Lexus IS Forum banner

New to Forced Induction? All answers inside!

137K views 114 replies 53 participants last post by  cleansleeper 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 · (Edited)
just to let everyone know... I updated all the "LINKS" threads so that the most recent posts are at the top of each list of links, save for a few that needed to stay at the top no matter what.

so just to clarify, threads towards the bottom of the list are older...
the only place I did not do this was in the list of members cars, that list from top to bottom is oldest to newest...

thanks for helping me get everything up to date, you have all been very helpful!

edit: 2/4/2008: added the "aux injection systems of all types - LINKS" thread. thanks to isifmobile for tracking most of those links down! give him some +rep for that!!!

#3 ·
added a couple suggested links, one to the parts links [thanks Jonnyd] and one in the EMS links [thanks o24drsupra]... I really need to do an overhaul and add some of the recent threads that are quite pertinent! Thanks again to everyone for their continued input!

#6 ·
wow super organized

#7 ·
Ok, ill go through the links after work, but im looking for opinions and availablility on kits.

Ok, Turbo kit recomendations thread, last post 2007 and not a single kit recomended? It shows supporting mods, Im looking 300-350 rwhp. Links to places that make them, if they still do?

#36 ·
Talk to the CEO of SRT, hes a big help on questions you may have. Best company (imo) is SRT for easy 300-350hp is300. email is right here for you :)-->sales@swiftracing.com

#9 ·
Running 425hp on a stock ge block? Is that going to blow it, or will i be fine. Being told i should rebuild it. Yes i know its a good idea. But thinking just running 425 wont hurt it. Cause i have to build up my tranny first. Running auto e-shift

#10 ·
Running that much power your most likely going to have to rebuild the block depending on how hard you run the car. It will prob be the safest bet and save you money in the long run beleive it or not. Do it right the first time. Once you re buld the tranny and the block you will be able to run even more power than that if wanted.

#11 ·
#13 ·
hey guys i was just on the SRT web site and ran across this

Swift Racing Technologies - Stage 3 Complete Turbo Kit

let me know what you guys think of this turbo kit.. and does it really give your stock motor that much of a gain...and is this worth it?:confused:
Use the search function! Many guys are running this kit. It's worth the money if you know nothing about turbos. If you can shop around you will build a kit for less than that. Don't forget that buying this kit is not the only thing you will buy to go turbo.

#14 ·
Ebay turbo kit question

I am looking to boost for cheap for now. Im trying to decide weather to piece together a basic kit or buy one from ebay and just upgead parts as I go. I have pieced together a kit for my integra and accord in the past but I know this is a entirely different car. Here are some links I came across. If they are crap tell me why don't just say "those are crap"

2JZGE 2JZ-GE MK-IV IS/GS/SC GT45 TURBO TURBOCHARGER KIT | eBay
TOYOTA 2JZ GT45 TURBO KIT SUPRA SC300 IS300 2JZ-GTE 14P | eBay

#20 ·
I am looking to boost for cheap for now. Im trying to decide weather to piece together a basic kit or buy one from ebay and just upgead parts as I go. I have pieced together a kit for my integra and accord in the past but I know this is a entirely different car. Here are some links I came across. If they are crap tell me why don't just say "those are crap"
Where is the dislike button for this?

I don't know about going all out on coilover suspension as it depends on what you want to do with the car and how you drive it. If it's a daily driving car with 300 or so hp, I think if everything is not worn out too bad you could just make sure your tires are good. I think the manifold would work and the intercooler piping could be cut to fit your needs. You could even look around for a GOOD used turbo that is not a knock-off. Same for the wastegate.
I am lost with what your trying to say here, he never said anything suspension related in his first post.

#15 ·
The most important parts of the setup aren't even brand name. The turbo, BOV, and wastegate are all shitty. That turbo is way too big, especially if your power goals are around 300whp. A GT45 is meant for power goals of higher than 500 whp. You'll needa spend a lot more money on internals and whatnot just to be able to use that turbo in its apporpriate range.

Save your money. Buy used stuff if you really want to go boosted. A used TiAL WG will be better than an ebay one. Also, if you haven't done the necessary coilover/springs/struts, sway bars, braces, good tires; don't go turbo.

