Lexus IS Forum banner

*DIY* P0161 O2 sensor B2 S2 change (pics)

87K views 117 replies 72 participants last post by  jasonm4 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is for the Bank 2 Sensor 2

I tried to make this as simple as possible... Enjoy!!

Unbolt all 4 bolts holding down the seat

Remove the plastic molding and lift up the carpet a little

When you take the seat out make sure you unclip the wires for the power seats that are under the seat. For air bag connections disconnect the battery and wait at least 90 seconds before disconnecting the SRS yellow connector.

Lift the carpet up enough to see the harness for the O2 sensor. You will need to unclip this. You can also see where the wire leads to under the car.

You will need to jack up the car to get to the sensor. Once you do that locate the 02 sensor and remove it.

Once I removed the sensor I re-scanned just to double check things and as you can see their is a 0.000v for the oxygen sensor 2 bank 2.

Now you need to wire the new sensor onto the harness. So make sure you match up the right wires ;)

I connected the 2 Black to the 2 White...
1 White to the 1 Grey...
1 Blue to the 1 Black...

After you have the new sensor wired up just screw it back in (dont forget to add antisease on the thread of the sensor) and reconnect the harness that goes under the seat

I re-scanned to make sure the sensor is working. The pic is a little blurry but you can now see a value for oxygen sensor 2 bank 2

Now your all set just clip the carpet back in and put your seat back.

See less See more
#2 ·
SOLDER THOSE CONNECTIONS!
those crimping connectors are not good enough.
also you can take the factory connectors apart, and install the new wires into the connector, rather than have that little mess in your car.

#3 ·
Lextech1 said:
also you can take the factory connectors apart, and install the new wires into the connector, rather than have that little mess in your car.
Yeah... I know I should of but I didn't have a soldering gun with me... Its no biggie the wires are easy to get to, so Ill just do it later.

Thank for the input

Brandon

#8 · (Edited)
chrisCARL0S said:
Or incase you strip the O2 sensor and don't want to spend $40 in labor getting replaced, after spending $130 on the sensor itself?
I got a Bosch sensor for $78.79

Yeah I was worried about stipping the thread but patience, WD40, and a little elbow grease did the trick. I didn't even bust out the breaker bar.

When I put the new sensor in I used some antisease on the threads

#89 ·
I'm comparing the Bosch and Denso. The Bosch should come with the connector box right? The Denso pic shows the oxygen sensor has a plug that goes under the passenger seat. Or do I have to cut the wires anyway on the Denso to connect to the original plug? Does anyone know?

I have CEL P0161. I don't know which one to get.

#12 ·
wingzero said:
why would you cut the wires?...wouldn't the new O2 sensor come with the harness so you can clip it in the factory connection, assuming you got your sensor from the dealer of course?
nope... I didn't get the sensor from the dealer. I bought a Bosch for less than $80 from a local parts store (with a special discount) I didn't mind cutting the wires it took me less than 10min to wire it up.

#15 · (Edited)
Lextech1 said:
i must be retarded, because i tried this, and failed. the stock connections have to be torn apart to take the wire off. and then the green wire grommet cant be taken off easily. does it matter which black wire goes in which place? since theres two...

#18 ·
jvillagran2000 said:
if you cut and crimped the wires,would it have been easier to cut them down by the sensor itself/y-pipe and then used some heatshrink wrap to water proof it, instead of taking the seat off.
best advice all day...lol
makes much much much more sense...

#19 ·
is it just me?

I just had the check engine light come on yesterday.
I checked it at autozone tonight and it's p0161.
It seems like several other people got this code very recently. Anything going on out there? Did we do something wrong to trigger it?
Isn't this covered under emissions warranty?
Thanks.

#20 ·
jvillagran2000 said:
if you cut and crimped the wires,would it have been easier to cut them down by the sensor itself/y-pipe and then used some heatshrink wrap to water proof it, instead of taking the seat off.
I was thinking about that but I wanted to cut them past the rubber grommet so the connections will be inside the car. I think the wires are a lot easier to work with when they are completely out of the car IMO. Im sure the are other ways you can do this but it was my first time.

Brandon

#21 ·
AltezzaBob said:
i must be retarded, because i tried this, and failed. the stock connections have to be torn apart to take the wire off. and then the green wire grommet cant be taken off easily. does it matter which black wire goes in which place? since theres two...
the black wires dont matter

as for cutting the wires I just matched up the wire length and then cut as far up as i could (past the grommet). There is a little metal clip that is holding the grommet to the existing wire. I just took that off.

Brandon

#22 ·
Brandon714 said:
I was thinking about that but I wanted to cut them past the rubber grommet so the connections will be inside the car. I think the wires are a lot easier to work with when they are completely out of the car IMO. Im sure the are other ways you can do this but it was my first time.

Brandon
Cool.+ rep for the DIY.

#23 ·
Help!!!!

How would i got about connecting these aftermarket wires to the stock one on the car?...i don't want to mix up these wires...if nebody can help pls reply back ASAP, and another thing im having a hard time gettin the old sensor out....is there a easier way or ne tip on getting this stupid thing off..?????

#24 · (Edited)
2nyce2touch said:
How would i got about connecting these aftermarket wires to the stock one on the car?...i don't want to mix up these wires...if nebody can help pls reply back ASAP, and another thing im having a hard time gettin the old sensor out....is there a easier way or ne tip on getting this stupid thing off..?????
The stock sensor should have 2 black, 1 Blue, and 1 White wire(s)

The new sensor well at least the Bosch one I got had 2 White, 1 Black, and 1 Gray wire(s).

I tested the wires to come up with this final setup...

I connected the 2 Black to the 2 White...
1 White to the 1 Grey...
1 Blue to the 1 Black...

Hope that helps,
Brandon

#26 ·
geneod said:
I just had the check engine light come on yesterday.
I checked it at autozone tonight and it's p0161.
It seems like several other people got this code very recently. Anything going on out there? Did we do something wrong to trigger it?
Isn't this covered under emissions warranty?
Thanks.
I used to get this code in my 99 4runner. I replaced the MAF sensor in the intake and it disappeared. It's cheaper too since you can get a MAF sensor at a junkyard for $50.

Just to make sure it's actually the MAF sensor, clean it first with an electronics cleaner and disconnect the battery. Put everything back and drive it for a while and watch if that code appears again. If it does, then you may replace the MAF sensor from a junk yard.

It works in my 4 runner so it might work on the IS too.

oh, you can check the voltages of the sensor to see if its working correctly.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.