keys (no place for transponder) keep in mind even the ones with the lexus logos may be knockoffs. You can reprogram a used transponder as well so you don't have to buy a new one, get a used key and use the transponder to save some $.

My car is sluggish/slow to respond
certain 2001 models had a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) posted by Lexus, which is akin to a recall, which called for replacement/reprogramming of the ecu and overly aggressive traction control which caused the car to hesitate in certain situations. More info can be found here;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=299797&highlight=trac+update

Some members have posted that they were able to get the dealer to perform the reflash on 2002 models as well.

Other things you can try to make your car less sluggish/more responsive are;
Clean your MAF How To Here
Replace intake filter
Make sure your car is properly maintained (oil, spark plugs, tranny fluid, differential oil, etc...)
Then reset your ecu (unplug negative terminal on battery for a few minutes, press brake pedal to expel remaining power in system, reinstall the negative terminal) and go for a very spirited drive. This will allow your ecu to relearn a more aggressive driving pattern.

Also, make sure you have PWR on, it allows your car to shift at a higher rpm for more spirited driving.

Turning TRAC OFF will also add to the responsiveness for spirited driving, just be careful as you will spin out more easily in rain and such if you are not careful or do not have the skill/familiarity to adjust your steering and throttle input to maintain control of the vehicle.

See less See more
#60 ·
Lost Keys / Adding Keys / Replacing Broken Keys

2001 Models- If you lose both master keys, Lexus claims you will have to get a new replacement engine ECU, in addition to the replacement master keys, as the ECU is reportedly “unflashable / not reprogrammable”. There are reports of certain places being able to reprogram the ECU for you if you remove it and send it out. See here for more info; http://my.is/forums/2774522-post4.html

this link isnt valid any more i called them 7/23/13 and they do NOT reflash ecu anymore
so im stuck

#61 ·
Hey so with my 01 is300, I look at the drivers door chasis and it says B02C so I should have LSD...right?

In my driveway theres an upwards incline onto the main road. I often turn around my car to drive forwards out. And where the pavement ends on the side theres a corner with small hole....

Sometimes, I've gotten my rear left wheel in that area. And when I accelerate, it won't drive out...I thought with LSD it would be spinning the right wheel too to push me out?
I usually find just reversing and driving around it gets me out the easiest...

#62 · (Edited)
Yes, you have LSD according to that 4 digit code. You can also verify by simply looking at the white sticker on the bottom of the diff.
M98, M85=LSD
M96=open
(Taken from http://my.is/forums/f87/official-oem-lsd-thread-case-closed-important-info-inside-380603/)
Our Torsen diff is torque sensing so it will act like an open unless both wheels have a load and the diff locks. That's why with an open diff you will only spin one tire while doing a burnout. Same thing as if you raise the rear end, it will act like an open until you gently apply the brakes while giving some gas and both wheels lock and spin the same way.

#64 ·
Sewell replacement key with discount - eternity

Has anyone bought the Eternity key lately from Sewell with forum discount?

No electronics, just the shell already cut to your vin?

How much?

:)

#67 ·
thanks to all the people who help making those thread. All those informations are very important to new owners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.