#16 ·
I don't know about going all out on coilover suspension as it depends on what you want to do with the car and how you drive it. If it's a daily driving car with 300 or so hp, I think if everything is not worn out too bad you could just make sure your tires are good. I think the manifold would work and the intercooler piping could be cut to fit your needs. You could even look around for a GOOD used turbo that is not a knock-off. Same for the wastegate.

#18 ·
Do you have any supporting mods now?

Even if the turbo last for more than 3 months, that big mo-fo wouldn't spool until 6K and your (assumed) stock internals would not last long.

Big turbos like that give people drunk-o vision.

the hunt:
Damn that turbo is so hot, it would look awesome under my hood...

the action:
sweet I'm getting some boost action... now only if it didn't take so long to feel good. Wait, there it goes!!!...
and its spent.

the next morning:
You are leaking fluids and wish you were back in normal operating condition.

#19 ·
Things you can get universal:

- Intercooler (I'm running Godspeed)
- Charge pipes (make sure there is a MAF flange on it)
- Turbo manifold (GE specific, GTE exhaust ports are different. I'm running XS)
- Downpipe (I'm running XS)
- Oil lines & fittings (though I wouldn't cheap out on these, check out JEGS)

Things you should get brand named:

- Turbo (T4 flange - Precision, Turbonetics, Garrett...I ran an XS for 2 years - though everyone here will tell you they're crap)
- Wastegate (A 38mm or 40mm wastegate is enough for your power goals)
- Blow-off valve (HKS, GReddy, Tial, Turbosmart, Synapse)
- Engine management (I'd go GReddy EMU for your basic setup)

#21 ·
#26 ·
im piecing together my own kit, i would go with what madchyers said, its exactly what i am doing. although i did get a xs power turbo from a SC300. havent finished getting all the parts yet so i can't tell you the end result. don't forget to upgrade your fuel system too.

here is a link to some rebuilt turbos, i almost got one, these might be a little big for your goals tho, im not sure.

http://usedturbos.net/Catalog/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=53

Also check into running a Holset turbo off a diesel, its popular, esp among the supra guys from what i've read. you can get em pretty cheap too. you just have to weld the internal waste gate. some one correct me if i'm wrong, this is just what i've read and been told.

#27 ·
Some people do guy, its capable. People see it as a kit to buy and not piece together, but not have the funds to do the rest. It just like everything else out there that gets pieced together, just some different parts, and a shitty wastegate that comes with it

#31 ·
I'm using pieces of the club NA-T / XS power kit. I have about 1000 miles so far no issues. The kit is very incomplete , the down pipe that came with it went in the trash, the manifold works but had to move the break lines out of the way , lots of fabrication went toward making everyone fit . At low boost no complaint. I had a professional instal so they pretty much rip the kit apart and replaced some things. I took the 13lbs spring out and put a 8lbs spring fromtial. I think the turbo manifold and wastegate are okay at low boost. The kit is just the manifold,turbo , wastegate ,BOV, and some oil feed lines and fittings . You will have to purchase everything else seperately. Get SRT if you can. My build could of been a train wreck if my shop didn't know what they were doing.

Reactions: SE-Rious
#35 ·
NEED HELP! Is this good or not?

I have a 2005 is300 with 60,000 miles on it. Its an auto and I have wanted to boost it for the longest time. I don't want a monster just something fun to drive around. I have a little knowledge about boost but nothing major. After talking to a few people they recommended me a shop and this is what they sent me. My car is currently all stock and i need to know if this is a good deal, will it hold up, any flaws or concerns you guys see? They have said it'll take about a week. Thank you guys for your help!

From mechanic: The entire kit I can get for $2100. There are cheaper kits out there but I wouldn't be able to warranty them. The cheaper ones use universal fit parts that have to be cut and modified to fit. Also they are a lot lower quality and may crack under high temperatures. I'm only charging $1000 for labor since you were referred by another customer of mine! If you would like the car dyno tuned i would be able to that for an additional $1000! What i mean by this is computer and engine management by Greddy or the use of an SAFC. If you would prefer something else we could do that also. Dyno time would be included in that and would probably need the car for several more days to make an appointment with our dyno guy! The kit will be ok to drive on without the tuning and will be safe on low boost. The tuning is to get the maximum power on your setup while maintaining reliability for daily use. If you dont have the cash to do this right off the bat your setup will be just fine without the fine tuning!

