Lexus IS Forum - View Single Post - Rav 4 Roof Rack Retrofit...
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
duckofdoom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Rav 4 Roof Rack Retrofit...

So, I had been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to put it together.

I've been annoyed that my SportCross doesn't have a roof rack since I bought it - what proper wagon doesn't have a roof rack? The Gita rack would be sweet, but doesn't exist in the US. Yakima and Thule systems are too big and bulky looking. I wanted something that looks stock.

I had been eyeing Rav 4 roof racks for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger. It turns out that it's a great fit... with some light modifications. This setup takes advantage of the existing holes in the SportCross roof and looks like a stock item.

I'm pretty pleased with the result. I even threw on a Rav 4 antenna as well.

The kit is sold on eBay for around $150. It's not OEM Toyota, but the quality is good enough. The only substantial modifications needed are drilling additional holes in the front mounting plates and shortening the siderails by about 6 inches. Other than that it just come down to some minor tweaking and trimming rubber bits, etc. Oh, and you'll need different screws than what comes with the kit.

Up next, crossbars and a bike tray!

Here's a link to all of the pictures: Rav 4 Roof Rack

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome