Lexus IS Forum banner

CEL Code Database - Ask Question's Here

2M views 182 replies 82 participants last post by  01 SolarYellow 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Great idea. This should be helpful for the numerous CEL threads we get every week.

#4 ·
I might as well start then lol...I just pulled the codes from my car and I get the codes p0110 and p0430. Would this be the o2 sensor or am I looking at the cat as well?

#5 ·
PO110 seems to be your Air Fuel Metering.. that would point me (i would think) to the MAF sensor. You may have to clean that out, and the worst case would be to replace it ($150)

PO430 is catalytic convertor failure.. which means you'll probably have to get a new cat.

#6 ·
Thanks for the assist, I found out that besides my MAF sensor being dirty, my alternator gave out so I replaced it too and it seems to have gotten rid of my CEL codes period. I have a feeling though I'm going to have to replace the battery as well since it is getting up there in age.

#7 ·
Help, I failed emissions!

I have an 2004 IS with 80k miles and I have 4!!! error codes! I am in a slump right now and don't can't afford a high bill to get all of these fixed. I need a good solution on the best steps to approach to get this fixed, asap. Do I need to go to a shop and pay them to run a scan? please help guys:confused:

Error Codes
P0154- no circuit activity detected
P0430- catalyst efficiency below threshold-bank 2
P2127- AF sensor signal stuck lean 21
P0153- circuit slow response

#24 ·
Just go to an auto parts store and they'll lend it to you to get your codes. That's about as manual as it gets. Haha

I have p0442 and p0446. I checked everything for the most part. I think I may have to have my Evap system thoroughly checked by my bro in law's shop and possibly change it.

#14 ·
p1349 code mechanic trouble

hi, ive got an 02 IS auto

i had error code p1349, took the car to the mechanic and they told me my vvt solenoid needed to be replaced so i had them do that along with some other work (timing belt, water pump)

picked the car up and 20 miles later the same code came up

took the car back in and they said they had put the solenoid in incorrectly which took them all day to fix and then they took half of the next day to fix the timing

picked the car up and 2 miles later the same code came up

took the car back and they have it now and are still working on it

Are there other areas they should be checking out for p1349?
Could the CEL be malfunctioning and should they be able to figure that out easily?

Any help is appreciated and let me know if I should provide more info. thanks

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
hi, ive got an 02 IS auto

i had error code p1349, took the car to the mechanic and they told me my vvt solenoid needed to be replaced so i had them do that along with some other work (timing belt, water pump)

picked the car up and 20 miles later the same code came up

took the car back in and they said they had put the solenoid in incorrectly which took them all day to fix and then they took half of the next day to fix the timing

picked the car up and 2 miles later the same code came up

took the car back and they have it now and are still working on it

Are there other areas they should be checking out for p1349?
Could the CEL be malfunctioning and should they be able to figure that out easily?

Any help is appreciated and let me know if I should provide more info. thanks
first of all how do you put a vvt actuator in backwards? and fix the timing? this is an INTERFERENCE motor, if the timings off you got bent valves, sometimes if your oil does not show up on the dipstick or your motor is sludged your vvt actuator wont work because its not getting oil pressure,

did it idle rough?

#21 ·
#23 ·
Trouble Codes P0016 and P0037

Ive got a check engine light with the trac flashing. Pulled the codes and I got two P0016's and a P0037.

P0016- Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A
P0037- HO2S Heater control circuit low (bank 1 sensor 2)

I know the P0037 code means a faulty Oxygen sensor and I plan on replacing that tomorrow. What I dont know about is the P0016. Should I be concerned about this? Car is running like a champ. Talked to the service department at Toyota and they said it was most likely a hickup because P0037 usually causes the car to run like crap. Reset the ECU and they came right back.

Also, can I get a Ox sensor (PN 89465-53200) at toyota.

#26 ·
Sorry, I don't know about it. I say this because I know it's frustrating to not get any answers at all. Lol, did Toyota not say anything about what may be required? You might want to ask them what would be required since it came back on; that's what I would advise you to do.

#27 ·
p0442,441,446?

Took my car to autozone to get checked this morning, and it threw out these 3 codes.. can anyone explain them to me? The guy there..well.. he just didn't explain it good enough, I'm so confused!

p0441- BBEVAP system incorrect purge flow
possible:
block vapor canister
vent solenoid malfunction
purge solenoid malfunction

p0442- BBEVAP system small leak detected
possible:
failed vent solenoid
loose/missing fuel cap
purge solenoid malfunction
evap hose faulty

p0446-BBEVAP system vent control circuit
possible:
open or short circuit
poor electrical connection
faulty vent solenoid

what the heck does this all mean?!

thanks in advance =)

#28 ·
There are several other threads that explain all this information...try to use the search function.

To make things simple, you may need to change your gas cap. Get it tested at an auto service shop. If that doesn't work, then you may have a damaged hose in your EVAP system or, possibly, a bad VSV sensor.

I have the p0442 code and I'm currently working on getting it off, myself. My gas cap is fine so I'm left with the hoses. I'm going to smoke the system to see if anything is leaking. If that doesn't work then I'm going to have a Toyota or Lexus dealership professionally diagnose it for me.

Good luck with it!

PS: try that search function next time, it works wonders! :)

#29 ·
Cel

p0446-BBEVAP system vent control circuit
possible:
open or short circuit
poor electrical connection
faulty vent solenoid

That is the main problem. Its inside the Evap canister. 9 out of 10 times ita the evap canister. Check connections and hoses next to and aleaving it. Replacing the evap canister should fix the problem.

#30 ·
Sweet, thanks for the tip Is3Tree2002 aka hero of the day. Lol, I planned on doing that but hearing it from someone else makes me feel better about it.

I'm Ron Burgundy; you stay classy, San Diego.

#31 ·
I've fixed my P0037 code by jumping the wires from my working O2 sensor.

But, I still have the P0016 code (Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A)

I checked the resistances for the sensors and got 1.0 K Ohms for the Camshaft Position sensor and 2.1 K Ohms for the Crankshaft position sensor.

Can someone confirm these readings are correct. Both were taken with a cold engine.

#35 · (Edited)
quick question if you have to replace one bad O2 sensor should you replace all at the same time? I just got all of them replaced due to the technician telling me its better all get replaced once one has bit the dust. So I bit the bullet and got them all replaced. My engine light went off and the trac light as well. Which was good but now its 4 days since i got that fixed and behold today when i turned on the car there were my two friends the CEL and Trac light both on. I am so pissed. I will be going back to the shop but have to wait till tuesday since tommorow is a jewish holiday.

Update when to my sears auto center, could not wait till tuesday. The code was P0453= Evap emission control to high. Well they took of the code and the CEL and Trac light went off. hopefully they stay off. Still going to take it in back tot he shop and see what they tell me. Anyone ever got that code before?

#36 ·
Code P0453!!

Hey guys my CEL light and trac came on. I went to get the code read and it gave out P0453 (Evap Emission control to high) Does anyone know what this might be. The shop took off the code, it has yest to return but I'm hoping it does not. Also I recently changed 02 sensors. Any feedback would be helpful.