Lexus IS Forum banner

Got Gap? Fit & Finish problems on your car, specifically the dash:

23K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  EYW8888 
#1 ·
Because a few of us have noticed gap on the dashboard, we've decided to start a specific thread to those, please post your observations and any pictures. Some may say we're being overly picky, but this IS Lexus and it wasn't uncostly! Let's keep tabs on this so if we go to the dealer we'll be armed with info.

#2 ·
yup i've noticed on the left side of the center console where the vinyl meats the plastic there is a larger gap than on the other side... also my rear bumper doesnt really match the paint of the rest of the car

#18 ·
also my rear bumper doesnt really match the paint of the rest of the car
This is on every car. Any make model, on any dealership. I sell Hondas and noticed this as well. Looking further into it. Because the bumpers are made of plastic, and the hood, fenders, etc are all metal. They are going to be very very close. But not perfect. It is usually noticeable on white colored cars.
It takes bright sunlight and a close eye. But if you look, you'll notice a very slight difference. Again this is most noticeable, or only ever noticeable on 'white' colored cars.

#12 ·
I DO!
just after 3 weeks of purchase it started. I took it in and they fixed it, but the fixed lasted about 3 months. Now it is back; not as bad but it is there.
I took the car back and since the rattle happens in really bad and hard road they couldn't "find it"

#9 ·
anyone else have a slight random creaking noise that comes from the drivers B pillar/seatbelt area?? I can always hear it from my left ear and can never pin down the exact location. Also anyone have the 3rd brakelight cover squeak and rattle when you have the stereo semi loud?

#10 ·
I got a gap between the dash and my Navy system as well, I'ma take it in soon to get it fixed along with my maintance check.. -_-

#15 ·
i never had that cracking noise in my car but rattles started occurring. so the other day i brought it in to have the rattles fixed which the dealer says it's fixed (not that i've had time to pick it up yet). but i've got a loaner vehicle that does have that cracking noise and it's utterly the most annoying sound ever.

almost all of these problems should be covered under warranty so if anyone has large gaps in the dash or cracking noises, the warranty covers it.

#19 ·
I've experience the cracking noise from the dash. The sound is like a stone when it hits your windshield. My car is a 2009 and of course the service rep claims he's never heard of this issue before. I'll be taking it in for repair ASAP cause that noise is irritating.

#24 ·
Just a quick update, I got a service rep that acknowledges that Lexus has a problem and the issue seems to have been fixed. I'll have to verify once winter is here because I believe the expanding and contracting of the dash plastic is causing the noise.

#21 ·
Im having the same exact issues too!. same exach thing.. its sounds like cracking plastic when the dash had been exposed to heat from the sun and I turn the AC on.
I'm going in this weekend at herb chambers lexus in sharon MA for the brake dust issue, and excessive squeaking on the driver side door handle when I open and close the driver side door.I will bring the "cracking/dash poppong sound issue" to their attention.
ill keep you guys posted.

2007 awd is250 starfire pearl

#23 ·
bring it in to the dealership. thats definitely covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. as to the noise in the dash, of course right when i bring it to the dealership, the cracking noise didnt make a sound. so basically, they could not duplicate the cracking noise, so it was labeled as functioning as designed. no repair necessary.

#25 ·
I too had some major creaking noises coming from the dash, especially in cold (crappy design in my opinion) as the dash shrinks when it's cold and expands when its warmer. I took it in to the dealer and they said it's a common complaint. They covered it under the warranty and added additional insulation to the contact points of the dash. It has gotten better, but it still makes some noise. With warmer weather approaching I don't expect it to be an issue, but I will be taking it in again this winter. I also have experienced the occasional popping noise of the dash and it is very annoying. I guess i'll have to turn up my music for the time being...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.