TURBO KIT INCLUDE :

Lexus IS300 Front Mout Turbo Intercooler Piping Kit(JDM Sport)
Intercooler Piping are CNC Machine Mandrel Bent (Jp Design)
Made From High Quality 6061 Aluminum Material with Black finish.
Extra Thick Piping and Increased Air Flow
Light weight design. Made from Aluminum.(Increase 10-20 HP).
All TIG Welded 6061 Aluminum.
PSi Drop under 0.2. Other Intercooler usually drop 10Psi Some are More.
Comes with 4x Turbo Pipes, T Bolt clamps, Couplers and Various Accessories
Pipe comes with RS/S Type BOV flange already prewelded.

JDM Turbo Front Mount Intercooler (Godspeed)
Intercooler Piping are CNC Machine Mandrel Bent (Jp Design)
Made From High Quality 6061 Aluminum Material
Extra Thick Piping and Increased Air Flow
Light weight design. Made from Aluminum to increase 10-20 HP.
PSi Drop under 0.2. Other Intercooler usually drop 10Psi Some are More
Size: 28"x7.5"x2.5" Core: 21"x7.5" with 2.5" inlet/outlet

LEXUS IS300 2JZGE Stainless Steel Turbo Manifold (Godspeed)
High Quality T304 Stainless Steel material with CNC Machine Made
Made to withstand high temperatures without breaking.
Direct Bolt on to the block
Best Fitment with T04B T4 Turbochargers and 40mm or 50mm External Wastegates

T04B Wet Floating Bearings Turbocharger (Godspeed)
Oil Cool
CNC Machined Flanges 4Bolt Designed fit most After market Mainfold.
25 to 35 Psi Peak Power Performance Output Capability.(factory warranty).
Designed Usable for External Wastegate Applactions only
Compressor Specs:
3" Compressor Inlet
2.128" or 54.06mm Inducer
2.752" or 69.91mm Major
2" Compressor Outlet
Compressor .50 A.R.
Compressor 50 Trim
8 Blade Propeller Type
T4 Compressor Housing
Turbine Specs:
T4 Type Turbine
T4 4 Bolt Flange
2.539" or 64.50mm Exducer
Turbine 1.15 A.R.
Turbine 70 Trim
2.880" or 73.16mm Major
T4 Twin Entry Turbine Housing

LEXUS IS300 2JZGE Stainless Steel Turbo Downpipe (SSA)
High Quality T304 Stainless Steel material with CNC Machine Made
Made to withstand high temperatures without breaking.
Direct Bolt on to the Exhaust
Best Fitment with T04B T4 Turbochargers

50MM External Wastegate(JDM Sport)
CNC billet aluminum T6061 housing for heat disbursement
4 Bolt Flange set up for turbo applications.
Inconel base housing with forged stainless steel valves construction
Heavy duty actuator diaphram withstands temperatures up to 490 degrees celcius
High temparature silicone reinforced actuator diaphragm inner design
Weld-on flanges are included with every kit.
Wastegates includes steel hardware bolts.
Boost adjustable with use of any high performance boost controller.
External wastegates are commonly used for fast spooling and keep back pressure to a minimum and still regulating boost levels more precisely than internal wastegates in high power applications, where high boost levels can be achieved.

RS Type Blow Off Valve
This Blow Off Valves Are Easily Adjustable To Prevent Both Premature Boost Leakage And Compressor Surge.
The Spring Stiffness Adjustment Screw And The Two Different Size Give The User The Option To Match Vehicle
With Mild Upgrades To Heavily Tuned Engines
It Can Hold Up To 1200HP Or 25 PSI Of Boost Pressure
For All Turbo Application

Turbo Feed Oil Line Kit (Alliance)
Made Out of High Quality Aluminum
Oil Feed Line for turbo
Improves Turbo Oil Cooling for all Engine types
Steel Braided to withstand High Preussure and also withstand Extreme Heat
1/8 NPT Fitting as require for Most TO4B Turbo application

Oil Drain/Return Line
Made Out of High Quality Aluminum
Oil Return Line made for turbo
Helps circulate oil from the turbo to the oil pan
All components are included for fitment
Steel Braided for Maximum Durability
10 AN Fitting as require for any Turbo application

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.