Lexus IS Forum - View Single Post - white_is build thread! (Bumper back on... 1/1
View Single Post
post #1097 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
white_is
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminence View Post
The lips are anodized clear, so the airplane paint stripper might not work out too well. I remember doing a set back in the day, using OFF Oven Cleaner to strip of the anodize.
Well that was a big fat fail. Looks like you were right, the aircraft paint stripper did NOT work.

I went out and bought Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner and it worked just fine.

Should have just listened to you in the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by notatl View Post
dangitt...back to the drawing board!! anywhoo, great updates buddy!
I know...

I'm continuing on with the rebuild though.

Bolts are done. Something like 148 out of 156 of the bolts are "perfect". There are very few spots or imperfections on any of them so I'm pretty happy with them.

DSC_8444 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8446 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Started taking apart my center caps. There are three parts to them: the emblem, the polished ring, and the other piece lol. Right now I'm stuck trying to get the emblem out of the ring... Not really sure how to go about it without damaging the emblem.
DSC_8448 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I gotta find some new bolts for them too but it's not a big rush or anything. I should be able to find them fairly easily.

Since I stripped all the clear coat off the lips they are ready to be polished. I started working on the one with the most curb rash... I've got most of it taken care of but it still needs a lot of work. The other three aren't too bad but I may end up taking all of them to be polished. Schools about to start so I'm not going to have hardly any time. Plus wet sanding when it's 35*F doesn't sound like much fun.

Started sanding the inner barrels. Need to take the wheel weights off and do some more sanding. I'm just going to rattle can them so they can be touched up.

Gotta figure out what I'm doing with the nuts for the back. They are FILTHY. Worse than the bolts were, and I haven't been able to clean them up much at all. I may just see about buying new ones.

I'm leaving the faces and the other part of the center caps for last. That way if I come across a set of used wheels I have to have I can sell these without a buyer being locked into a color

FINALLY replaced the shaft on my KS shifter. Was definitely frustrating at times, but I got it done and it really didn't take too long.

DSC_8438 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8437 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8442 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I think that's about everything for now...

Last edited by white_is; 02-22-2018 at 06:38 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome